R+L=J confirmation? Who/how?

On 2/22/2017 at 7:26 PM, MtnLion said:

Or can be mistaken for Stark eyes.  Aegon V's eyes were so deep a dark purple as to appear to be black. Rhaegar, himself, had "dark indigo" eyes. 

Martin's words, not mine. GRRM describes them as grey so dark as to appear black. He resembles Lyanna, not Rhaegar, just as Arya resembles the Starks, while the other children are described as "favoring their Tully mother".

32 minutes ago, Lady Sansa's Direwolf said:

Martin's words, not mine. GRRM describes them as grey so dark as to appear black. He resembles Lyanna, not Rhaegar, just as Arya resembles the Starks, while the other children are described as "favoring their Tully mother".

And, that is which POV (point being it is not GRRM describing them, it is a POV)?  Does the POV assume that since Jon is a Stark that his eyes must be gray?  Even though the POV notes that they are very dark, appearing black?  I will point out once again that Egg's eyes were described as black, too.  ;) 

Umm, the POV of Jon is from Ned, Chapter one I do believe. And the wording is 'grey, so dark as to appear black". As Ned as looked Jon in the eyes every day of his life, I think he would know the difference.

The Starks children are described in every chapter as favoring Catelyn except for Arya, who reminds Ned of a young Lyanna.

Likewise remember - black is all colors, not the absence of any.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 4:19 PM, Lady Sansa's Direwolf said:

Umm, the POV of Jon is from Ned, Chapter one I do believe. And the wording is 'grey, so dark as to appear black". As Ned as looked Jon in the eyes every day of his life, I think he would know the difference.

The Starks children are described in every chapter as favoring Catelyn except for Arya, who reminds Ned of a young Lyanna.

Likewise remember - black is all colors, not the absence of any.

The glass is half-full.  Black is indeed the absence of light which differentiates colors.  No light, no color.  And the color of the ambient light can influence our perceptions of colors, as well.  So, to suggest that black is all colors, neglects the fact that it is the absorption of all colors.  What we see is the reflection of colors, and the reflection of all colors is perceived as white in the ambient lighting conditions.  So, I do remember my physics and art classes. 

Now, it may have gone by unnoticed, so I will point out explicitly that we are getting the non-omniscient POVs that GRRM gives us.  It is not GRRM's description, but the POV's description which is fallible.  There are some notable contradictions in the POVs, and whether they mean anything may yet be seen.  By the way, the way that GRRM describes his purple eye shades is similar to the purple of Elizabeth Taylor's eyes.  Now, I always believed that they were blue, but I can see GRRM's perspective at play, too. 

Archived