The Reign of the Females/The Battle of the Queens

Based on this season's events next season Game of Thrones just might be an epic cat fight. As the oldest legitimate Stark (Bran is unavailable at the moment) Sansa will lead the North. Then there is Yara Greyjoy forming an alliance with Daenerys to reclaim the iron islands, and there is Daenerys herself who has proven yet again that she is a total bad-ass and she is ready to conquer all. We can't forget about Cersei and Margaery silently scheming and plotting, albeit separately to regain some kind of control over Tomen and the iron throne. And what about Ellaria and the Sand Snakes? they can be plotting anything over there in Dorne. There are other noteworthy characters like Arya who is on her way home to her sister, Lady Brienne who, most-likely is on her way back to Sansa, Lady Lyanna Mormont  the leader of her house and formidable ally of the Starks and Meera Reed though her character is yet to take flight, one gets the feeling that her role is going to get bigger and more important as  there is too much mystery surrounding her and her decease brother. This might be wishful thinking, but maybe Lady Stoneheart might show up next season, and don't you ever count-out The Red-Woman. So maybe they will fight each other or maybe they won't, It might be like A Clash of King or it might not. Whatever next season turns out to be one thing is sure; the females are going to be bad-asses. Daenerys' feminist movement has gone pandemic.

If Dany takes the Iron Throne and cedes the Iron Islands to Yara, I can see her offering Warden of the North to Sansa. Given the threat from beyond the Wall it would make sense to accept the deal and unite. And yes, if Dorne ever make a reappearance, Ellaria would be their princess too.

1 minute ago, House Cambodia said:

If Dany takes the Iron Throne and cedes the Iron Islands to Yara, I can see her offering Warden of the North to Sansa. Given the threat from beyond the Wall it would make sense to accept the deal and unite. And yes, if Dorne ever make a reappearance, Ellaria would be their princess too.

Dorne is probably in full civil war-mode now.  I doubt that the Martell bannermen/vassals are going to sit by and let a woman with no blood relation to the princes she murdered just sit herself on the throne of Dorne (except maybe for the house of Ellaria's father, can't remember the name).  Ellaria would put one of her daughters by Oberyn on the throne, if she's smart, to at least continue the bloodline of the Princes of Dorne; but TV-Ellaria is not very bright.  

3 minutes ago, Raksha 2014 said:

Dorne is probably in full civil war-mode now.  I doubt that the Martell bannermen/vassals are going to sit by and let a woman with no blood relation to the princes she murdered just sit herself on the throne of Dorne (except maybe for the house of Ellaria's father, can't remember the name).  Ellaria would put one of her daughters by Oberyn on the throne, if she's smart, to at least continue the bloodline of the Princes of Dorne; but TV-Ellaria is not very bright.  

In the SHOW? That's highly unlikely. They have neither the time nor the inclination to have a 3D plot in Dorne.

6 minutes ago, Raksha 2014 said:

And yes, if Dorne ever make a reappearance, Ellaria would be their princess too.

That's what I replied to; should have specified that it was only in the event that the show wasted more screen time on their botched-up Dornish scenario (of course, they threw logic out the window in having Ellaria decide that the best way to avenge her beloved Oberyn was to murder his brother and nephew).

I agree with the possibility of a civil war it would have made more sense if Princess Arianne existed. The show ruined the story of Dorne I hope they find some way to salvage it. They never should have left Princess Arianne out of it, she could have been a force to contend with next season. And why is Ellaria so stupid?

1 minute ago, Cz-99 said:

Thank Zeus for the books.

Thissss! Seriously of all the "queens", Yara is the most reasonable to me. 

Dorne is a joke (Fxxx it) because they have decided to cut of a lot of characters. Dany is getting everything so easily which makes me think there will be a storm wiping out half of her people on the sea. 

Sansa technically is playing a game of distrusting her last known remain family. How exciting huh...

Yeah, nice catch. By the way, the biggest love of GRRM was a feminist, and when she dumped him for another he was hurt. So the termin of feminine society is something familiar in his pieces and it takes a special place. Reasonable explaination would be all the battles and wars men fought each other, so lately ladies are more numerable like twice, trice..even more..

Bran is on his way back so Sansa won't be in power long enough to do a ton of stuff. And I am kind of sick of this "Women on top" stuff. It is okay if it makes sense, but the way stuff is happening on the show makes it seem like it is being influenced by outside agenda.

1 hour ago, JohnStormWeaver said:

ugh. i really really hate the Boss Bitch schtick they are trying to force into everyone of these female characters

D&D have a schoolboy concept of feminism / strong women. They think take female, add violence and stir.

Subtleties like greater strength means NOT resorting to violence is beyond them, for women or men alike. Tyrion was for a while a mature voice, as is Varys. Both are continually subject to bad jokes, and Tyrion has collapsed into a caricature of himself now D&D don't have the clever scripting from the books for him. Martin has said he takes a while to think up Tyrion's comments.

D&D have very little knowledge of mediaeval women. The real mediaeval women were both powerful and subject to great suffering. They died in childbirth a lot; they had little freedom of choice including their marriages when young (but boys' marriages were also arranged for them); women could be beaten by husbands, but then so could men be beaten by a higher status man. Women were in the position of vassal to a husband (or father). However they also gained power as they grew older, as men did (young people of both sexes had little).

Women held power through influence, frequently valued as advisers by husbands and brothers and sons: a higher class woman could have knowledge of the law and custom to do so. They built networks of influence through fosterage, so children they brought up from other families owed them affection and loyalty which paid off later in their networks. They organised large events for 100s or 1,000s of people: feasts and celebrations which functioned as political events for negotiations. Women not only organised massive staff work (like the staff side of armies) providing appropriate food, drink and fodder all by cart or ship haulage, and without cold storage as we know it, they provided entertainers/ minstrels (often mobile spies). They were regents and wardens of territories when men left for wars, sometimes for years at a time. As widows they ran kingdoms and estates on behalf of young heirs. They endowed churches (temples) and monastery networks which acted like mini empires. They established trading networks, especially in fabrics and food, which spanned a continent, and they organised charters for towns and guilds. They were patrons of artists, and writers, who were the PR media of the day.

D&D are back in the days of early Mills & Boon Romances! With added gore and tacky sex. Pathetic.

I used to run assertiveness groups for women (and men) and back in the 70s a consciousness raising group (Women's Movement group). There is a first stage which today labels 'empowerment' which I prefer as Assertiveness I. This is like D&D's idea of a powerful woman, clumsy and nervous attempts at power, being shouty, ranting (speeches), trying to dominate. Then there's the stage when one realises that we don't HAVE to argue, fight, dominate. We can pick when we want to do that, the times it really matters (Assertiveness II). In terms of warfare this means doing something badass and doing it really badass so after that people tend to back off! No need to keep doing it compulsively. Finally comes (Assertiveness III) which goes beyond compulsive attempts to look powerful. These kinds of women/ men often seem quite switched off, mild, and notably, kind. They can afford to be kind like the feminist who understands men's delicacy. But you don't mistake their quietness for weakness oh no. Tywin Lannister understood a bit when he said anyone who has to say they're a king is a weak one.

As for the obsession with prostitutes, rape, and boy's own version of lesbians, well I suppose D&D also have no idea what good sex is like poor dears.

Archived