(SPOILERS) Criticise Without Reprecussion

My issue is they destroyed Jon's character. All he has done and accomplished was thrown out the window with his Leroy Jenkins moment. The episode could have been done better. 2 to 1 odds is not bad, not great, but not bad. It could have been done in a way that did not make Jon look like an incompetent fool and give Sansa her moment.

• 1 month later...
On 1.9.2016 at 10:58 PM, Slaysman said:

My issue is they destroyed Jon's character. All he has done and accomplished was thrown out the window with his Leroy Jenkins moment. The episode could have been done better. 2 to 1 odds is not bad, not great, but not bad. It could have been done in a way that did not make Jon look like an incompetent fool and give Sansa her moment.

100% this. 

And to be fair Sansa not telling about the KotV wasn't smart either. 

This was supposed to be an episode about the Starks finally winning, but both Starks caused only losses due to their stupid behaviour.

The only real winner was LF the guy who played a big role in the destruction of house Stark. :(

1 minute ago, Lady of Whisperers said:

100% this. 

And to be fair Sansa not telling about the KotV wasn't smart either. 

This was supposed to be an episode about the Starks finally winning, but both Starks caused only losses due to their stupid behaviour.

The only real winner was LF the guy who played a big role in the destruction of house Stark. :(

Bravo D&D

• 7 months later...

Wow, what a relief to find this thread, even if I am about 8 months too late!

I've just been box setting GoT and ploughed through all six seasons which have been really entertaining. For me they highpointed at Hardhome where the play of the Night King put all the silly political machinations that we've been watching into context when there is such a bigger, more dangerous threat coming over the horizon.

By the time I hit season 6, the vibe on Battle of the Bastards had slipped through and I was expecting it to be a great episode. Technically it was but I couldn't help but be frustrated with Sansa. I know she's had a tough time but she never smiles and her whining at the pre battle meeting and then not offering anything constructive (like her secret army) was so annoying.

I really like Jon but I get the feeling that the writers always have to hamper him because it seems we can't have a man that's a complete hero. So he can be:

Brave but he has to be naive
Bold but he has to be brooding
Courageous but a little foolish

It's like every time he does something great, the writers have to bring him down a notch or two to remind everyone that he's still a silly, fallible man.

Look at the Battle of the Bastards. Brave in charging at the enemy on his own but tactically stupid in allowing himself to be corralled. A great fighter but allows himself to be trampled with no quick thinking to get himself out of the closing loop. And then what do you know, Sansa (the latest empowered female) has to come along and save the day with her secret army that she deliberately didn't mention to Jon. it just stuck in my craw that so many men died, including the giant, because she wanted to keep that up her sleeve.

I'm all for strong female characters like Brianne (why wasn't she on the battlefield) or Dany but does Jon really have to be hobbled to continue the slightly feminist agenda that all men are weak in some way or another.

Surely as we enter the final throes of the show, some characters are going to have to pull away from the field and be truly heroic or admirable for the audience to get behind?

I think what I also found frustrating is how you feel that the writers want you to be invested but then having characters acting foolishly even though the audience (the ones that think) know that they wouldn't act like that. They also do it in The Walking Dead. Regularly show characters acting with sense and practicality and then having them doing something utterly stupid to create a fabricated perilous situation.

I mean look at the giant. He is so goddam useful, why didn't anyone put like a 10 man giant guard squad with him. The giant is a MOAB in a battle and hence is hugely important, especially for the big battle coming against the undead. Such a waste to just kill him off like that.

And where did the huge mounds come from? Yes bodies will pile up but when you are battling on a field with melee weapons but it's natural that combatants would find places that offered their feet a stable setting. Yes they might have to fight in between bodies but actually fighting on a noticeably growing mound of bodies is moronic.

And again, when they are being hemmed in why not concentrate all of your forces in one point. Scattering them all around to make little jabs is silly. It's bad enough that the giant didn't have a weapon but you could always have had him just jump in the air and land on the three deep 'ring' to punch a hole through for Jon's crew to pour out.

But no, of course, we have to make Jon a brave but tactical fool who has to be saved by Sansa because this series is all about the women.

Another poster made the point that the show seems to be all about the massive battles (publicised as the most expensive as if this is a guarantee of quality) and creating plenty of moments for viewers to discuss the next day at work by the coffee machine. I have to say that watching it progress over six seasons that this has been noticeable to me.

• 5 months later...

Archived