prequel novellas

• 4 weeks later...
On 02/07/2016 at 8:36 PM, Queen of Winter said:

Do pick them up if you can, they're very enjoyable. Personally, the third book is my favorite.

On 01/07/2016 at 10:01 PM, dornishdragon said:

Bear in mind that the prequel series begins 90 years ago so the connection with the asoiaf books isn't that great. But overall is really good specially the first and third books. 

On 28/06/2016 at 7:02 AM, Philzilla said:

publication order

The Hedge Knight

The Sworn Sword

The Mystery Knight

Thank you for your help

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

In addition to the Dunk and Egg stories, of course, there are two other novellas GRRM has written. The Princess and the Queen is a history of the Dance of the Dragons, as written in-universe by the archmaester that serves as GRRM's mouthpiece in The World of Ice and Fire. The second is The Rogue Prince and focuses on the life of Prince Daemon Targaryen, the self-proclaimed King of the Stepstones and the Narrow Sea.

Neither of these are available for purchase individually, however, or as a collected work together, the way A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms republished the first three D&E stories together. TPATQ is available only in an anthology called Dangerous Women, and TRP is available only in an anthology called Rogues. I'm currently reading the first one and it's well worth reading.

On 22-10-2016 at 6:21 PM, psychogobstopper said:

In addition to the Dunk and Egg stories, of course, there are two other novellas GRRM has written. The Princess and the Queen is a history of the Dance of the Dragons, as written in-universe by the archmaester that serves as GRRM's mouthpiece in The World of Ice and Fire. The second is The Rogue Prince and focuses on the life of Prince Daemon Targaryen, the self-proclaimed King of the Stepstones and the Narrow Sea.

Neither of these are available for purchase individually, however, or as a collected work together, the way A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms republished the first three D&E stories together. TPATQ is available only in an anthology called Dangerous Women, and TRP is available only in an anthology called Rogues. I'm currently reading the first one and it's well worth reading.

In addition to this, it is worth mentioning that chronologically, The Rogue Prince occurs before The Princess and the Queen. In fact, the last day described in TRP is the first day described in TPATQ.

Both of these stories are historical pieces as written by Archmaester Gyldayn, as opposed to the main series, which is written from the point-of-view from multiple characters, and the Dunk & Egg tales, which are written from Duncan's point of view. Gyldayn's book, called Fire and Blood, is a history book about the reigns of several Targaryen Kings, Aegon V being the last covered if I'm recalling it correctly. GRRM plans to publish Fire and Blood some time after the main series has been finished.

Fire and Blood's style can be compared to The World of Ice and Fire, a history book about Westeros and the lands further east written from the POV of maester Yandel. Fire and Blood, however, has thusfar been stated to primarily deal about the Targaryens. Yandel does quote Gyldayn from time to time in his book, including a large portion describing Aegon's Conquest.

TPATQ, and to lesser extend TRP, however, are not Gyldayn's full accounts. Both have been trimmed down for publication in their anthologies, and especially in TPATQ it can be noticed.

That said, both of those stories are a great read, and The World of Ice and Fire as well, so I'd recommend them all!

Archived