Who is next in line for the throne right now?

Very quick question.  If show Tommen were to die next week (not saying he will - just hypothetically in the "gold will be their shrouds" mentality), who becomes king?

Robert's legitimate children are dead.  Stannis and Renly have no heirs.  Dany retains her claim obviously but wouldn't be the successor.  I'm assuming there's a Baratheon cousin somewhere.  My husband thinks Gendry will finally arrive in King's Landing to take the crown.

it will be perfect for Dany to arrive Westeros when King Landing is in chaos and people dying because of mad Cersei. They might hail Dany as the rightful queen right away out of fear... lol

IF she makes it to Westeros in full of her glory without any storm in the sea...

1 hour ago, Tall Tyrion Lannister! said:

I asked this question on a different forum, and i think the answer was a distant cousin  of tywin i think. Either that or Cersei through Tywins great great  grandad. it's one of the two.

What have the Lannisters to do with this? The throne belongs to the Baratheons... do we know they were related to them??? We would need to go back at least 5 generations to find another descendant, probably a female Baratheon that married into another house.... Considering how rare were marriages outside kingdoms, most likely the heir is someone among the Stormland houses... Something like Harry the Heir in the Vale. I'm sure all the Houses in the Stormlands know who that is.... but I doubt GRRM has made it clear.

In reality, in Westeros there would need to be a Great Council, where multiple candidates would be presented .... that's not going to happen in the situation the kingdom is right now. It would likely cause another war. In the show... probably the Tyrells would control the city if they survive... in the books, probably people would flock to Aegon.

Gendry has absolutely no right!!! He's not even recognized, not to mention legitimized. He needs a king to do that and if there is a king than the situation is moot. But even more so, he's completely uneducated, not very smart, how would any noble house follow his lead?? It's ludicrous... so it will most likely happen in the show. He gets Storm's End.

9 hours ago, Alayne Stone said:

Very quick question.  If show Tommen were to die next week (not saying he will - just hypothetically in the "gold will be their shrouds" mentality), who becomes king?

Robert's legitimate children are dead.  Stannis and Renly have no heirs.  Dany retains her claim obviously but wouldn't be the successor.  I'm assuming there's a Baratheon cousin somewhere.  My husband thinks Gendry will finally arrive in King's Landing to take the crown.

Technically, since all legitimate members of Baratheon dynasty would be gone, illegitimate ones would be next in line. Either that, or returning to the previous dynasty.

So Gendry, yes. But he's not taking the throne, he lacks support of any kind. If Tommen dies, the chaos will make the formal claims useless. Only military power would decide about who sits on the throne next.

1 hour ago, Tall Tyrion Lannister! said:

I asked this question on a different forum, and i think the answer was a distant cousin  of tywin i think. Either that or Cersei through Tywins great great  grandad. it's one of the two.

This, strictly legally speaking it's Jaime because of like 3 or 4 generations ago in the Baratheon line. But it's would never actually come to that, there'd be a great council in normal circumstances but it will be taken them through force in this one.

10 hours ago, Alayne Stone said:

Someone did a huge analysis of bloodlines and discovered that, assuming Robert's claim had to do with his Targ grandmother, the Lannisters are actually the next closest related to the Targs, and since Jaime is no longer KG that makes him the heir. Don't know if I buy this logic, but I guess in this show since so much is based on the Lannisters it would make sense, at least in theory. 

40 minutes ago, Bayard said:

In reality, in Westeros there would need to be a Great Council, where multiple candidates would be presented .... that's not going to happen in the situation the kingdom is right now. It would likely cause another war. In the show... probably the Tyrells would control the city if they survive... in the books, probably people would flock to Aegon.

This, yeah. I think basically KL will implode. (Or explode, if Cersei does indeed blow it to smithereens.) 

I think the question is soon to be moot as King's Landing will be a charred relic by the time Daenerys gets there, and if it's not, she'll take it by force regardless of who is next in line.  Not a Daenerys fan honestly but she's got about the biggest most terrifying army right now and three big dragons.  After all the war and spent resources, I doubt what's left will put up much of a resistance, if they resist at all.

2 hours ago, Gertrude said:

Civil war or conquest. In more peaceful times I might add Great Counsel, but realistically, it will be taken by force.

This!

If there's no heir, the throne goes to the one who claims it by force.

This is after all the way to do thuch things in Westeros - we should take in mind that the Targs did claim the throne by force as well. After them was Rob Baratheon, and now...??? we'll see...

Regular succession to a heir only works as long there is no one who cleims the throne by force.

11 hours ago, Alayne Stone said:

I think chaos will ensue on the Royal front at least in the short term, until the rightful Heir makes her way back from Essos on dragonback. (In the books things look a little more complicated of course)  And of course Robert aka The Usurper didn't have any legitimate children ;-) 

If Dany arrives with her dragons before any workable claim is made then it's no question who will rule. She has a claim more legitimate than anyone else could muster show-wise. On top of that she has dragons and an army of impressive size and is just beginning to be introduced to houses that will support her in Westeros, the Ironborn being the very first small step. 

People keep repeating that Dany should be above claims of heritage and rightful places and above slaughter as well; she isn't. No one is, it's not like our world today and much harsher than our world of the past. Every power struggle in their world looms with the threat of death and brutality - no one is above is taking the easiest road to their destination especially since it ties up loose ends so neatly. 

Archived