Jon IS a deserter of the Night's Watch

So, is everyone just ignoring the fact that Jon Snow is a deserter? Yes, I know. One could say that dying and being brought back released him from his vows (still arguable, but I like the concept) but are they telling that to everyone? I don't think so, and even if they are, then who would believe it?
First episode of the series we see Ned Stark beheading that poor deserter without hesitating, I'd expect any northerner to do the same.
To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if the show completely ignores this, I'm more concerned on how the books will handle it. I don't think GRRM will miss this fact.

Jon's watch ended with his death. I think its just a matter of time that it becomes well know. All his men know, the NW all know. Im assuming at this point Sansa knows as well. Besides, it would fall to his Lord Commander to punish him right? And the LC knows what happened.

28 minutes ago, BlackwaterPark said:

So, is everyone just ignoring the fact that Jon Snow is a deserter? Yes, I know. One could say that dying and being brought back released him from his vows (still arguable, but I like the concept) but are they telling that to everyone? I don't think so, and even if they are, then who would believe it?
First episode of the series we see Ned Stark beheading that poor deserter without hesitating, I'd expect any northerner to do the same.
To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if the show completely ignores this, I'm more concerned on how the books will handle it. I don't think GRRM will miss this fact.

...Just what?  The only ones that have encountered Jon either know that he died(wildlings, etc) or did call him out on it(Ramsey and the Boltons).  What more do you want? 

3 minutes ago, Chonte said:

Jon's watch ended with his death. I think its just a matter of time that it becomes well know. All his men know, the NW all know. Im assuming at this point Sansa knows as well. Besides, it would fall to his Lord Commander to punish him right? And the LC knows what happened.

Who, who was not present for Jon's death and later ressurection, will believe this argument?

8 minutes ago, Darksky said:

There's one who didn't ignore it. Ramsay, ironically.

5 minutes ago, DaMavs said:

Yes - Ramsay mentioned that he would pardon Jon for his desertion of the Night's Watch during their parley.  Jon didn't play the resurrection card to explain it though for some reason...

Yeah, of course. I'm talking about his possible allies, not about he who was already his enemy. Lady Mormont ignored it, Lord Glover rejected them but seemed to overlook that as well. And now there's the rest of the Northern houses to accept that Winterfell was taken back by an army led by a deserter of the Night's Watch. 

6 minutes ago, Quyen Thuy Tran said:

If it's true that Jon will be crowned King of the north then this doesn't mean much, after all the north needs someone to be at Winterfell like a firgure.

I don't think he will. It's Sansa's and his husband to be, by right. Of course there's Bran, only they all they he's dead.

1 minute ago, Chonte said:

Not just the LC, Ned Stark as Warden Of The North beheaded the deserter. Not sure who's responsibility it is to punish deserters, but deserting the NW has been mentioned several times as something really serious.

1 minute ago, BlackwaterPark said:

I don't think he will. It's Sansa's and his husband to be, by right. Of course there's Bran, only they all they he's dead.

Jon will be crowned king of the north, not a girl who has married to 2 of her enemies. The Vale surely would want Sansa to rule Winterfell but the Northern houses don't trust her. They would rather choose a bastard who could fight than Sansa IMO. 

3 minutes ago, Noveson said:

...Just what?  The only ones that have encountered Jon either know that he died(wildlings, etc) or did call him out on it(Ramsey and the Boltons).  What more do you want? 

Mormont and Glover. Though I'm thinking more of future accusations. The Vale, the rest of the northern houses that now know an army led by a deserter took back Winterfell... pretty much everyone who wasn't there to see the resurrection. 

2 minutes ago, rsx_titan said:

Its plot armor plain and simple. GRRM had to think of way to release Jon from the Night's Watch.

As I said, I'm good with that, I like the loophole even though it's arguable. Jon Snow can desert knowing he died by the hand of his subordinates, but you still have a whole kingdom where resurrections are not something you see every day to believe you.

It's rather apparent how he'll get around desertion in the books 

Spoiler

Robb likely legitimized Jon in his will 

In the show I'd imagine that people will continually bring up that he's a deserter and but will not be in any position to do anything about it (Boltons were but Jon won and there's no major houses in the north to enforce his execution). 

Of course no one is going to care whether he's technically a deserter or not when the WW show up. 

16 minutes ago, Chonte said:

Exactly, and there will be bigger problems that need to be adressed as opposed to Jon being a deserter or not. Don't think anyone will have a problem with Jon leaving. I guess in the near future he will be in overall command of all available forces in the north. Including the NW. 

There is a war going on and no-one to reinforce the law. Usually it would be the Warden of the North or the King.

Power is changing hands too fast in the North for anyone to really bother with small things like that.

That aside there is no legal precedent to what happened with Jon. He commanded the NW and got killed by his own brothers.

The oath ends when you die. He died. He's a free man of the free folk.

The show has addressed this only with Ramsay. I was only surprised that the Glovers and Mormonts didnt say anything about it.

Nobody cares. They are war with the dead and the white walkers. Everybody has better things to worry about than whether Jon should be considered a deserter or his death releases from his vows. Nor should they care. This is not the time to worry about petty things like Jon the most suitable leader to fight the white walkers breaking some Night's Watch code. 

But hey maybe Lady Cersei Stark will care! And she wil behead Jon for deserting to make sure he is no threat to her claim to Winterfell. 

Archived