Will the tombs reveal Jons parentage? [Spoilers]

Attitude

So after seeing episode 9, it's very likely Jon will descend into the tombs of winterfell.

I actually remember some people theorizing about the cripts in relation with R+L=J (it was on the book forum and reddit), so I decided to google it. 

What I stubbled on was the following (show) theory (Possible spoilers inside!):
https://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/4k261b/spoilers_everything_the_forbidden_tomb_in_the/

For me this sounds like a realistic possibility for Jon to get to know his parentage, but somehow they will have to mix the ToJ scenes in it (we didn't see those scenes in the beginning of the season for nothing). 

So I could see the following happen:
Jon is in the crypts, and he somehow decides to go deeper inside the crypts. Once he sees the rubble he starts digging, end of scene.

ToJ scene with Ned & Lyanna. We learn that the baby isn't Neds son, but Lyanna's. At the point that Lyanna is about to reveal who Jons father is (maybe after she reveals, so the viewers know it before Jon himself), we cut back to Jon in the crypts and he sees the shown gravestone.

End of episode 10. 

What do you think? 

Eh... that would be very cliche and disappointing in my opinion. A strange tablet or something hidden in the crypts that only Jon can find, that just tells everything? If Ned wanted to make sure Jon found out his heritage just in case he never could tell him, there are better ways to go about it.

19 minutes ago, Lord Lannister said:

Eh... that would be very cliche and disappointing in my opinion. A strange tablet or something hidden in the crypts that only Jon can find, that just tells everything? If Ned wanted to make sure Jon found out his heritage just in case he never could tell him, there are better ways to go about it.

I never said this was the way Ned was meant to do it. However, it is a convenient way. 

1 hour ago, Attitude said:

So after seeing episode 9, it's very likely Jon will descend into the tombs of winterfell.

I actually remember some people theorizing about the cripts in relation with R+L=J (it was on the book forum and reddit), so I decided to google it. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/4k261b/spoilers_everything_the_forbidden_tomb_in_the/

For me this sounds like a realistic possibility for Jon to get to know his parentage, but somehow they will have to mix the ToJ scenes in it (we didn't see those scenes in the beginning of the season for nothing). 

Jon is in the crypts, and he somehow decides to go deeper inside the crypts. Once he sees the rubble he starts digging, end of scene.

ToJ scene with Ned & Lyanna. We learn that the baby isn't Neds son, but Lyanna's. At the point that Lyanna is about to reveal who Jons father is (maybe after she reveals, so the viewers know it before Jon himself), we cut back to Jon in the crypts and he sees the shown gravestone.

End of episode 10. 

What do you think? 

I don't think there needs to be a 'reveal' of who the father is. That's incredibly obvious. 

10 minutes ago, nmuir22 said:

I don't think there needs to be a 'reveal' of who the father is. That's incredibly obvious. 

Not to people who only watch the show. And not even to (all) people who read the books. 

Besides, it's not such a big secret for nothing. It will influence things. 

2 hours ago, Attitude said:

End of episode 10. 

What do you think? 

I kind of predicted it too but will disappointed if they really end it that way. Then again, this season's writing hasnt been that good

But are Neds bones in WF. Jon doesn't know that at all. What if this is a way for the writers to let Jon go down, only to find out Neds bones aren't there and then let Howland Reed descent from the Neck to bring the bones to Winterfell. 

44 minutes ago, nickdt said:

But are Neds bones in WF. Jon doesn't know that at all. What if this is a way for the writers to let Jon go down, only to find out Neds bones aren't there and then let Howland Reed descent from the Neck to bring the bones to Winterfell. 

They are. Cat got them from LF way back in season 2. 

1 hour ago, rayarts said:

They are. Cat got them from LF way back in season 2. 

Even in the books Catelyn gets the bones and she sends them to Winterfell. However, it is not known if they reached Winterfell, presumably they didn't. I think it's the same situation in the show, unless I'm mistaken.

2 hours ago, Nerevanin said:

Even in the books Catelyn gets the bones and she sends them to Winterfell. However, it is not known if they reached Winterfell, presumably they didn't. I think it's the same situation in the show, unless I'm mistaken.

Yeah, Cat sends them but we never see them arrive, particularly as Theon comes in and takes over and then everything at Winterfell falls apart. It seems like the assumption is that they're there, which they might well be, but they also might not, which would be interesting if a quest to find the bones led Jon to something important (like Howland???). I don't think the show would waste time on that at this point, though, so it's likely the bones are there.

I think the crypt will be important for some reason, but I don't know how or why. I suspect LF will be the one to know the truth about Jon, as some people have suggested on here, even if that makes no sense. But we shall see! (soon, I hope!)

21 minutes ago, Rumy Stark said:

Yeah, Cat sends them but we never see them arrive, particularly as Theon comes in and takes over and then everything at Winterfell falls apart. It seems like the assumption is that they're there, which they might well be, but they also might not, which would be interesting if a quest to find the bones led Jon to something important (like Howland???). I don't think the show would waste time on that at this point, though, so it's likely the bones are there.

I think the crypt will be important for some reason, but I don't know how or why. I suspect LF will be the one to know the truth about Jon, as some people have suggested on here, even if that makes no sense. But we shall see! (soon, I hope!)

Yeah, it makes no sense. Which surely doesn't prevent it from happening. Unless LF was hiding in Ned's saddle bags in TOJ or was disguised as his horse, I don't know how he could possibly know because during the whole (or almost whole) rebellion LF is supposed to be in that gloomy tower licking his wounds. Only Howland seems to possibly know something. Or Bran. I can totally see D&D making Bran inducing a dream for Jon and the dream would be like "Look in the crypts. Look in the crypts. Look in Lyanna's crypt. There's a surprise for you Jon. Look in the crypt."

So let me see if I get this straight. Jon goes deep into the crypts and for some unknown reasons decides to start digging?  Why exactly would he do this?  Is he bored?  Does he not have any other things useful to do with his time?

1 hour ago, El Guapo said:

So let me see if I get this straight. Jon goes deep into the crypts and for some unknown reasons decides to start digging?  Why exactly would he do this?  Is he bored?  Does he not have any other things useful to do with his time?

All kinds of things could lead him to this.  Bran vision? Maybe Ramsay trashed the tombs so Jon and Sansa have to put things back where they belong? who knows?  All speculation right now.

1 hour ago, BobinIL said:

All kinds of things could lead him to this. Firs off they have to bury Rickon in the tombs so they are going be down there.  Bran vision? Maybe Ramsay trashed the tombs so Jon and Sansa have to put things back where they belong? who knows?  All speculation right now.

I really don't think we are going to get this giant reveal that everyone is hoping for.

I knew who Froddo Baggins was for 3 books, yet virtually no one in the story had any idea till the very end. Same thing here.

Unless Jon turns into a fire breathing wolf, who is going to believe his parentage?

The Crypts are important, and will probably have something to do with the reveal.  They have been mentioned too many times to just mean nothing but a place with dead bodies.

Even in this episode, Jon says he will bury Rickon in the crypts, beside his father.

Jon will go down in the crypts to put Rickon to rest.  He will probably stare at Lyanna's statue.  We may then get Bran andd a part of the TOJ etc.  The question is what prompts Jon, to look around and find something.  Does Bran whisper to him?  Call him deeper or have him open Lyannas tomb?  Is it possible that Melisandra will see something in the flames?

3 hours ago, El Guapo said:

He said at the end of ep 9 that he wants to bury Rickon in the crypts by his father.

Archived