4 hours ago, Lyin' Ned said:

So in the same episode where the Starks fight a desperate battle and defeat Ramsay by the skin of their teeth only thanks to the efforts of Baelish and the Vale, and still sustain some heavy losses (Rickon and Wun Wun), we have Dany beating the Masters like she's playing in Easy Mode. 

Everything goes well for her, there's no hiccup of any kind, the dragons are automatically obedient and synchronized, there are no major casualties on her side, and she even gets a brand new fleet to replace the ships she burned. She didn't even need the Greyjoys' help. 

Is this contrast just unfortunate? Should the battle had been harder for Dany? 

I did laugh at the other two dragon's just busting out of a wall. "Oh we're on Viscerion! Let's go bro, break down that wall we've been waiting to break down for a few episodes now!"

1 minute ago, Tchzaelous said:

I did laugh at the other two dragon's just busting out of a wall. "Oh we're on Viscerion! Let's go bro, break down that wall we've been waiting to break down for a few episodes now!"

Those poor things should've flown straight to Child Protective Services as soon as they got out. 

She had losses in season 1. Even gaining 3 baby dragons doesn't upset the loss of Drogo's Khalisaar. It wasn't until season 3 that the dragons were big enough to give anyone any kind of a real fight.

As for the ships, they were seige ships. There wouldn't have been any archers. You don't put archers on a ship that never gets close enough to the city to use archers. You can't even say they should have expected to need them to fight 3 giant dragons, because then it would be stupid to attack from the sea at all. One flyby by one dragon and 2 or 3 ships are burning. Attacking from the ground would be the only viable option.

This is also pre-engine technology. None of those ships could have manoeuvred to hit a new non-moving target in less than an hour. By then, the whole fleet would be gone.

2 hours ago, Cz-99 said:

When has Dany not had an easy win? After every 'struggle' she ends up with more than she had before. D&D want her to be badass or something, so she's not gonna fail in the show.

Yes but that's straight from the books, particularly aCoK and aSoS. She actually faces more obstacles in the show with the WHERE MY DRAGONS AT?! plotline, whereas the biggest setback she suffered at Qarth in the books was Ducksauce kicking her out of his house because she didn't wanna beard for him. 

4 hours ago, Tchzaelous said:

+1

I thoroughly enjoyed all of the Dany scenes in this episode. Yes, she got an easy win, but that actually fits with book canon - look at how easily Aegon the Conqueror and his sisters swooped in and decimated basically all of Westeros with the exact same number of dragons that Dany has. Dragons are meant to be the medieval equivalent of nuclear weapons. Nothing can stop dragons except other dragons. This episode just reinforced that.

Plus, it was so, so fun to watch.

1 minute ago, HellasLEAF said:

The way the dragons torched the one boat looked great.

The only problem with that scene is it needed to be longer.  

The entire battle should've been spread out over several episodes, yeah. And they had the material, I don't why they didn't do it like:

• Episode One: Tyrion welcomes Kinvara and her red girls to the city, Varys is dubious.
  • Episode Two: Tyrion meets the Masters, they refuse his terms and declare war, Varys is concerned.
  • Episode Three: The Masters launch their fleet to lay siege to the city, Varys is worried.
  • Episode Four: The Sons of the Harpy burn Dany's fleet, Varys is pissed.
  • Episode Five: The Red Priests take advantage of the chaos to gain more power and fund the Church of Dany and angry mobs demand the release of Dany's children, Varys is out of there.
  • Episode Six: Tyrion releases the dragons as a last ditch effort, the city is in chaos.
  • Episode Seven: The Greyjoys show up to break the siege, they say they ran into Varys in Volantis who told them to hurry up. 
  • Episode Eight: Dany and the Dothraki show up to defeat the Sons, who have Tyrion, Missandei and Grey Worm pinned inside the pyramid.
  • Episode Nine: Aftermath. 

See they could've had at least nine episodes of material if they hadn't rushed this. 

I honestly don't see how the whole WW threat won't also be an easy win for Dany. When she finally gets around to heading to westeros and makes her way north couldn't her and her three dragons just fly over the WW army breathing dragon fire , do a few rounds and boom done in like a day. I mean we've seen WW basically explode if they're touched with dragon glass or valyrian steel ie things made from dragon fire so I can only assume that actual dragon fire would be just as if not more effective. With 3 dragons and the and the advantage of being able to fly over them how is it even a threat or any kind of a challenge. 

3 minutes ago, nymeria_2321 said:

I honestly don't see how the whole WW threat won't also be an easy win for Dany. When she finally gets around to heading to westeros and makes her way north couldn't her and her three dragons just fly over the WW army breathing dragon fire , do a few rounds and boom done in like a day. I mean we've seen WW basically explode if they're touched with dragon glass or valyrian steel ie things made from dragon fire so I can only assume that actual dragon fire would be just as if not more effective. With 3 dragons and the and the advantage of being able to fly over them how is it even a threat or any kind of a challenge. 

So true

I would imagine eventually Dany will lose a dragon or two. I have to imagine the others are going to be immune to dragon fire, but they sure would do a number on the wight army.

The thought of using trebuchets (ship mounted none the less) against a dragon is so laughable I can't stop. Lets throw a flaming turd ball straight up in the air, pray to god it hits the dragon, because if it doesn't, that turd ball is coming straight back down..........

Not to mention your attacking a dragon with fire? Really?

And then there is the matter of simple physics and the fact that a trebuchet would have virtually no velocity when released at an angle needed to target a dragon overhead.

2 hours ago, Lyin' Ned said:

The entire battle should've been spread out over several episodes, yeah. And they had the material, I don't why they didn't do it like:

• Episode One: Tyrion welcomes Kinvara and her red girls to the city, Varys is dubious.
  • Episode Two: Tyrion meets the Masters, they refuse his terms and declare war, Varys is concerned.
  • Episode Three: The Masters launch their fleet to lay siege to the city, Varys is worried.
  • Episode Four: The Sons of the Harpy burn Dany's fleet, Varys is pissed.
  • Episode Five: The Red Priests take advantage of the chaos to gain more power and fund the Church of Dany and angry mobs demand the release of Dany's children, Varys is out of there.
  • Episode Six: Tyrion releases the dragons as a last ditch effort, the city is in chaos.
  • Episode Seven: The Greyjoys show up to break the siege, they say they ran into Varys in Volantis who told them to hurry up. 
  • Episode Eight: Dany and the Dothraki show up to defeat the Sons, who have Tyrion, Missandei and Grey Worm pinned inside the pyramid.
  • Episode Nine: Aftermath. 

See they could've had at least nine episodes of material if they hadn't rushed this. 

So much better.  The whole season has been horribly paced.  It truly is baffling.

Folks say they want realistic stuff but then complain if something looks too easy. Three flying fire breathing dragons should have an easy time with a bunch of wooden sailboats. Even the slightest difficulty would be unrealistic.. in a fantasy sense.

I do worry about dragons making the White Walker battle too easy tho'. Perhaps the dragons will have difficulty in the cold, or maybe they'll allow a bunch of cinematically pleasing death and destruction to occur before swooping in to save the day in a Vale Knight fashion

To be honest, after she got her unsullied army and her dragons growing to usable size, I'm astonished that she had too deal with obstacles at all.

I have no idea what the masters were thinking last episode. The dragons couldn't be that surprising.

And her army is so big now. Will there even be a force in Westeros that could stop her, if she arrives? The Martells may joining her cause and we don't know how many Tyrells and Lannisters will be existing after the finale.

I guess she will lose control over one or two dragons.

Archived