Dragons vs. WW (who NEED an ice dragon)

I do not think the dragons will be able to do anything. What do we know of the White Walkers abilities? They cause temperatures to drop so fast and intensely they freeze water instantly. They can raise the dead as wights, unless that is night king specific. The ground shockwave dragon ball z move the night king used at the Three Eyed Ravens Cave. And apparently they can humans into White Walkers if they choose, remember Craster's baby? The White Walkers are an unknown variable.

The dragons on the other hand..fly, breathe fire and appear to have intelligence. So unless the secret to creating Valyrian swords is rediscovered the dragons will be of limited use against the millions of dead. True they will mow down the wights by the score, but eventually they will just get swarmed.

So we have fire breathing, flying lizards against creatures that have weather manipulation, specifically the cold.

The battle against them will be a true test of Dany's mettle as she has gotten by on the threat of her dragons. How will she respond if a White Walker just brushes off dragon fire like it is beneath his contempt?

Again too many variables and unknowns when it comes to the White Walkers. So hard to say.

• 9 months later...

I would imagine dragons will be very effective against the wights, so much so, in fact that it will lead to arrogance and a critical error on the part of the heroes.  I would guess that we will see thousands and perhaps tens of thousands of wights killed, but will end up with either in a trap to have the white walkers kill at least two of the dragons, forcing retreat, or as a trap to get the dragons to take down the wall.  Imagine thousands of wights attacking and climbing the wall, and the dragons strafe and attack over and over again, slowly melting the wall until it eventually cracks and tumbles.  Once they are south of the wall, even three dragons wouldn't likely be enough to stop the rapid spread through the population.

The white white walkers greatest capability on the battlefield is raising the dead. They know this, so I'm sure they'll be aiming to kill a dragon. But does a dead dragon breathe fire? Or will they try to make it like them? Seriously can't wait. It's gonna be awesome no matter what happens. 

On June 28, 2017 at 4:10 PM, olibar said:

I would imagine dragons will be very effective against the wights, so much so, in fact that it will lead to arrogance and a critical error on the part of the heroes.  I would guess that we will see thousands and perhaps tens of thousands of wights killed, but will end up with either in a trap to have the white walkers kill at least two of the dragons, forcing retreat, or as a trap to get the dragons to take down the wall.  Imagine thousands of wights attacking and climbing the wall, and the dragons strafe and attack over and over again, slowly melting the wall until it eventually cracks and tumbles.  Once they are south of the wall, even three dragons wouldn't likely be enough to stop the rapid spread through the population.

Wow, that's a cool idea. And one I haven't heard before.

Archived