(SPOILERS) Criticise Without Reprecussion

You know, I was listening to a podcast on this to see if I could find a critical voice out there (nope), and the level of thought that some people put into these storylines is truly appalling. DnD are catering directly to their audience, and it isn't necessarily the audience of the books. One of the podcasts I listened to, for example, speculated that Dany couldn't bring Tyrion back to King's Landing when she sailed with her army because of his bad standing in the Seven Kingdoms, so he would be left behind to rule Mereen. Think about that for a moment. There are people who actually get on a podcast and say things like that--that Dany, a rebel queen with a Dothraki horde and dragons, wouldn't be able to bring Tyrion Lannister with her because, you know, he's wanted for murder.

There is very little thought being put into this on both ends if you ask me, and honestly, Martin's kind of left his fans in shitty situation. 

4 minutes ago, Nami said:

Agree completely

At the end of the episode, when Sandra was walking towards the camera, I actually said "I bet she's gonna smirk", and guess what, she did!

Sandra ?

14 minutes ago, Stannis is the man....nis said:

Ok also how can anyone in good faith say "The North Remembers" after this episode? The Vale saved everyone "the North" did jack diddly

So let's just change that to "The Vale Remembers"....their loyalty lies with the north - it's just natural;o)

Besides the northern Houses (the few that have ever been mentioned in the show) never really remembered or cared all that much to begin with...

1 minute ago, LulaMae Barnes said:

So let's just change that to "The Vale Remembers"....their loyalty lies with the north - it's just natural;o)

Oh no, Vale only moved because of LF not because of loyalty. Little Robin didn't seem to care about North until LF hyped it up

1 minute ago, LulaMae Barnes said:

Besides the northern Houses (the few that have ever been mentioned in the show) never really remembered or cared all that much to begin with...

What about the Glovers? Oh, no...that was the book. The Umbers? Um, nope. What about the Tallharts? Yeah...never mentioned, huh? Maybe the Reeds? Did they show up for the fight? No? Just the Wildings and 60 Mormonts and the Vale? Hm, that really blows.

1 minute ago, Trinket2 said:

If you think this is feminism you're delusional.

It's not the topic to discuss feminism. 

But either way it's not even what I said. Show is pandering to feminists who were most vocal to complain about Sansa being used as plot device and all the unnecessary rape scenes, I never said the show was doing said pandering right. feminists or not, everyone is insulted by this lame girl power theme. 

58 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

I was just happy that another direwolf didn't get the d$d treatment.

But how fucking stoopid was it that Rhaegal and Viserion were released by Tyrion like 5 or 6 episodes ago, but they only broke out now. What perfect plot timing and totally not predictable. :rolleyes:

This is the million dollar question. What is the point of unlocking the chains if they remain in the catacombs? Dragons can break through walls like the Kool Aid man but chained up' they are helpless.

4 minutes ago, LadyDoom said:

It's not the topic to discuss feminism. 

But either way it's not even what I said. Show is pandering to feminists who were most vocal to complain about Sansa being used as plot device and all the unnecessary rape scenes, I never said the show was doing said pandering right. feminists or not, everyone is insulted by this lame girl power theme. 

Don't bring up the topic if it's not on topic,then. "This show is so feminist! But don't talk about what feminism is and how the show is feminsit!"

I'm sure they're, in their heads, trying to pander to feminism. The writers just have no clue what it is.

I don't think the show is pandering to feminists at all. The show is doing exactly what it always does. Messing things up.

They always get women wrong. They have no clue. They are offensive. Same as always. Nothing new here.

(And I wish they'd just kill Sandra off at this point, they just keep making it worse.)

I just .... is this even a real show anymore?  I mean, what punishment should the show get for plagiarizing itself? 

I have not said much about the show in a  few weeks because there is just so little I enjoy any longer.  I mean, basically its summed up as follows: Davos is great; Sansa is still good; I could lisetn to Ian McShane read from the phone book, Jaime is good, Brienne + Jaime is fine; dragons are cool.  

But tonight?  Okay, the battle was cool, I guess, but it was "Blackwater 2.0." It was the EXACT same thing.  

And it started off so baaaaaaaddddddd

But I'm getting ahead of myself.  First we found Dany... negotiating with ... oh, who the fuck cares?  Every. Single. Negotiations. Session. With. Dany. Ends. In. The. Person. She. Negotiates. With. Getting. Killed.  Seriously, this scene suffered two HUGE problems: first, it was ENTIRELY NEEDLESS!  Dany has dragons.  At ANY TIME and with absolutely NO WORK she could get her three dragons to rain fire on the slavers (which they did).  There was no need to do a siege etc.  The slavers were fucking stupid to try.  Its a terrible plan.  There was no need for anyone to be worried. 

This made Tyrion's scene PAINFUL!  Remember when Tyrion was, you know, an actual character?  When he was smart and funny and wise?  Now, he's just sad comic relief to act like everything is a mystery.  WHY DOESN'T TYRION ASK THE NATURAL QUESTION?  "M'Lady... don't ... don't you have like three dragons we could use?"  So dumb that he never asks that question.  

(Honorable Stupidity: I liked Dany's plan to burn just ONE ship so her people could escape Meeren.  Good plan.  Just one problem?  How do the other two dragons know this plan?  How do they know to ONLY burn that one ship?  They were lockd up until... magic I guess... but she could not have told them the plan?  And don't give me this "she directed them" shit!  She was riding Drogon; not the others.  I mean, maybe she has "dragon talepathy" but if she did... bitch - SHE SHOULD HAVE USED IT BEFORE!  No need for "Drogon... dracarys... because she could just Vulcan--mind-meld with them and BOOM!  they just ... know!).

But the second terrible thing from this scene was the utter stupidity of another stupid, dumb, tired, hackneyed, been-there-done-that negotiation session between Dany and ... and three props.  Seriously; these were not characters they were barely sentient automatons.  And what do they do?  They ask for terms nobody would except.  Sure, Dany will slaughter her dragoins.  And give up the unsullied and watch as Melassandi is raped, I guess.  

But we knew how this was going to end ... because we saw it all before- the dumb-asses who just obnoxiously act like morons; we saw it with the dothrakii just a few episodes ago; we saw it with the slavers in season 3; we have seen this all before.  And it has the EXACT same result.  These slavers are fucking dumber than a bag of hammers.  Why do the negotiating there?  Don't they know she has a dragon?  Why not go through an intermediary?  Don't they know she has a dragon?  Why not demand hostages?  Don't they know she has a dragon?  

Did I mention the dragon?  

So, what happens?  SHOCKER!  The dragon shows up and wrecks shit.  HE could have done that AT ANY TIME!  And we saw it all before.  

(Honorable Stupidity Two: How are they feeding all those fucking horses?  The drothari have a MASSIVE host; EVERYONE is on horse back.  How are they feeding all those horses; horse are huge; they take a LOT of feed.  How are they feeding them... oh, and EVEN IF YOU GET THEM ON THE BOATS... where are you storing all the food they would need?  Don't know?  That's because nobody knows what they are doing on this show).  

Then on to the Battle of the Bastards. Okay, just saying the actual fighting and the battle itself was great- gritty, absorbing, intense; action-packed... and yeah, dumb.  But dumb is sometimes the most fun.  Anyway, I liked the actual battle itself.  

Everything else was jaw-droppingly terrible. 

It starts off with a pretty solid scene between Sansa and Jon where Sansa, wisely, counsels Jon not to do what Ramsey wants Jon to do; its solid, Sun Tzu-esque advice that is focused, on-point and very relevant. 

So, first chance he gets, Jon ignores it!  What a fucking tool-bag.  He sees the prop formerly known as Rickon walk out and tries to rescue him ... EXACTLY WHAT RAMSEY WANTS HIM TO DO!  

Tool. Bag.  

That would all be fucking terrible enough.  BUT... 2 things: 1) Jon Snow... suffers NOT ONE BIT for acting like an asshole!  He does not pay for not heeding Sansa's sage advice.  Once again, Jon Snow's bad behavior does not come back to bite him.  Because Plot Armor is strong; it even holds when you are the fucking problem!  But 2)... why ... why did Ramsey shoot Rickon... and not ... say ... Jon?  If Ramsey is that fucking great of a shot (and he is) ... and he has the target lined up.... WHY NOT JUST KILL JON!?!?!?!?!?!  Win the whole battle!  Fuck them all over? Destroy your nemesis?  Say a cool line like "Turns out I accept the challenge of fighting to the death... oh... sorry... you beat me to it."  No... seriously?  Why not - if you have the shot... why not kill Jon Snow?  It. Makes. No. Sense. This. Show. Is. So.... Baaaaaaaaaaddddd...

Then the battle itself.  Had some great stuff, but I have to assume moving a shield wall into place takes longer than that; the confusion and action was fun and intense.  

But then... Blackwater 2.0 happened.

I mean, it was exactly the same.  These show-runners have no original ideas.  At all. Once again, the heroes' actions do not matter; their fighting, bravery, courage, instincts, honor... NOPE!  NONE OF IT MATTERS!  We have this ready-made "Deus Ex Machina" just waiting to save the day!  Exactly like the Blackwater; same shit, different season!  Snow could have spent the battle with a thumb up his ass- SAME RESULT!  Nothing they did mattered; the Erie was coming to save them!  Hooo.... hooo... h-hooo...rrray?  

And then Ramsey retreats, and the Northern archers suddenly all become Legelace and can't fucking miss and JS goes off.  And then dogs and stupidity.  

Why not have Samsa demand a head-man's block and a sword and executes Ramsey herself?  You know... LIKE A FUCKING STARK WOULD?!?!?!?!  NOPE!  The show has NO IDEA what this story is about anymore.  The show runners didn't get Stannis; they don't get Sansa; they don't get why battles matter; they don't know why Brienne is compelling; they don't know why some characters need to live and others should die... and they don't know why we liked these stories; why the books mattered.

They can't think up their own stuff so they regurgitate what GRRM did; every Dany scene is IDENTICAL to ones that came before; every Tyrion interaction is stilted and wooden.  Every battle ends with a "ROLL TWENTY ON SAVING THROW FROM BEING FUCKING SURROUNDED!"  Immediately summon: "Arbitrarily Huge Army." WIN!  Every Jon Snow interaction is the same.... 

But Davos found a horse in the snow? Means he knows about Stannis' daughter ... that he never mentioned this season?  Shows how much they care, huh?  

The show is bad.  Its not good.  We still watch because we have to; we came this far.  But its now doing what EVERY shitty show does when it is limping to the finish: does shitty and lazy "flash-back" episodes where all they do is replay what worked before.  

Its plagiarism.  Only they are lazy plagiarists; instead of ripping off stuff from other sources... they just rip off the earlier works... And we can tell.  

2 minutes ago, Gaius Gracchus said:

The one-eyed guy, Euron. Oh wait, Euron has two eyes because two characters with eye patches would be too difficult for the viewers...

you mean the guy who tried to kill the tortured guy and the lesbian girl?

Archived