[Poll] How would you rate episode 609?

How would you rate episode 609?  

698 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

I liked the episode.  It looked great and was a visceral thrill....despite leaving a lot of dramatic tension on the table.  I liked it despite the flaws, which have been talked to death already.  It is frustrating that the sympathetic characters succeed lately despite their judgment and actions, not because of them - Jon enters a fight that is a longshot at best and is well on his way to losing it before being bailed out by someone else.  Arya in Braavos.  Bran surviving the WW attack after opening the door for them. etc.  It would be more satisfying if these characters failed despite their competence, rather than succeeding despite their bad decisions.

I also like the show despite what are, imo, valid complaints about dialogue and characterization.  But the show producers are in a difficult if not impossible position:  they have to hit the major plot points that GRRM has outlined for them and they have to get to the end very quickly.  A lot of mood-setting and atmosphere - not to mention entire subplots and storylines - simply must be omitted from the show, and the storylines that survive have to be truncated.  The characters almost have to be treated as chess pieces now, and the producers need to get them all to their final positions.  And that's where I have trouble faulting the choices that have been made, even when they feel clunky - like replacing Victarion with Yara/Theon, who now have extremely fast ships.  I don't know what endgame the producers are bound to, so it's hard to second-guess the ways in which they've made the characters' paths to the endgame more...efficient, to put it as positively as I can.  

Would it be possible for the show to keep the characters, dialogue, and plot more nuanced and coherent, while getting all the chess pieces in their predetermined places?  Perhaps.  Probably, even.  But we are on the express train to the final destination now, and even if these are the illustrated Cliff's Notes, at least they're well illustrated.

1 hour ago, Ingelheim said:

One thing I forgot to mention: if Miguel Sapochnik doesn't win the Emmy this year, we riot.

He's been flawless so far. Best directing I've ever seen on a TV Show. Hardhome is still my TOP 1 episode, but this one goes to the TOP 5 easily.

Hes exceptional, he makes all other directors look like chimpanzees.

I'm not sure I really buy that the bad dialogue, poorly chosen character beats and story elements are due to how much ground they need to cover to bring everything to a close and how little time they have left to do so.

I think most of it comes down to poor characterization. 

10 minutes ago, Daske said:

Probably the most enjoyable hour of television I've experienced in 40 years!

Have to agree, best scripted hour I have seen in a long time. I have watched it twice and probably will watch it once more this week leading into the finale. I have talked to a lot of people who watched it and not a single person was anything but amazed with the episode.

One thing I liked a lot surprised me, it was the horses and them charging and the way they were shown in the battle. And the shot of the headless horseman riding by, then getting hit by Wun Wun.

18 minutes ago, johndance said:

I gave concrete evidence that the overwhelming majority of viewers thinks this episode was a 10/10. What proof do you have that it wasn't? 

Hahaha... [coughs] ...Sorry.

That's similar to saying Jurrasic World is the fourth best movie ever made because it's the fourth highest earner at 1.6 billion. Spectacle, opiate of the masses, whathaveyou.  

Edited by JEORDHl

21 minutes ago, johndance said:

I gave concrete evidence that the overwhelming majority of viewers thinks this episode was a 10/10. What proof do you have that it wasn't? 

I don't deny that  the overwhelming majority of viewers thinks this episode was a 10/10. My comment was in regards to your statement that numbers don't lie, a very naive comment in my opinion. 

22 minutes ago, JEORDHl said:

That's similar to saying Jurrasic World is the fourth best movie ever made because it's the fourth highest earner at 1.6 billion. Spectacle, opiate of the masses, whathaveyou.  

Glad you think the majority of people on this board are morons and somehow you are superior to them

26 minutes ago, JEORDHl said:

That analogy doesn't work at all. Jurassic World grossing 1.6 billion dollars isn't any indication that people thought it was good, only that a lot of people went to see it. If johndance had used viewership numbers in his argument, the analogy would have worked a lot better. People giving the show a 10/10 isn't really an indication that GOT is the best tv series ever, only that the vast majority really enjoyed the episode.

4 minutes ago, Dragon in the North said:

That analogy doesn't work at all. Jurassic World grossing 1.6 billion dollars isn't any indication that people thought it was good, only that a lot of people went to see it. If johndance had used viewership numbers in his argument, the analogy would have worked a lot better. People giving the show a 10/10 isn't really an indication that GOT is the best tv series ever, only that the vast majority really enjoyed the episode.

Yeah it would be like Transformers 2 getting to the top of the IMDB top 250 best ever movies consistantly. (Even if IMDB is hardly a good measure) 

The level of snobbery is very high here.

I gave it a 9. The battle itself was a superb achievement, a real visceral depiction of the horrors of medieval warfare. 

I particularly liked the juxtaposition of the conversation between Jon and Melisandre, and the crush that Jon finds himself in during the battle. The fact that he gave himself a DNR, but then when it came to it he metaphorically resurrected himself, and emerged from the darkness into the light. 

4 hours ago, johndance said:

Second time around you can pay attention to details more. 

At least someone does, d&d sure don't. 

Every aspect of what goes into a TV show was absolutely top notch. 

So you don't consider writing to be an aspect of making a television show? 

Other sites with many more active participants that have rating polls agree. One has 95,000 votes and the AVERAGE SCORE IS A 10/10

So there are 95,000 10's out of 95,000 votes. You do know what an average is, don't you? 

Case closed imo. One of the best written, acted, and directed hours in TV history. Numbers don't lie. Most viewed, highest rated, surely multiple Emmy winning, and great reviews from critics. Checks all the boxes. I'm not sure how you can argue otherwise. 

Easy, I watched it. Popularity doesn't equal quality. You obviously do not know anything about writing if you are calling an episode with major and undeniable flaws in the writing "one of the best written hours in television." 

I understand that you loved and enjoyed this episode, and I respect your right to rate it a 10. But to claim that the writing was even decent is laughable. 

You claim that numbers don't lie, well the vast majority of people on this poll that loved the episode and rated it very high, still admitted that the writing was sub-par. 

Simply put, the numbers you are throwing around are in no way "concrete evidence" to support that Got is a quality show. 

4 hours ago, johndance said:

Re watched it and it's a 10+. Second time around you can pay attention to details more and I'm astonished at how flawless everything was. Aside from the obvious directing, visuals, choreography which are all masterful, the dialogue and writing is world class as well. Every aspect of what goes into a TV show was absolutely top notch. I'd recommend to watch it again if you have time to be able to appreciate the masterful subtlies in the acting. 

Other sites with many more active participants that have rating polls agree. One has 95,000 votes and the AVERAGE SCORE IS A 10/10. Case closed imo. One of the best written, acted, and directed hours in TV history. Numbers don't lie. Most viewed, highest rated, surely multiple Emmy winning, and great reviews from critics. Checks all the boxes. I'm not sure how you can argue otherwise. 

First of all, idiots can be very popular espacially with other idiots. So this popularity contest idea can be very dangerous.

Second, they butchered everything, including the story, characters, personalities, logic and common sense in order to serve up the most boring and most predictable "plot twist". How on earth is this "Emmy winning" story writing?

Third, they have no idea how to tell a good strory; they move from plot twist to lot twist, and character personalities an motivations are determined by the need of future plot twists. This is very evident with Davos, Jamie and Jon. 

17 minutes ago, watcher of the night said:

First of all, idiots can be very popular espacially with other idiots. So this popularity contest idea can be very dangerous.

Second, they butchered everything, including the story, characters, personalities, logic and common sense in order to serve up the most boring and most predictable "plot twist". How on earth is this "Emmy winning" story writing?

Third, they have no idea how to tell a good strory; they move from plot twist to lot twist, and character personalities an motivations are determined by the need of future plot twists. This is very evident with Davos, Jamie and Jon. 

It's not evident at all.

A characters choices are not set in stone.  A small minority complained about Davos not being mad, yet here he is look at Mel with the look as if he is gonna try and kill her. The same group complains about every little crap because it's not what happened in the books.

A character changing his mind is not a plot hole, it's something you just dont like. Jamie loves his sister again? And? What's the problem? That he turned a 180? Hello? He made a 180 in books by starting to dislike her. If anything he is more consistent in the show than the books.

plot twist? Really? What plot twist? Please, most people that rated this episode a 1-3 used the word, "predictable"

idioits can can be popular? Lol what does that even mean. Outsiders, minorities, and those who feel betrayed tend to be the loudest and most annoying. Notice, everyone who tries to justify a 1/10 feels the need to write much more. If anything, he small minority tends to be made up of idiots who believe rng are superior because they don't follow the "stupid" majority. 

31 minutes ago, watcher of the night said:

Who decides if the writing is good? I think it was fantastic and you think it sucked. Who is right? Why are you more qualified to make that determination? Right you're not. Numbers determine that. 41% of people here think that it was a flawless episode giving it a 10/10. On other sites with thousands and thousands of more users it has an AVERAGE score of a 10/10 meaning almost everyone agrees it was a flawless episode 10/10. Numbers don't lie. That's how you determine it. The overwhelming majority of people who watched the show believe it was perfect in every aspect. That's not an opinion or an argument that's a fact. Show me the facts that determine otherwise.