Jump to content

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Prince Jon

The North Remembers What?

Recommended Posts

Despite no foreshadowing on the show, I  thought the Northmen would mutiny on Ramsey.  They knew of his evil side from previous instances.  Then he plays target practice with straight running Rickon.  Then he sacrifices a ton of them when he lets the arrows fly.  They see Jon's bravery to protect his brother.  Yet they still follow the crazy Ramsey bastard to the death while he just sits there watching?

Now are the Umbers and Karstaks are pretty much extinct.  It would have been wise to remember at some point that the Starks weren't that bad to live under.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And where the hell was Manderly? So, I guess last season's entire "the north remembers" foreshadowing was bullshit? Sorry old lady who got flayed. Also, Roose's foreshadowing about turning on Ramsay was crap too. It just feels like a waste.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The North remembers that Lady Sandra is a Bolton

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The North has Alzheimers :( It's a waste that the Great Northern Conspiracy was omitted from the show. I know that this isn't the books but still... it would have made the plot much more interesting and intriguing, without the GNC it's a bit two-dimensional and shallow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually liked that a number of the Northern lords were willing to remember Robb's follies and that he led them into destruction.

1 hour ago, Arky06 said:

What will this mean for those who DID remain loyal to the Starks?

There would seem to be a number of vacant seats throughout the North now that the Boltons, Karstarks, Glovers and Umbers are history. The wildlings, Mormonts and Hornwoods would seem in line to get some of these. Maybe Jon Snow as well if Sansa's doling out the seats.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All good points. I was waiting up until the last second for SmallJon to turn on Ramsay. No such luck. I guess we'll see how it all plays out in the rest of The North. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm, maybe the North is not a single entity that feels and acts in a single way based on a single understanding of a single line?

Maybe the North remembers centuries of fighting against Wildlings?

Maybe the North remembers you´re not supposed to leave the Night´s Watch.

Maybe the North remembers the leader of a great House being beheaded because some enemy prisioner died.

Maybe the North remembers the last two Stark wars which resulted in precisely squat. Correction, it resulted in a lot of death for them.

Maybe only part of the north remembers that the Starks were just, honorable lieges - notably, the part of the North that did not take part of the Battle of the Bastards because they couldn´t clearly see how that would really bring back the Starks (since, you know, all male Starks are officially dead).

 

And after the butchery, I´m fairly sure only the Manderlys have a reasonable army in the north now. That could come in handy. Maybe they remember that they´re pretty much the richest, strongest house in the North now. Maybe they remember that they have their own interests.

 

There´s just so much that the North can remember that doesn´t mean they´re plot-slaves to the Starks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, NutBurz said:

Maybe only part of the north remembers that the Starks were just, honorable lieges - notably, the part of the North that did not take part of the Battle of the Bastards because they couldn´t clearly see how that would really bring back the Starks (since, you know, all male Starks are officially dead).

There´s just so much that the North can remember that doesn´t mean they´re plot-slaves to the Starks.

Actually the Starks have already rebuild their house from a single female heir once in their not so ancient history, and well, in the books many of the northern lords actually only side with the Boltons because they think Jeyne Poole is Arya Stark or they're outright usurpers like the Karstark lord. I believe only Lady Dustin is actually loyal to the Boltons, and that just out of spite for Ned Stark... Having Sansa regardless of her marriage would be more than enough for most of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think there is also quite a difference between following Ned, who they knew was a good ruler, and following his children. Their ruling skills are unknown, the last child who ruled screwed up pretty bad, and they have a herd of wildlings coming along... Quite a big risk to take if you have the Bolton's wrath (and possibly the Crown's) to face if things do not go according to plan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Prince Jon said:

Despite no foreshadowing on the show, I  thought the Northmen would mutiny on Ramsey.  They knew of his evil side from previous instances.  Then he plays target practice with straight running Rickon.  Then he sacrifices a ton of them when he lets the arrows fly.  They see Jon's bravery to protect his brother.  Yet they still follow the crazy Ramsey bastard to the death while he just sits there watching?

Now are the Umbers and Karstaks are pretty much extinct.  It would have been wise to remember at some point that the Starks weren't that bad to live under.  

It grates my nipples that the major northern houses were portrayed the way they were. The Umbers are supposed to be fiercely loyal to the Starks. Complete omission of the Manderlys... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the North was made up of Hobbits, i bet they would remember second breakfast. These Northerners, not so much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How many people are even left in the north, like 5? I mean after losing thousands of men following Robb, some more lost to iron islanders, some probably lost to wildings and maybe in the fight with stannis, and now most of Jons army is gone and so is most of those fighting for the Boltons. Besides some women and children seriously how is anyone left to even appoint or follow a new KitN?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, NutBurz said:

Maybe the North remembers the leader of a great House being beheaded because some enemy prisioner died.

Maybe they didn't remember that said leader of a great house committed treason?

6 hours ago, NutBurz said:

Maybe the North remembers the last two Stark wars which resulted in precisely squat. Correction, it resulted in a lot of death for them.

It's very narrow minded to state that the war is only about the Starks. The consequences of the Starks, who were the Wardens of the North, not reacting to several treasonous transgressions committed by the Lanisters would have held severe consequences for all of the North, and the entire Seven Kingdoms. As well as being a blatant disregard for their responsibilities and duties.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, NutBurz said:

Correction, it resulted in a lot of death for them.

And maybe they forgot that most of the death was a direct result of the house they are now supporting betraying the North, and committing these murders?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...