Who is next in line for the throne right now?

2 minutes ago, Adam Targaryen said:

Precisely, there are no true Baratheons left from Rhaelle's line so the next heir would probably be from another house with Targaryen ties.

We got to the same destination taking different roads but, in the end, agree. Assuming the death of stannis, the line of targs is not broken, despite the rebellion, thanks to Robert.

i will say, that if Jon Arryn or Ned took the IT after the rebellion it would be a whole different ballgame 

With Tommen's death, that's the end of House Baratheon's royal line. He'll have no royal cousin or uncle to inherit after him, which means that House Baratheon of King's Landing effectively comes to an end.

House Lannister cousins like Kevan or another cousin of Cersei could try to claim the throne through a maternal lineage through Cersei. But that would be very weak grounds and no one's going to jump over themselves to shore it up, especially after everything Cersei has done. A Tyrell could try as well through Margaery, but this is also highly doubtful.

So after Tommen dies, the ruling institution of the Iron Throne effectively becomes null and void until someone just comes and takes the world's least comfortable chair for themselves. (Like Dany is gearing up to do right now)

Alternatively, everyone starts killing each other even more until a magic sword gets stuck in an anvil with these words:

"Whosoever shall pull the sword from this stone and anvil shall be rightful king of all of Westeros."

Many will try with all of their strength, but since all of the honorable and worthy people in Westeros are either dead, exiled, or extremely busy, everyone present will fail the test. Then everyone will go home, the sword will be forgotten and Westeros will enter a dark age without law and without hope.

Otherwise, your guess is as good as anyone else's.

The funny thing is, even though Robert took the throne by right of Conquest, legally he justified it using his Targaryen claim lineage. So with no Baratheon's Dany could just show up and have a very easy claim to the throne saying she's the last trueborn of either the Targaryen and Baratheon line. If blood (or what people believe to be blood) is taken into account.

Realistically Cersie or Margeary would be the closest to the last king to have a real claim to the throne. And Cersie could claim blood of the last King and the mother and wife of the two former kings. So if she wasn't absolutely hated, she would have the easiest time getting the throne.

29 minutes ago, lancerman said:

The funny thing is, even though Robert took the throne by right of Conquest, legally he justified it using his Targaryen claim lineage. So with no Baratheon's Dany could just show up and have a very easy claim to the throne saying she's the last trueborn of either the Targaryen and Baratheon line. If blood (or what people believe to be blood) is taken into account.

Realistically Cersie or Margeary would be the closest to the last king to have a real claim to the throne. And Cersie could claim blood of the last King and the mother and wife of the two former kings. So if she wasn't absolutely hated, she would have the easiest time getting the throne.

Wait, what?

I'm not sayingyou're wrong, but i don't think I've ever heard Robert claimed a right based on Targaryen bloodlines.

Again, I'm not saying you're wrong, but what is the source for that? (I've read every book twice and seen every t.v. episode multiple times, and I don't recall that, but of course there's a LOT of information, especially in the books)

Just now, Cron said:

Wait, what?

I'm not sayingyou're wrong, but i don't think I've ever heard Robert claimed a right based on Targaryen bloodlines.

Again, I'm not saying you're wrong, but what is the source for that? (I've read every book twice and seen every t.v. episode multiple times, and I don't recall that, but of course there's a LOT of information, especially in the books)

Ned says it in the first book. He says something like "Robert used his Baratheon relationship to justify it, but he really took it". It was why the throne went to Robert instead of Jon or Ned (both of who had better claims by conquest).

56 minutes ago, lancerman said:

Ned says it in the first book. He says something like "Robert used his Baratheon relationship to justify it, but he really took it". It was why the throne went to Robert instead of Jon or Ned (both of who had better claims by conquest).

Wow, good stuff, thanks!!!

If Tommen died suddenly, I think Margaery would find a way to discretely get pregnant at once and declare the child Tommen's. If she's determined enough to marry three kings to be queen, retaining the crown through her child wouldn't seem to be out of the question. Heck, the High Sparrow himself was encouraging her to conceive an heir.

5 hours ago, Lord Lannister said:

If Tommen died suddenly, I think Margaery would find a way to discretely get pregnant at once and declare the child Tommen's. If she's determined enough to marry three kings to be queen, retaining the crown through her child wouldn't seem to be out of the question. Heck, the High Sparrow himself was encouraging her to conceive an heir.

Very interesting.  I agree she'd be clever enough to do that, ambitious enough to do that, and that it would make great story-telling.

Wonder who she would choose to be the biological father, though.

17 hours ago, YOVMO said:

We got to the same destination taking different roads but, in the end, agree. Assuming the death of stannis, the line of targs is not broken, despite the rebellion, thanks to Robert.

i will say, that if Jon Arryn or Ned took the IT after the rebellion it would be a whole different ballgame 

Which begs the question: Why wasn't Jon Arryn, the man that started the rebellion and the first who called his bannermen proclaimed King?....or Ned Stark the first general from the rebellion who reached to KL?.....Ned gave the answer to Robert Baratheon: "you had the better claim". What made Robert a King was his Targ blood and now the crown have to come back to the Targ family.

30 minutes ago, Lord Freddy Blackfyre said:

Which begs the question: Why wasn't Jon Arryn, the man that started the rebellion and the first who called his bannermen proclaimed King?....or Ned Stark the first general from the rebellion who reached to KL?.....Ned gave the answer to Robert Baratheon: "you had the better claim". What made Robert a King was his Targ blood and now the crown have to come back to the Targ family.

100% correct. the iron throne is a Targaryen throne and remained so after the rebellion. So long as there is an Iron Throne it must be sat by targs imo. If another wants to conquer westeros they will need to melt that thing down for scrap

On 6/23/2016 at 3:00 PM, Lord Freddy Blackfyre said:

Since the Baratheon are just a bunch of usurpers the rightful ruler is the same that was before Tommen: Daenerys Stornborn of House Targaryen, The Unburn, Mother of Dragons, Braker of Shakles,  First of her name, Queen of the Seven Kingdoms, the Andals, the Rhoynar and the First Men, Khaleese of the Great Grass Sea.

The amount of titles is nauseating.

On 6/21/2016 at 8:15 AM, Apathetic Onlooker said:

I think the question is soon to be moot as King's Landing will be a charred relic by the time Daenerys gets there, and if it's not, she'll take it by force regardless of who is next in line.  Not a Daenerys fan honestly but she's got about the biggest most terrifying army right now and three big dragons.  After all the war and spent resources, I doubt what's left will put up much of a resistance, if they resist at all.

No they won't resist becuase of the dragons, which are not that big yet. They still have no chance against the others. 

I read an article that supposedly traced the Baratheon tree very far back & found the last male of Baratheon blood. I can't remember exactly how it went but I believe this male had a daughter who married Tytos ( or maybe Tytos' father?) I think it was Tytos. Anyway Tytos then had Tywin & Tywin's eldest son we all know is Jaime. Since he has been removed from the KG that would make him the rightful heir (if this article is correct. I tried to trace back the Baratheon line & was not near as fortunate as the article) If Jaime is restored to the KG, technically Tyrion would be heir but since he is exiled that only leaves Cersei... Eek! 

ETA: Unless of course we are following the Targ line. I don't think its clear cut what the rules are. Robert used his distant Targ relation as a legal premise for the IT but he was a Baratheon. At any rate I don't think Dany or Cersei or Jaime will ever sit the IT anyway. 

If Rhaegar and Lyanna were married, then Jon has a stronger claim than Dany, but I don't think that uncomfortable chair is anything close to what Jon wants. Not to mention, he has his hands full in the North. I saw the same article that said Jaime would be next in line once the Baratheon is extinguished.

• 1 month later...

Archived