Whats the point of the dire wolves?

Ben GT

21 minutes ago, Being Daenerys Targaryen said:

Why do you think that Summer's death was unnecessary? Hodor, the children of the forest, and Summer died all to protect Bran... Ok Summer didn't do so much and died very soon, but I reckon there is another reason why he had to die. He's called 'Summer'. A white reaven was sent throughout the realm to announce that the Summer was officially finished... WINTER IS HERE... SO I presume, SUMMER had to die...

Agreed -- the death of Summer was absolutely relevant. Sansa said it herself, "winter is here." Winter means the death of the sweet summer, both literally and figuratively.

On 22/06/2016 at 6:57 PM, CalvoHobbo said:

Nymeria, I feel the same way, we do know that she is named after a warrior conqueror revered to the point of worship as a goddess, and that she came from Essos to Westeros. I think we see the parrallels of Arya's journey as a warrior from Essos back to Westeros, but she is not a queen, nor is she revered/worshiped. In fact she is the opposite because she has spent the entire story deliberately hiding in the shadows.  So, is Arya destined to become a ruler? I'd like it, but I just don't see how that works, without a prologue to the story that skips a significant amount of time. Also, do we know the fate of Nymeria?

I think she might become the Lady stoneheart leader of the brotherhood without banners. As they introduced them this season in the riverlands the exact same place where Nymeria was sent away and also the exact same place where Arya is... So I reckon she might become the LSH. And I think that she will finally meet Melissandre as Jon sent her away... (South)... That's my thoughts... Is she going to kill her off?

On 21.06.2016 at 4:27 PM, CalvoHobbo said:

Why is it so much harder to make a CGI wolf than a CGI dragon? Or white walker or wight or knights on horses battling each other in the mud? 

Fur.

Dragons are hairless. CGI-ing so much hair, making it change shape, shake in response to the movement of the animal/person and all, is a nightmare. Many layers of craft go into the basic look of fur.

The problem is that some people think the show has this huge budget that enables it to do anything. There are limitations as the show has huge expenses.

i remember when people complained about the dire wolves being too small (they used real dogs) so then the directors used cgi to make them bigger. Then people moved on to complaining about them not looking good so in response they reduced screen time but now people want more of direwolves

6 season, each book is bigger than the other and only increases the amount of POV characters and locations. Dragons and contracts for actors/actresses get even bigger.

It's too bad about the slow exit of direwolves from the show, but we can at least say that this is pretty strong evidence that even in the best case scenario, the direwolves (with possible exceptions of Ghost and Nymeria, TBD) are not major factors in the big picture at this point. They've in some ways already served their purposes in the storyline, as a foreshadowing of Stark v. Baratheon when the pups were first found. The ability of multiple Starks to warg into their wolves has also clearly been downplayed in the show (Jon, Arya in particular), which also sadly says that Jon and Arya's warging abilities are not critical to the big picture as well.

On 6/21/2016 at 4:32 AM, Ben GT said:

As above, as we go further and further into the series the dire wolves are either dead or getting no screen time at all.

I'm beginning to wonder why have the dire wolves at all? Obviously Bran used to warg into his, but that could have been a wild wolf north of the wall, it didn't have to be a particular dire wolf .

Will Ghost have a major role as the things start to clear up?

Dany's dragons clearly have a point and I always believed the wolves would in a similar way but it's becoming clearer they're useless- besides they are on the Stark sidual. Unless I'm missing something...?

Have you read the books?

They are MUCH more useful in the books, and they are around a LOT more.

When Robb Stark was fighting, Grey Wind was by his side, probably crossing off as many enemies as Robb, if not more.

I expect Ghost and Nymeria will be doing the same.  In fact, it's quite possible (maybe even likely) that Nymeria is going to lead a huge, wild pack of wolves into battle (last I heard, Nymeria was in the Riverlands, leading a huge pack of wild wolves)

They've been "nerfed" for the show, though, partly b/c of CGI expenses, and partly b/c of more limited time to tell the story, in my opinion.

On 22/06/2016 at 7:36 PM, Lady Lyanna Mormont said:

At least on the books, she's around Riverlands with her pack. Arya took Catelyn out of the water while warging her. I'd say she's at the same place on the show but I don't know if they'll address her.

You're probably right, I thought that might be a reason why Greywind was with Robb whereas Ghost wasn't in battle, but since I don't recall the details, I refrained from comment even further, but thanks for the info!
It was just Summer. By that time, Bran and Rickon had gone their separate ways.

Are you talking about the first time Bran warged in Hodor (show)? They were with Rickon, Meera, Osha and Meera's brother... After that, Bran told Rickon that when He warged into SUmmer, he saw Jon, but he escaped... Then he told Osha to bring Rickon to the Umbers because they were their father's most loyal bannerman... So I guess it was Summer and Shaggydog... 

12 hours ago, Being Daenerys Targaryen said:

Are you talking about the first time Bran warged in Hodor (show)? They were with Rickon, Meera, Osha and Meera's brother... After that, Bran told Rickon that when He warged into SUmmer, he saw Jon, but he escaped... Then he told Osha to bring Rickon to the Umbers because they were their father's most loyal bannerman... So I guess it was Summer and Shaggydog... 

Yes, I recalled that later but by then, the conversation had swifted and wouldn't make much sense to go back. I stand corrected.

First of all, I am quite dissatisfied with the way the show handles Ghost.  We see dragons ALL THE TIME but Ghost isn't there even for the KoTN scene, where he would have been a perfect addition to the White Wolf name.

In the books, the direwolves had a close connection to each of the Stark children and I began to think of them as daemons (Pullman, The Golden Compass).  Daemons, as written by Pullman, were animal manifestations of the real or inner self of a character.  But the GoT books also showed the reader a tighter connection between some, like Jon and Ghost as opposed to Sansa and Lady.  And the warging in the book was done mainly by Bran, Jon, and Arya, as I remember.  

I would argue that the 3 most remarkable Stark children had/have a tight and reflective relationship with their DW. Summer died saving Bran, as Bran will save humanity, in all probability. Nymeria is bold and assertive, as Arya is now as an assassin with a plan. Ghost is quiet and reflective, as is Jon.  Maybe the death for the DW marks when the Stark child has reached their full potential.  Bran is now the 3ER.  Arya and Jon are still on their way to becoming, so their DW is still at their side.  I for one hope we never lose Ghost.

14 hours ago, lakin1013 said:

First of all, I am quite dissatisfied with the way the show handles Ghost.  We see dragons ALL THE TIME but Ghost isn't there even for the KoTN scene, where he would have been a perfect addition to the White Wolf name.

In the books, the direwolves had a close connection to each of the Stark children and I began to think of them as daemons (Pullman, The Golden Compass).  Daemons, as written by Pullman, were animal manifestations of the real or inner self of a character.  But the GoT books also showed the reader a tighter connection between some, like Jon and Ghost as opposed to Sansa and Lady.  And the warging in the book was done mainly by Bran, Jon, and Arya, as I remember.  

I would argue that the 3 most remarkable Stark children had/have a tight and reflective relationship with their DW. Summer died saving Bran, as Bran will save humanity, in all probability. Nymeria is bold and assertive, as Arya is now as an assassin with a plan. Ghost is quiet and reflective, as is Jon.  Maybe the death for the DW marks when the Stark child has reached their full potential.  Bran is now the 3ER.  Arya and Jon are still on their way to becoming, so their DW is still at their side.  I for one hope we never lose Ghost.

Perhaps you could view the death or disappearance of the Direwolves as representing the Stark children shifting in character? Doesn't really work for Robb but I would argue he doesn't significantly change in character, Lady dies when Sansa first starts to see that her princess fantasy is just that, Nymeria is a bit less obvious but you could leave when Ayra starts to become more vengeful, Summer dies when Bran becomes the 3ER.

One direction they could maybe take Nymeria is to have Ayra meet her but be rejected by her showing Ayra's shift towards a vengeful nature, then potentially when Ayra has redeemed herself(maybe stopping a Cersei wildfire plot for the greater good not revenge and making peace with the Hound) have Nymeria accept her again?

• 11 months later...

Jon is the only person with the blood of both North (ice) and South (fire).  This will be made clear when everyone sees that he not only has a direwolf (an animal that has not been seen south of the Wall in ages), but also when he becomes a dragonrider (another animal from South of the Wall thought to be extinct).  Together the Starks and Dany will unite all of Westeros to defeat the WWs.

Archived