Mel & Davos: forgive & forget?

Melisandre and Davos' relationship turned into mild tolerance this season, but it looks that's all about to change now that Davos found that carving. Or is it?

If he made one thing clear in the previous seasons, Davos has always been very fond of Shireen and unfailingly loyal to Stannis, yet he's also never failed to confront Stannis with his obvious flaws. That honesty continues in the comments he's made after Stannis' death. Melisandre seems to be trying out honesty for the first time; I'm not sure how much she likes it, but she's had a crisis of faith and seen it restored. She doesn't have any better insight about the god she serves, but at least, the glamour has faded. I've always thought there should be some justice for the horrible things she's done, but honestly, I like this Mel and would hate to see her go now.

What's the future look like for Mel and Davos?  If the trailer for ep. 10 isn't misleading, she's about to get some payback. Or could Davos have a change of heart still? 

Dany has dragons 

Jon has a giant... wait no he doesn't

Dany has an unsullied

Jon as wildlings wait no no he has a few

Dany has Red Witches

Jon has a Red witch nope not anymore.

To be honest these two should be paralleling each other to build that dramatic effect for what ever they have planned but it doesn't seem to be playing out that way. im very curious on how his one will play out. But that's all I got for the show these days a mild curiosity. Well I also got what I think they should do and what they do... that's always fun. I should turn that into a drinking game.

7 minutes ago, kazbar said:

I may be missing the point of her but i find her a rather pointless character

Well, she's less a character and more like a plot device, a walking collection of Dragonballs, if you will. 

For that reason alone Davos would be a fool to kill her. What's done is done, killing Mel won't bring Shireen back, but Mel can bring people back.

And it's not like she's leading Jon into certain doom like she did Stannis. Now she's just like a tired old granny sitting on a rocking chair all day. Even if she tells Jon to burn someone he'll be like, Yeah yeah, whatever you say, Mel. Time for your nap now.

I was originally thinking she might still go down the Nissa Nissa route... But with how the storytelling has been handled this season, she'll either be unceremoniously killed off to lower the CGI budget (miss you Shags and Summer), or they'll have her stand in the background to fill scenes while Sansa shows off how awesomely she can get her brother's army killed off while brooding and trying to look badass.

Given that we just found out that Jon's camp was in the same place as Stannis' camp, and that Jon's camp was a morning's walk from Winterfell, I wonder if Davos will ask Mel why it was necessary to burn Shireen in order for the snow to melt so they could get to Winterfell since THEY WERE ALREADY THERE!!!!

LOL

My god yes that really is a huge plot hole... Didn't even realise but that is very very unlogical.. @Stannistician 

I certainly hope that Mel walks away alive from this thing though, I actually like her a lot.. She's fascinating and now that we know she's that old I'm very curious to know what she has seen and where she has been... If we ever get to see that at least. And it's thanks to her the show deals with AA.. Although she obviously screwed up with Stannis I think she could give a lot of clues on where to look next for AA and lightbringer. 

1 hour ago, Stannistician said:

Given that we just found out that Jon's camp was in the same place as Stannis' camp, and that Jon's camp was a morning's walk from Winterfell, I wonder if Davos will ask Mel why it was necessary to burn Shireen in order for the snow to melt so they could get to Winterfell since THEY WERE ALREADY THERE!!!!

LOL

Man you dont understand being hungry and cold and one day is too hard an iron willed commander :rofl:

1 hour ago, Stannistician said:

LOL

Battling / trying to lay siege to a castle / digging trenches in the snow would have been extremely difficult, regardless of how far away or close they were to Winterfell. 

That isn't an inconsistency at all. 

31 minutes ago, TickTak7 said:

Battling / trying to lay siege to a castle / digging trenches in the snow would have been extremely difficult, regardless of how far away or close they were to Winterfell. 

That isn't an inconsistency at all. 

Haha.  I like to think this is what D&D try to tell themselves, but the truth is that they probably thought nobody would notice.  It's insulting to the audience. 

Getting back to the main issue posted on this thread.

Jon isn't very fond of Mel and her magic. Yes, she brought him back but he didn't ask for it and doesn't trust what she does and the Red God. He believes in the Old gods. Therefore, even though she brought him back, she'll have to answer for killing a little girl.

And here is where I think things will go a little bit Nissa Nissa as Tchzaleous said. Not in the same way, but she'll sacrifice for the greater good and doing so, she'll be punished for so many burning people.

2 minutes ago, Stannistician said:

It's insulting to the audience. 

They think the audience is incredibly stupid. They changed Asha's name for Yara because people would confuse her with Osha, just before getting them out of the series (we didn't see Osha after season 3) and Osha only came back just to be killed in 2 minutes.

2 hours ago, Stannistician said:

LOL

In the books the issue wasn't even the distance the Winterfell, it was how hard  it was snowing. People literally couldn't see in front of their own face. Good luck sieging a castle with that kind of visibility.

2 minutes ago, ShadowLiberal said:

In the books the issue wasn't even the distance the Winterfell, it was how hard  it was snowing. People literally couldn't see in front of their own face. Good luck sieging a castle with that kind of visibility.

I was referring to what was presented in the show, not the books. 

38 minutes ago, Stannistician said:

Haha.  I like to think this is what D&D try to tell themselves, but the truth is that they probably thought nobody would notice.  It's insulting to the audience. 

So you are provided with a reasonable and common sense explanation to what you perceive to be a plot, discount it, and go straight to feeling insulted as an audience member?

k.

While its obviously a bit foolish to approach anything of D&D's creation with logic (and I am still under the belief that the whole Stannis burning Shireen is D&D), what are Davos' options here?  Mel convinced Stannis to burn Shireen, but she also brought back Jon, which allowed Jon to fight Ramsey.  What if they need her magic in the future..is Davos willing to throw that away (since this new Davos is apparently cool with black magic). 

Who is he even complaining to, since they just killed the Warden in the North.  Who is even dispensing out "justice?"  Is there even such a thing anymore?  Will he just plunge the knife in her directly?  He's gone down that road before and it just landed him in a jail cell.

Assuming Mel isn't too depressed and destracted these days, she should already know what Davos' intentions are.

2 hours ago, Stannistician said:

LOL

That whole scene was out of place. Along the same lines didn't anyone expect this battle to be snowier? 

45 minutes ago, Stannistician said:

That seems a common theme these days.

5 minutes ago, TickTak7 said:

So you are provided with a reasonable and common sense explanation to what you perceive to be a plot, discount it, and go straight to feeling insulted as an audience member?

k.

Trolling or sarcasm? It's hard to tell on the board sometimes.

Archived