(SPOILERS) Criticise Without Reprecussion

So Tyrion knows about the Mad King? Damn, I'm so glad he read Jaime's Facebook updates! Meereen was one of the worst staged battles I've seen, complete lack of any visual interest or tension or stakes. I'm really, really exhausted with Show-Dany's endless "badassery" and the complete lack of layers to her character. She exists to make quotes for the trailers. 

8 minutes ago, Low Sparrow said:

Argh! Only a few minutes in and I have to beat myself over the head for still watching. Sansa in the preview says "we have to take back Winterfell and we have to save Rickon" .... a few minutes in, an "empowered" Sansa is saying Rickon is as good as dead, we can't save him.

So much this. So she only wanted to fight to get Winterfell back? They depict her as a power-hungry bitch. What have they done to the compassionate girl that loves her family? :( Did she let so many wildlings die by not telling anyone about a possible army so she would have more power behind her back than Jon by having the Vale army? Damn...

Okay, another thing that really bugs me...

I'm so much more interested to see how Roose Bolton would have handled this entire episode, instead of Ramsay at the lead. I think it would have been a lot more satisfying, with Ramsay's eventual death simply being the cherry on top, rather than being the focus.

1 minute ago, Bastard of the Dreadfort said:

I'm so much more interested to see how Roose Bolton would have handled this entire episode, instead of Ramsay at the lead. I think it would have been a lot more satisfying, with Ramsay's eventual death simply being the cherry on top, rather than being the focus.

I couldn't agree more. I actually liked TV Roose, the actor did a good job with what was given to him, and he was probably the only promising part of the whole northern storyline. Too bad he took a stupid pill in his last episode, so Ramsay Sue can have his day in the spotlight.

1 minute ago, Sir Drew said:

"I keep hearing stories about you, bastard. The way that people talk, you might be the greatest swordsman in the North."

So wait a tick, who exactly is telling these stories? Who? The Night's Watchmen? The wildlings? How would Ramsay know this?

D&D's Westeros apparently has internet, because news travel really fast there (like how Tyrion knew about old Mormont's death or how Jaime knew the sand snakes took over in Dorne).

Poor Rickon! Nobody really tried to save you, did they? Not after they got the letter, not when he ran in the field...
I'm not a big fan of long battle scenes, so maybe it's just me that I found the "epic" battle quite boring. They reminded me of the pathos of "Braveheart" (which, as you probably guessed, I didn't much like, either.) I did other things when they were on (really got some things done), so I'll leave the analysis to more battle-savvy minds. Then again, LF saving the day (didn't we all know) would have spoilt it for me, anyway. Oh, and Rickon's death, of course. I didn't feel anywhing when Wun Wun died, sad to say.
Sansa is highly anmnoying, and both she and Jon are quite useless.
Could have done without the final Jon/ Ramsey Western style showdown, not to mention the dog scene. I'm calling animal abuse now.

Sooo, Davos, how exactly DID you think Shireen died? Oh, youdidn't ask?

BUT you know what...
I thought the Dany/ Theon/ Yara scene was the absolute freaking worst.
At first, Tyrion wouldn't SHUT THE FUCK UP (pardon my shouting). an then it got worse. Such a shitfest of anachronism, fake feminism and utter stupidity in such a short dialogue. Grrl Powe Against Evil Men and Cocks! Yara basically offered to fuck Dany's tits off! At least she didn't put a finger up someone's where-the-sun-don't-shine.) Can we hope for scenes next season that every 13 year old boy will love? Thought so.
(How I would love to see an alliance/ affair/ romance/ whatever between two women leaders in a partiarchal pseudo medieval society, if it was done by CAPABLE writers! Alas...)
I want GLAAD to award them a golden rotten tomato. But probably everyone will praise them for their wymyn friendly boldness.

OK, now I'll read the rest of this thread.

Just now, Bastard of the Dreadfort said:

I'm so much more interested to see how Roose Bolton would have handled this entire episode, instead of Ramsay at the lead. I think it would have been a lot more satisfying, with Ramsay's eventual death simply the cherry on top, rather than being the focus.

Not just Roose, but also Stannis too (without all the nonsensical crap he has to deal with in the last two episode of the last season of course.) 

A battle between the two done well would be without equal.  Of course any pitched battle involving strategy that is more intelligent than shooting your own men or charging suicidal with a small army is apparently too much for the Double Ds.

3 minutes ago, LulaMae Barnes said:

Rickon dying was so unneccessary - and seeing him do so was even worse. Why show this - though showing us the final fight of the Blackfish or Arya defeating the Waif-like charater were too much? Why bring him back for just to be killed off without uttering a single word during both episodes that he was seen?

Did anyone else think, the way he died looked somewhat (very) similar to Ygritte's death?

It was also similar in spirit to when Rob and Cat died when Arya was so close to them, even more blatant.

It was just shock value to drive the Ramsay is a sadist point further down home. we get it. 

The minute he told Rickon to run I thought he was releasing his hounds after him, that would have made more sense since there was no way Rickon could make it out alive then, but just letting him run? well if the boy had zig zagged as common sense would dictate, Ramsay would have given Jon and Sansa a REAL claim to Winterfell. and it would have made him look very very stupid and lose his upper hand. 

Releasing Rickon was just dumb, but since plot dictates characters actions now, it all goes down according to plan. 

3 minutes ago, The Boastful Knight said:

Thank you. Couldn't have said it better myself. If you want to write good female (or male) characters, just write them as people, as GRRM has always said. It's not that hard (well, it is hard to do well, but you get the point). What D&D is doing is overcompensating, because they got heavy criticism in tha past for being sexist (when in reality, I think they're simply just really bad writers, who don't know how to write interesting or compelling characters so they resort to what they've seen in other stuff). So they think if they put in more dicks and men getting cut in their crotches by women or other men, it will be allright, because then men will have it equally bad. But that won't change anything if they continue to use the same old sort of standard TV writing conventions. Like in this episode, where Jon doesn't get hit by an arrow despite not having a shield, armour, or helmet. I guess they think if they put in a non conventional scene (Rickon dying, although it is expected in GoT at this point), then Jon having plot armour will be okay. It doesn't work like that, unfortunately they don't seem to know that.

Thank you! fully agree, they seem to think the show's only strong points were shocking unpredictable deaths, and they aren't even pulling that off very well, most deaths are anticipated now, and many characters get killed just to fill that "shocking death" quota, in cheap ways that are disappointing, so we don't even get their shock value at least.

And now, many characters are immune to death like in every other show, which was what made GOT so different, no one was safe, well now "no one" was one of the obviously safe ones. 

1 minute ago, The Boastful Knight said:

I couldn't agree more. I actually liked TV Roose, the actor did a good job with what was given to him, and he was probably the only promising part of the whole northern storyline. Too bad he took a stupid pill in his last episode, so Ramsay Sue can have his day in the spotlight.

While Ian McElhatton looks nothing like Roose in the books, I believed his TV interpretation. He was cold, quiet and calculating. But how he oversaw his son's betrayal is still a mystery (considering in the books he knows Ramsay poisoned his brother Domeric). Regardless, imagine Roose insulting Jon as a bastard to his face, and willing to forgive his nights watch betrayal if he bends the knee; with Ramsay just sitting behind, watching silently and smirking. That to me encapsulates the books better than what we got. Having Jon beat Roose to death then taking Ramsay prisoner would have been amazing, with Sansa THEN getting her own personal revenge. But oh well, too expensive and too much creativity. Whatever. It's done. Everyone involved has made millions. But the story has ultimately been done a disservice.

4 hours ago, Le Cygne said:

Yeah, Fansa is not exactly doing House Stark any favors. I just kept thinking poor Jon, poor Rickon. What a rotten sister.

I am really upset about his death.

26 minutes ago, Bastard of the Dreadfort said:

Why can't Rickon have one line? Hell, forget that, a single word? Does it cost so much for HBO to pay Art Parkinson to scream "JON! SAVE ME!" while running? Or does adding to dramatic tension extend beyond their budget this season?

Art Parkinson said once he did not watch GoT because it was too violent to his taste. But they gave almost the same treatment to Tena, McShane, Siddig, ... Why they claim to have a big cast, the whole story is only about Sansa, Jon, LF, Wamsay, Dany, Tyrion, Cersei, Jaime and Brienne. (Bran only exists to tell who Jon's parents were)

Was anyone else bothered by the fact Dany just stopped by to say hi and then talked to Tyrion and then orchestrated the full "oh you misunderstand me, we're talking about your surrender" Instead of going for the ships right away? I mean it's not like your people are dying while you take a time to savor some of the victory early. 

17 minutes ago, The Onion Kniggit said:

Not just Roose, but also Stannis too (without all the nonsensical crap he has to deal with in the last two episode of the last season of course.) 

A battle between the two done well would be without equal.  Of course any pitched battle involving strategy that is more intelligent than shooting your own men or charging suicidal with a small army is apparently too much for the Double Ds.

So true, I remember back when season 4 was on and I was getting a little annoyed with some aspects of the show, I was content with the fact that in 1-2 years we would get an exciting Stannis vs Roose Northern campaign and I wouldn't care about all the small little annoying things. So naive I was. :(

Poor Ramsay, he forgot to tell his men to shoot Wun Wun in the face. Thus, they shot him everywhere but his face, with limited results. 

Jon Reborn has got to be the least charismatic leader ever. The dumbest one too, leaving his army behind and charging the front lines to well within the bow range. It's convenient nobody tried to shoot him, perhaps the Orcs Boltons knew about his plot armor. At least Sansa is there to give sound advice. Well, not really. She just complains a lot ("you didn't ask me for advice", even though she stands right there and has no advice to give anyway) while still withholding the impending arrival of the Rohirrim Vale army. It's not like that would have changed the tactics or anything. 

Daenerys reminds us that she's a despot who conquers and kills all who oppose her, but she's the good kind of despot who will bring an end to all the looting and pillaging once she's done conquering. Admittedly, there's not much to loot or pillage after a dragon attack.

The new conflicted broken Melisandre is just no fun. Someone please take her out of her misery. Ser Davos maybe? I assume that's why he found the Shireen pyre. If not, that scene is going to end up completely pointless.

Nitpicking aside, this was the least bad episode in two seasons. A decent Holywoodish battle, characters acting mostly in character and way less cringeworthy dialogue than usual. It can only go downhill from here.

Just watched some of the episode to watch Ramsay die.  I have to say....I already knew Clarke and Harrington (although a little better now) were bad actors....but what the hell?  Sophie Turner?  She is bad.  She doesn't change expressions ever, uses the same monotonous voice....she is truly awful.  From what I remember too, she really impressed me in season 1. What the hell happened?   

Is this a thread where I am to confess that:

- I had a gag reflex about every minute of this crappy travesty of the show

- I wept - literally - I shed tears at the loss of talent and resources wasted on this episode

- I had to take a break from watching every 5 minutes because it was too much for me

- I regret watching because it had ultimately ruined the whole show for me after some pretty damn good season

- I am too afraid to watch next week's episode for fear of another disappointment

Annoying Dany. Annoying Tyrion! Too much CGI. Exaggerations. Deus ex machina dragons. Deux ex machina Theon with phasing Ironborn spaceships. A battle that puts Braveheart slaughterings to shame. Psychopath Jon. Psychopath Sansa. Boring plot and yet so many nasty cuts.

Episode made solely for the shock value makes no sense at all. If I am to ever buy a DVD with Game of Thrones I demand this piece of shit be remade.

Archived