(SPOILERS) Criticise Without Reprecussion

This is how you create a mound:

There are no reliable figures for the size of the French army at Agincourt, but they numbered many thousands, and in their eagerness to get at the English most of the leading figures were crammed into the front ranks.

When the action was triggered by a flight of arrows from the English side, the French charged forward in accordance with their battle plan. Funnelled into a narrower part of the field where Henry had taken up his position, the French were crammed together, and though many did not reach the English ranks, many more did. As these were cut down, those pressing behind climbed over them, and anyone who slipped or fell in the muddy ground had little chance of getting up again.

As the battle progressed the pile of bodies rose higher, and any who were wounded or simply knocked over were crushed beneath the weight of those coming behind. Very few were found alive when the heaps of bodies were at last unpicked after the battle

Aka not what is seen in the episode.

Ramsey has killed surrendering Ironborn, that were promised to be let go if they surrendered. He killed his father, and fed his step-mother and half-brother to his dogs.  So why is he having a truce meeting with Jon, Sansa, and the rest.  He would have just killed or captured them right there.  This feels like it was done for Sansa to have her girl-power moment, but in order for that to happen, Ramsey had to dumbed-down more than normal. 

Just now, Lord Syv Aldlark said:

It is now nitpicking to wonder why given the visual information we are provided, the numbers of said forces and any basic curiousity to wonder where the plot heavy wall of bodies towering twenty feet into the air came from. 

I give up on you show apologist you've drinken the Milk of the poppy and okay just letting it be.

When I see scenes like this I just assume they didn't bother having anyone advise them or just didn't care. I get the sense that half the time they just do stuff because they think it's cool, and the other half because they think they're being edgy still. Seeing people on screen make ridiculous choices for no reason should stay as a horror movie trope, I'm sure if you told D&D that people were yelling at their TVs of the stupidity on display, they'd say something along the lines of "Now that's great writing.".

Just now, Fredwin said:

When I see scenes like this I just assume they didn't bother having anyone advise them or just didn't care. I get the sense that half the time they just do stuff because they think it's cool, and the other half because they think they're being edgy still. Seeing people on screen make ridiculous choices for no reason should stay as a horror movie trope, I'm sure if you told D&D that people were yelling at their TVs of the stupidity on display, they'd say something along the lines of "Now that's great writing.".

Exactly. 

There is no way a force the size of the Vale force can go through the neck, all the way up to Winterfell, and nobody knew about it

This show is basically the Transformers movie franchise, if you turn off your brain and just watch the spectacle, you'll be entertained. But there is no sophistication, depth, or realism.

People need to stop pretending they are watching some high level stuff.

7 minutes ago, Forlong the Fat said:

I didn't debate. You debated. Someone asked a question about piles of bodies and I answered with a specific historical example of a battle with reported piles of bodies. Now you're nitpicking the specifics of the episode portraying exactly what happened in perhaps the most famous battle portraying a smaller medieval army, with limited cavalry, fighting against a much larger army with cavalry. 

If I recall correctly, Agincourt involved mainly heavy calvary getting butchered by long bowman in a marsh. Chaotic and cramped, yes, but I never recall ever hearing anything about giant walled-mounds of human bodies. If this is such an iconic, historical example, there are probably a lot of of famous images of these giant mounds of human bodies depicted in art. A quick google image search of "Agincourt" gives you popular depictions of how people imagined the battle. 

I found the whole battle melodramatic and eye-rolling to say the least. I could only find it realistic if I were using LoTR battles as a reference.

Just found this:

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-34463389

Someone needs to see if they added the body-mounds yet

13 minutes ago, LadyDoom said:

pretty much!

I think the whole girl power message this season is just a response to all the hate they got from the rape scenes in the past. I don't think they really subscribe to it, they just give the people what they ask for regardless of story quality. and it's really showing

I don't want strong cliche women in the story, I want well developed characters above all, that's why there's no hope for me with this show. 

Yeaaah.... I am really not much into feminism (more of a "I don't care about gender"-kinda girl here - although I studied it, haha), but since season 5 it's like D&D playing with things they have absolutely zero understanding of. Since the "empowering" wedding night, I feel like stupid stereotypes are slapping me in the most unproficient manner in the face. It's like kids trying to bake a cake - a hot mess.

Just now, Grendam said:

If I recall correctly, Agincourt involved mainly heavy calvary getting butchered by long bowman in a marsh. Chaotic and cramped, yes, but I never recall ever hearing anything about giant walled-mounds of human bodies. If this is such an iconic, historical example, there are probably a lot of of famous images of these giant mounds of human bodies depicted in art. A quick google image search of "Agincourt" gives you popular depictions of how people imagined the battle. 

I found the whole battle melodramatic and eye-rolling to say the least. I could only find it realistic if I were using LoTR battles as a reference.

Just found this:

There was a mound of bodies because of the way the French had to attack on a narrow front under heavy archery fire. Possibly hundreds died of suffocation or being crushed. It wasn't a mound like the show where it trapped a force so it could be surrounded by shield and stabbed to death

7 minutes ago, Simbacca said:

Ramsey has killed surrendering Ironborn, that were promised to be let go if they surrendered. He killed his father, and fed his step-mother and half-brother to his dogs.  So why is he having a truce meeting with Jon, Sansa, and the rest.  He would have just killed or captured them right there.  This feels like it was done for Sansa to have her girl-power moment, but in order for that to happen, Ramsey had to dumbed-down more than normal. 

Yeah this made absolutely no sense.

4 minutes ago, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

I just assumed she didn't tell him because she didn't know for sure if he would come. I suppose she could have told Jon he might come, or that she asked him to come. At the very least she should have told Jon to wait to see if he would come. 

It would have made sense to tell him since their whole disagreement on his battle strategy was needing more men. Jon was attacking because he didn't think he had anymore. Now Sansa has Winterfell surrounded by men under the control of Baelish.

Just wondering, is there a resource somewhere where someone has tracked the amount of kills Ramsay has on the show, total?

He's killed so many characters, even if they're mostly minor. I wonder if he's killed more minor characters than any villain on TV, ever?

They even had to give him the Wun Wun kill after the poor old guy was looking like mutant hedgehog.

Just now, DarkerStar said:

It would have made sense to tell him since their whole disagreement on his battle strategy was needing more men. Jon was attacking because he didn't think he had anymore. Now Sansa has Winterfell surrounded by men under the control of Baelish.

I'm yet to draw judgement on how Sansa is acting, because she might very well have used Jon to secure victory. She might have actually planned for his army to fold and thus luring Ramsey into her Vale trap. Maybe she was going to tell him if he actually asked her advice. Hard to say, but there's still one episode left for them to fill this gap.

I also cautioned patience with Davos acting out of character by not questioning Melisandre right away in the early few episodes, but he finally is getting around to it.

34 minutes ago, SixFeetUnder said:

Everyone seems to be missing this. 

Ramsey wouldn't come out and fight against the vale army. He wasn't that stupid. So if Sansa would have told Jon about the vale, he would have waited. And there would have been a long seige. And Sansa told Jon not to do the predictable. And she didn't. The only way to draw Ramsey out of the castle was to entice him with the windlings.  

I can't wait for the books..........

yes... I made a  thread about this, and you saw the way I saw it.

I am very critic. But there is no way this was not a spetacular episode

D&D this is good TV , not that crap as No one and the one that preceeded it.

4 minutes ago, Grendam said:

Just found this:

The mounding of bodies is one of the most notable aspects of Agincourt. The unavailability of cameras perhaps explains your inability to find pictures of it. Simply Google mounds or piles of bodies at Agincourt and you will find plenty of description  eg, https://books.google.com/books?id=W2jTtdISwMMC&pg=PT210&lpg=PT210&dq=description+of+piles+of+bodies+agincourt&source=bl&ots=4dDew0nP43&sig=1wg8m5NF586ttigORZ-xufJI0Uo&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiT8fKrz7XNAhULTlIKHVopDtYQ6AEISjAM#v=onepage&q=description of piles of bodies agincourt&f=false

Or read The Face of Battle by John Keegan  

Archived