Will the tombs reveal Jons parentage? [Spoilers]

Attitude

44 minutes ago, Lucius Lovejoy said:

Thanks for the interesting theory!  I'm not a book reader so I only get insight like this from this forum.  I like that idea a lot, much more than other crackpot theories about why "there must always be a Stark in Winterfell,"

Thanks, although my idea may well be crackpot too. :) But there has to be something special about those crypts, there are just too many mentions and stories told about them for it to mean nothing.

If my idea would turn out to be true, the thing I really wonder is whose side would the dead Starks be on when it comes down to a battle with the Others? I'd like to think they would fight for Winterfell and the North, but ... they're dead, and you've probably read theories about the Stark ancestors and a possible connection with the Others.

4 hours ago, tugela said:

All of the family was buried there, but only the kings and lords got statues.

There won't be any Rhaegar stuff there.

The recurring message we get from dreams/visions/thoughts is that Jon does not belong there. It does not mean that there is a secret tomb no one can find for him, rather it is symbolic that he is not who he thinks he is, that he is not a Stark (hence does not belong there with the other Starks). Being Lyanna's son from a man of another house would satisfy that criteria.

I doubt that there is anything actually down there that would constitute proof of his parentage.

I'm not saying that Jon has a tomb as such, I am say its possible evidence is hidden in Liana's tomb. Why do you think Lord Eddard wanted the tomb in the crypts? if not to keep an eye on it. I guess only time will tell. I do realize that all the starks were buried there, I just didn't explain myself properly.

Ever since reading about greenseeing (quite a few years ago, not even sure when) I've been convinced Jon's parentage will be revealed through and by Bran, and confirmed and vouched for by Howland Reed.

1 minute ago, Cron said:

Ever since reading about greenseeing (quite a few years ago, not even sure when) I've been convinced Jon's parentage will be revealed through and by Bran, and confirmed and vouched for by Howland Reed.

I'm thinking it's Bran too.  

Why have the visions then.  Bran I mean, of the TOJ.  Why learn that information through time travel/a vision and make a point to show it if his knowledge isn't then passed onto Jon.  

How Bran and Jon come together, I am not sure.  Maybe cold hands brings him to Winterfell through teleport.  

1 hour ago, HellasLEAF said:

I think the reveal to the viewer will be thru Bran, but to Jon and/or Sansa it could come from someone who doesn't truly know but suspects like Petyr Baelish. Jon himself prob'ly won't believe it til he eventually meets Bran tho'. Mel could factor in as well, it's doubtful she knows, but if she hears rumors she may very well re-assess some of her past flame interpretations and stumble on the truth. She may have heard Stannis say having a bastard wasn't Ned Stark's way, she knows there's something special about Jon hence the resurrection, perhaps being in Winterfell and even perhaps the crypt with Rickon causes some puzzle pieces to fit together in her mind.

On 6/21/2016 at 3:49 AM, BobinIL said:

All kinds of things could lead him to this.  Bran vision? Maybe Ramsay trashed the tombs so Jon and Sansa have to put things back where they belong? who knows?  All speculation right now.

Ghost mate! Ghost has lead him to things before through the old gods. AND NOW we have bran on weirnet to help lead ghost who JUST found out himself. Makes a ton of sense. Ghost is the missing piece...Jon would never just find it on his own. 

2 hours ago, Cron said:

The question is revealed to who...the reader? Or Jon? Fairly obvious at this point bran finds out and the reader finds out. But how does Jon, or does he at all? 

I think he does through the tombs. 

8 hours ago, Chib said:
  Reveal hidden contents

The most reliable leaks only talked about Bran saw Lyanna gave Ned a baby, then next scene changed to Jon. I am not sure about the leak with LF and Jon because it did not come from the most reliable leak. 

I think it is obvious Jon's parents will be confirmed by episode 10 unless they decided to cut it and save for next season. 

Not clear cut answer. There will be still room for speculations by some people.

On June 21, 2016 at 7:44 AM, CalvoHobbo said:

There is a third alternative that isn't really discussed, and that is that it's actually Sam who finds out the truth, and Sam who proves it. We do not know a lot about the Maester's order or their secrets. We know that they ARE an order, and we know that they service the realm more so than the individual houses to which they are apparently assigned (someone please help me if that I am mistaken on the assignment part). But we don't know exactly what the order knows, and we don't know exactly what their vows are. For example, maybe there are books and books and books about all the dragons and white walkers and the history of the First Men and all the "mythical" creatures that Old Nan talks about in Old Town but for the sake of protecting the realm, the maesters deliberately dismiss it all as non-sense, and advise nobility that it is non-sense. This would be a reasonable thing to do if the maester's as an order, believed that such knowledge would lead to irrational decisions by powerful houses and risk destruction to the realm. 

My point is this: if it is possible that the maester's know a version of history that is not shared beyond their order, then it is possible that the maester of house Targaryian- possibly even Pycelle, was well aware of Rhaeger and Lyanna's relationship, may never have commented on it to anyone unless asked or he felt it would impact the saftey of the realm, but STILL may have sent ravens back to Old Town to report it as part of daily observations. If so, it may have been recorded at Old Town and dismissed as unimportant because it was a)possibly considered tedium if this type of thing came in from all maesters at all times, and b ) if it was believed that such knowledge would be dangerous -especially after the destruction caused by Robert's Rebellion. But if it IS recorded somewhere at Old Town, then Sam would probably be the one to find it considering he has a talent of finding these kinds of things thought to be obscure by others and hidden in stacks of old books, and he may be the only one with the ability to legitimize the fact in a manner that is accepted throughout Westeros if he is made into a full maester.

I love this so much. Well done. 

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, farm_ecology said:

Considering how secretive Ned was about Jon's heritage, it seems a bit strange that he would have entrusted this to a Mason and just casually left this secret in the Winterfell crypts. 

Also, I was under the impression that the family Ned had tombs made for were his father/mother/siblings, not his wife or children. I could be wrong though.

Mason's generally aren't literate though. Remember when Arya was serving as Tywin's cup bearer he asked her what her father did and she said he was a stonemason and his reply was something like "A stonemason that could read and write? I don't think I've ever met a literate stonemason before."

4 hours ago, Rory Snow said:

I think the reveal to the viewer will be thru Bran, but to Jon and/or Sansa it could come from someone who doesn't truly know but suspects like Petyr Baelish. Jon himself prob'ly won't believe it til he eventually meets Bran tho'. Mel could factor in as well, it's doubtful she knows, but if she hears rumors she may very well re-assess some of her past flame interpretations and stumble on the truth. She may have heard Stannis say having a bastard wasn't Ned Stark's way, she knows there's something special about Jon hence the resurrection, perhaps being in Winterfell and even perhaps the crypt with Rickon causes some puzzle pieces to fit together in her mind.

Coming from Littlefinger it would just be speculation. It would not have credibility.

The only people who can say what happened there would be the people who were actually there. The only person with enough credibility to be believed by Jon would be Howland Reed, since Jon knows that he was present at Lyanna's death and therefore knows what happened.

31 minutes ago, The Hound 25 said:

Mason's generally aren't literate though. Remember when Arya was serving as Tywin's cup bearer he asked her what her father did and she said he was a stonemason and his reply was something like "A stonemason that could read and write? I don't think I've ever met a literate stonemason before."

There are two types of stonemasons, those who simply dress stone and those who inscribe stone. A mason who inscribes stone would have to be able to read to know that he was not making an error.

Most stonemasons would be doing things like building walls and such, not inscribing monuments.

5 hours ago, HellasLEAF said:

Why have the visions then.  Bran I mean, of the TOJ.  Why learn that information through time travel/a vision and make a point to show it if his knowledge isn't then passed onto Jon.  

How Bran and Jon come together, I am not sure.  Maybe cold hands brings him to Winterfell through teleport.  

It is shown through Bran so that the ToJ story can be introduced to the casual viewer (who probably has not read the books). Otherwise it would just be dropped on them without warning, and they would be going "Huh???".

The actual revelation to Jon himself will probably come through a different mechanism.

15 hours ago, MtnLion said:

Well, it seems that the secret is out, in episode 10.

I think this was aired at Youtube and then the poster admitted that he faked it. Same as last season where Jon's eyes were going white (aka warging) - proven fake

41 minutes ago, Masha said:

I think this was aired at Youtube and then the poster admitted that he faked it. Same as last season where Jon's eyes were going white (aka warging) - proven fake

It did come from a reliable source that said it was from the next episode's (s6e10) opening credits.  I looked closely at it, and it is not a photo-shop, unless they are very, very good.  It appears to a genuine photo of the screen during opening credits. 

Archived