Dragons vs. WW (who NEED an ice dragon)

There have been rumors of an ice dragon,but if there isn't one, doesn't the battle become VERY lopsided? 3 dragons vs an army of the dead that can be defeated by fire? I picture the  dragons flying over the WW's and roasting them by the thousands until they are gone. The WW don't seem to have anti-aircraft capabilities. Also, if Dany's dragons can do this unimpeded  then the need for obsidian becomes reduced by a few factors. The books (maybe tv as well) talk of spiders as big as hounds and maybe they'll have some undead mammoths, but as it stands: No Ice Dragon = very anticlimactic ending.

Do we know that the dragons will be able to beat the WWs though? They can set the waights on fire, sure, and that seems to do the trick. We've seen a few scenes where the WWs just straight ignore/walk through fire though (Hardhome, for example). We don't know if dragon fire is different; we assume so, but we don't know it. It's very possible the dragons will have absolutely no effect on the WW, which is why Valyrian steel and the human element will matter. 

1 hour ago, Rumy Stark said:

Do we know that the dragons will be able to beat the WWs though? They can set the waights on fire, sure, and that seems to do the trick. We've seen a few scenes where the WWs just straight ignore/walk through fire though (Hardhome, for example). We don't know if dragon fire is different; we assume so, but we don't know it. It's very possible the dragons will have absolutely no effect on the WW, which is why Valyrian steel and the human element will matter. 

Valyrian steel forged with dragonfire kills WW. What is special about valyrian steel from other steel is that it was forged with dragonfire, other than that it is ordinary steel.It meens that dragonfire is not normal fire but magical fire. Normal steel doesn't kill WW but valyrian steel does. So it seems that dragonfire being able to kill WW.

16 minutes ago, thor2006 said:

Valyrian steel forged with dragonfire kills WW. What is special about valyrian steel from other steel is that it was forged with dragonfire, other than that it is ordinary steel.It meens that dragonfire is not normal fire but magical fire. Normal steel doesn't kill WW but valyrian steel does. So it seems that dragonfire being able to kill WW.

Oooooh goood point!

The Night King seems pretty powerful. I imagine they find a way to kill off the 2 smaller dragons with magic. I doubt it's gonna be just flying over and killing with ease plus by the time the dragons arrive the dead army should be at least 100,000 strong. Most likely way more. I'd expect the last battles happen in the south so it could be millions

I think that what makes sense is if the WW are immune to dragonfire. If they aren't immune the fight with Dany's dragons would be too easy and while I think they will decimate the wights, the WW are a different matter they will need to be fought with Valyrian steel swords and obsidian spears. That's why I think Jon will be at last as important as Daenerys. An ice dragon could also be a possibilty but I am doubtful of that (but it would be amazing). 

9 hours ago, chasing the dragons said:

There have been rumors of an ice dragon,but if there isn't one, doesn't the battle become VERY lopsided? 3 dragons vs an army of the dead that can be defeated by fire? I picture the  dragons flying over the WW's and roasting them by the thousands until they are gone. The WW don't seem to have anti-aircraft capabilities. Also, if Dany's dragons can do this unimpeded  then the need for obsidian becomes reduced by a few factors. The books (maybe tv as well) talk of spiders as big as hounds and maybe they'll have some undead mammoths, but as it stands: No Ice Dragon = very anticlimactic ending.

The ice dragon is the Night King himself. Just look at his facial structure and the arrangements of horns around his head.

It is entirely possible that he is Rhaegar.

3 hours ago, thor2006 said:

Valyrian steel was forged with magic infused into it. That was it's special quality.

3 hours ago, thor2006 said:

Also the obsidian or dragon glass is also made from dragon fire, it would make little sense that the only 2 things that can destroy a WW would be made from dragon fire but that they would be immune to dragon fire. 

I think that the reason the WW was killed by Jon with Valyrian sword was because the sword was forge with the mix of obsidian, hence its black lines unlike ordinary steel. Dragonfire is very hot unlike the fire they can create in ordinary forge so it can melt obsidian into the steel. After all, exteme heat like what we have in modern industry isn't possible for humans to make in older times.

I'm more positive the dragons will be grounded by the snow storm that accompanied the WW and get butchered like pigs.

11 hours ago, nymeria_2321 said:

Also the obsidian or dragon glass is also made from dragon fire, it would make little sense that the only 2 things that can destroy a WW would be made from dragon fire but that they would be immune to dragon fire. 

Dragonglass is not made by dragon fire, it exists before dragons. Obsidian is real material, it's melted silicium. Valyria steel creation is unknown, if it have those properties only because of dragon fire then Targs would produce valyrian steel. It's forged with spells and blood magic that is reason why they are so special.

The one thing to remember is in some of the novellas it was shown that dragons have struggled in rain, so can you extend that out to cold? No way currently of knowing how they will perform in the winter time. Remember, WW's are only around when freezing temps are present.

12 minutes ago, dbunting said:

The one thing to remember is in some of the novellas it was shown that dragons have struggled in rain, so can you extend that out to cold? No way currently of knowing how they will perform in the winter time. Remember, WW's are only around when freezing temps are present.

I think it's almost confirmed that Dragons don't do so well in the cold.

Archived