[spoilers] What You Liked/The Positivity Thread

In the interests of being balanced (as there is the Criticise without repercussion already) and to give a platform to those who don't wish to discuss the episode but wish to give praise where praise is due. This thread is not intended as a place to discuss the episode, as there will be plenty of other threads available for that  

Please respect the intent of this thread. That includes not delivering backhanded criticism (e.g. "The end credits")

My beloved Ramsay (I have an unhealthy obsession with the Iwan Rheon-version) finally getting what has been coming to him for a very, very long time. Personally I was hoping Sansa might stab him but the dog was adorable.

Tormund getting Umber.

Even though I never really expected Jon to die, the trampling part of the battle was very well done and suspenseful. I’m not an expert, but the initial onslaught with Jon caught on the ground and horses running past everywhere looked very well shot as well.

Rickon didn’t have to suffer much compared to other people in the series. I was hoping he’d make it through, but back when Osha went… well…

Jon and Sansa fighting, it looks like her bitchiness was due to frustration after all, and not say, wanting to become queen.

Wun-wun breaking through the gate.

Davos finding Shireen’s stag that he made for her.

Melisandre still being down. Though she did look quite pleased at the end there…

Dany and Yara getting along. Theon and Tyrion not getting along.

In a way, I liked Sansa also swallowing her pride earlier and asking for help, it shows she can collaborate with people she dislike, even if she has good reason for it. I’m looking forward to seeing what happens in that area next episode.

My favorite scene was the replacing of the Bolton banner with the Stark banner.

Other things I liked:

- the confused look on Ramsay's face when the Vale army arrived

- Sansa getting her revenge

- Ramsay's death

- the scenery of Mereen under siege

- Sansa telling Jon, that Rickon is as good as dead. It was harsh, but she was absolutely right.

- Melisandre explainning to Jon, that her powers are limited, and that she can only interpret the signs of her god and not look in the future or resurrect every person

-  the Dany and Yara alliance

- Lady Mormont riding along with Jon and Sansa to negotiate with Ramsay

- Jon using the shield to block Ramsay's arrows was pretty  badass

The final scene with Sansa getting her revenge.on Ramsay.

Tyrion getting Daenerys down from the power-trip she's been on since Vaes Dothraki. 

Daenerys re-affirming that she is anti-ravaging, anti-reaving and anti-raping

Yara accepting that there might be another way for the Ironborn. 

Daenerys switching out of that awful biker-babe getup she's been wearing since Vaes Dothraki.

Tormund surviving.

They continue to show the ugliness of war, something people need continuous reminders of.

The Stark banner unrolling at Winterfell.

I loved the episode.  I liked Mereen a lot and the Battle of the Bastards as well.  I thought it was pretty cool to see the Vale army just rampage Ramsay's army.  And the look on his face as he went sour was priceless.  He also could not have gotten a more fitting death.

It was intense from start to finish, possibly my favorite episode to date. 

Favorites:

Dany with all three dragons lighting up the ship

Tyrion/Dany/Theon/Yara scene was really well done

Greyworm killing the coward masters that failed that test

Jon standing alone with the Bolton army headed towards him

Jon staring down Ramsay after the Vale showed up- intense & some of the best acting we've seen from Kit

The battle itself was chaotic, brutal, and well paced with some stunning shots

Sansa's last conversation with Ramsay before he was mauled, some great lines

A little surprised by how many negative comments there are on this board; I thought the episode was great fun with lots of terrific, fist-pumping moments. 

Jon drawing Longclaw and getting ready to strike while the Bolton army charges toward him while the music swells--absolutely excellent. I pity anyone who can't just enjoy a scene like that for what it is without agonizing about the flaws in the story-telling. 

I also loved Jon losing his marbles and wailing on Ramsay in the courtyard. Kit did a great job of showing how the battle made Jon Snow temporarily go crackers. 

For once, Dany's storyline was handled adequately and I, unlike many, actually liked the bonding/flirting between her and Asha. 

What really made this episode stand out was the visual and audio aspects of it. Specially the way they shot the battle at Winterfell. Jon was in the middle of everything: horses crashing on to one another, people falling down, fighting, screaming, dead men piling up on top of each other. Kit did a great job.

-The way Jon acted seemed reminiscent to something Brandon would do. He lost his shit and charged into battle. A touch of wolf's blood for sure

-Sansa feeding Ramsay to his dogs was satisfying. 

-Lady Lyanna Mormont's look of disgust and pure hate towards Ramsay was golden.

-Wun Wun gave his all for Jon's cause.

-The reunion of the dragons made me cheer up. It's been so long. Dany controling all 3 of them was wonderful. The CGI was great.

-Greyworm had a good scene.

-I am surprised of how many people hate the Dany-Yara team up. It may be feminist propaganda how they claim, but is it so strange that these two women show admiration to each other? Both of them have been put in the not-fit-to-rule-because-you-are-a-woman place. I think the scene between them was natural: two women who want positions of power.

-

9 minutes ago, LadyArwen said:

Jon drawing Longclaw and getting ready to strike while the Bolton army charges toward him while the music swells--absolutely excellent. I pity anyone who can't just enjoy a scene like that for what it is without agonizing about the flaws in the story-telling. 

I also loved Jon losing his marbles and wailing on Ramsay in the courtyard. Kit did a great job of showing how the battle made Jon Snow temporarily go crackers. 

:agree:

Jon punching Ramsay while Sansa watching was very very satisfying  :smug:

5 minutes ago, Lyin' Ned said:

The cinematography was amazing, even better than a lot of big-budget films. Also I'm a sucker for long shots. 

Me too. Something about them gets me. The other one this show did in Watchers of the Wall when they panned Castle Black gets me excited everytime. 

Archived