Which Season 6 events do you think are book events? (Spoilers)

23 minutes ago, ivosan said:

The show was careful enough not to fully contradict this.  Yes, it led viewers to believe that Melisandre performed the resurrection, however just before Jon opening his eyes, it was Ghost who raised his head.  It was the closest they could stick to the books, without having all the warging stuff.

It is still obvious that Melisandre resurrected Jon. That is the only explanation the show gave.

17 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

The show clearly took Stannis' book plot involving the Boltons and Winterfell, excised him last season (and Roose this season), and then put Jon Snow and Sansa into the structure in his stead. Nothing new happened in that plot this season.

I agree that Jon will eventually have to take over for Stannis, but when exactly that's going to happen remains to be seen. There is a lot of stuff being prepared. We have Hardhome unresolved in the books, the deal with the Iron Bank and the coming sellswords (some most likely will come), the Weeper's imminent attack on the Shadow Tower, and Rickon's return from Skagos.

Jon and Stannis could easily work together for quite some time before the great attack comes. This would even make more sense if Jon comes back damaged and needs considerable time to put himself back together.

Considering that Jon's resurrection will almost certainly have a major effect on him in the books (unlike the show), this could actually happen. I agree that almost the entire Northern plotline of the show this season has been fabricated (it is mostly fanservice at this point.). We have actually not been spoilt for anything in that regard.

23 hours ago, ErasmusF said:

10. Arya will continue to train with the FM, but refuse to kill an innocent. She won't leave on good terms, though. 

Arya's plot was complete crap this season. The book Arya is not only significantly more capable, but also much darker. The House of Black and White are considered the world's most dangerous assassins (that's the reason they are so expensive) and actually happen to live up to that reputation in the books. No way they are going to let an apprentice leave after teaching them their special methods of murder.

There is also the matter of Jaqen H'ghar in the Citadel which the show has cut out.Speaking of which, Sam is also going to be in Oldtown for quite a while to be our POV into the Citadel and it's secrets (and possibly an Ironborn attack on Oldtown too). There is really no reason for him to go to Horn Hill.

I'd actually argue that apart from the origin of Hodor's name and the reveal that the COTF created the WW, book readers have really not been spoilt for much this season. Plot points such as Jon's resurrection, Dany conquering Dothraki, Meereen battle, Boltons' defeat etc. are all going to go down so differently in WOW that it's like watching an fanfiction universe on screen at this point.

23 hours ago, Little Scribe of Naath said:

This is actually what I believed before the Season 5 of the show. I also believed that Shireen's burning would take place at the hands of Melisandre for the resurrection of Jon. However, I am not so sure how things will play out now. From a meta level, I assume that Stannis needs to be removed from the board in some way to make place for Jon Snow (who may become King in the North, what with Robb's will and all in the books). 

Hence my theory that he is set up to be majorly disappointed and isolated (and may do something desperate). I like Stannis as a character though, so I'll be happy if it doesn't happen and he stays around longer :P.

I agree with that, but I imagine it'll happen much later. He's only just hooked up with the Iron Bank and he has some relevance to Dany and the slayer of lies vision, so I can't see him dying quickly (and for my previous reasons I don't see him abandoning the north). I think it's more likely he'll fight the Others for the time, fail (burning Shireen at some point), and then be slain by the real Azor Ahai while Jon picks up what's left of his northern coalition, and that the show just accelerated that to clear the board of characters/plots and all the excess money/screen-time they require.

20 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

Very unlikely in the book setting. Selyse is the one who actually loves Shireen, not Stannis. The Selyse version in the show was a caricature. If Shireen is sacrificed in the books it will be Stannis. And I wonder even whether Mel will urge him or suggest that because the way she is presented in her chapter there is no hint of her wanting to kill Shireen. In fact, there seems to be something brewing with Shireen's greyscale and Patchface in the books that didn't make it into the show but might be of considerable importance in the books.

In the book Selyse is the one who will do anything for Mel. Further, Shireen is not with Stannis in the books. She's with Selyse and Mel. I don't know why you feel the need to assign odds to people's speculations, but you should at least be good at it. None of the other issues you raised preclude Shireen being burned,

Spoiler

Which we know will occur one way or another per D&D commentary. 

The details are show. Not sure whether Jon would hang the traitors. He'd most likely behead them himself as he did behead Slynt. Perhaps he will feed them to Ghost in the books to get a taste of their flesh. He should be very wolf-like when he comes back in the books. One guesses that he'll be less than forgiving with his own murderers. I guess I'd be, too.

I think I speak for the entire forum when I say "What?"

Actually, the vision from the House of the Undying suggests something different. The old crones cleanse themselves in the Womb of the World and then bow to Daenerys. That suggests Dany will bent the dosh khaleen to her will and unite the Dothraki behind her in the process. They are their spiritual leaders and Khal Jhaqo might have been sent to Meereen to bring her back to Vaes Dothrak because they have seen something. We have to keep in mind that Jhaqo and Mago, his bloodrinder, are people who loath Daenerys so there has to be a reason why the hell they just don't kill her then and there.

Drogon will certainly make a very strong impression on the khalasar and Dany might actually return to Vaes Dothrak as its leader.

Maybe there will be no conflict but I see at least some of the Khals needing to be cowed into submission. Whatever the case, we won't see that ridiculous "immune to fire" nonsense. 

Could be. Or the show is just simplifying things. I guess there is a chance that she might come back in time to subdue the Volantenes but there is not really a reason for this. Could be that Tyrion and company break down all the slavers and continue to conquer and subdue the surrounding cities (New Ghis, Bhorash, Mantarys, etc.) in her name.

OK but I think part of Dany's story will be that she is torn between ensuring that Slaver's Bay continues to transition away from slavery, and she will need to be a part of that fight. Tyrion cares about the cause a lot less. He just wants to be back in Casterly Rock. 

Could be. Or not. Why not Iron Emmett?

Oh this one's easy. Because it's MY prediction. 

Definitely not. There is an important plot for him in Oldtown involving Sarella, Pate-Jaqen, and the trouble with the Ironborn, and no reason whatsoever why Sam should visit his mother and sisters. Randyll and Dickon are not likely to return to Horn Hill in the near future.

I don't know where you're coming from on this one. First, I think Randyll is being positioned to want to overthrow the Tyrells. He is going to want to throw in with fAegon, especially if Tommen dies. Second, there are issues to be wrapped up in Old Town, but I don't think Sam becomes a Maester. My thought is that when the Ironborn do show up, Oldtown will be abandoned, and Sarella is going to encourage Sam to beat feet with whatever they can take with them. They will head to Horn Hill. Alternatively, Randyll might be sent to deal with the Ironborn and meet Sam on his way out of Oldtown. Either way, it doesn't look like there will be much time for Sam to become a Maester.  

I doubt we'll get a Bran vision of the Tower of Joy. What good would that do? We already know more or less what transpired there and there are other more interesting aspects to this mystery than some fighting scene. Rhaegar and Lyanna's wedding is a possibility. But one guesses that Howland Reed is going to play a role in the books in this whole context, too. Bran has other stuff to cover.

You may be right. But I also think there is a distinct possibility that HR is a Godot-like character. As a reader we're all waiting for him to show up and tell us what really happened. but the truth won't be so certain or so easy. I think GRRM might be toying with us that HR is going to show up and tell everyone what happened. More likely, Jon will piece it together once he retakes Winterfell. 

Arya has already killed an innocent. Both Dareon and that insurance guy were innocents. Or at least not guilty enough to be murdered by some little girl who doesn't know them. I have great difficulty imagining that she just bonds with some woman and then discovers she doesn't want to be an assassin. She wants to do that in the books. My feeling is that the show just cut most of Arya's storyline to get her back to Westeros now. One actually wonders why the hell she went there in the first place. The Faceless Men and their past isn't important and neither are their plans or those of a client they are working for right now. In the books Arya most likely is going to get involved in something like that. But clearly not in the show.

I do not get where you are coming from with this one. She kills Daeron because he is a Night's Watch deserter, which was like, Chapter 2 in the books. C'mon. If you're trolling, you'll need to do better than that, sweetie. The insurance guy was a crook. What we do know is that she still hasn't given up her Stark identity. She hides Needle and has wolf dreams. The book foreshadows her returning to the North, and dying there. I doubt the FM are going to send her back there. So.... 

Perhaps eventually. Or not. In the books this is a longterm plan for next spring, not some plan in the middle of winter where the Vale men would most likely all die of cold and starvation.

Well it's been foreshadowed. So something get's LF off his a$$. Or perhaps Sansa manipulates him through Sweetrobin. 

3 hours ago, Little Scribe of Naath said:

Arya's plot was complete crap this season. The book Arya is not only significantly more capable, but also much darker. The House of Black and White are considered the world's most dangerous assassins (that's the reason they are so expensive) and actually happen to live up to that reputation in the books. No way they are going to let an apprentice leave after teaching them their special methods of murder.

There is also the matter of Jaqen H'ghar in the Citadel which the show has cut out.Speaking of which, Sam is also going to be in Oldtown for quite a while to be our POV into the Citadel and it's secrets (and possibly an Ironborn attack on Oldtown too). There is really no reason for him to go to Horn Hill.

I'd actually argue that apart from the origin of Hodor's name and the reveal that the COTF created the WW, book readers have really not been spoilt for much this season. Plot points such as Jon's resurrection, Dany conquering Dothraki, Meereen battle, Boltons' defeat etc. are all going to go down so differently in WOW that it's like watching an fanfiction universe on screen at this point.

I agree the FM aren't going to let Arya go scot-free. But they also aren't totally magical like they are in the show. So I think she escapes (makes a deal for safe passage on a ship) and they essentially put a bounty on her. They will end up killing her, but much later in the story, after she's had an opportunity to use her skills. 

As I said earlier, I don't think Sam can be in Oldtown long. He needs to be back in the North, and the Ironborn attack is just what will make everything possible. He's not being accepted into the Citadel. He won't be a Maester. Somehow Sam ends up with Heartsbane, it's been too heavily foreshadowed. 

I agree a lot of this stuff will happen differently. But a lot of what has to happen is a bit obvious at this point.  

1 hour ago, ErasmusF said:

As I said earlier, I don't think Sam can be in Oldtown long. He needs to be back in the North, and the Ironborn attack is just what will make everything possible. He's not being accepted into the Citadel. He won't be a Maester. Somehow Sam ends up with Heartsbane, it's been too heavily foreshadowed. 

I agree a lot of this stuff will happen differently. But a lot of what has to happen is a bit obvious at this point.  

Definitely he won't be a maester.  How many years would it take Sam to complete a maester chain anyway?

1. Jon comes back to life

2. Tirion makes a contact with dragon(s)

3. Hodor dies

4. Bloodraven dies

5. Benjen meets Bran and Meera

6. Ramsey kills Roose and pregnant Walda

7. Dany comes back after meeting Dotraki with a kalassar

8. Tommen commits suicide

9. Bran can alter the past through his telepathic connection with wierwood

10. White walkers has the human origin, have been created by Children of forest

@ErasmusF

1. D&D talked about their version of Shireen's death and that included Stannis sacrificing her. What makes you believe George has told them that Selyse would do that in the books? You cannot really cite the fact that Stannis is dead in the show now because he won't die the way he did in the books, that much is clear.

And George also told us last year on his NAB that he has not yet written 'that scene' (Shireen's death), so there is every chance that Stannis and she are reunited and he finally sacrifices her for some reason. The show scene was mostly nonsensical crap but the one tidbit that seems genuine is Stannis breaking in the process of that deed. He was a dead man walking thereafter and Dillane got that across in the end. I think we can expect a similar thing in the books, Selyse's suicide included. Unlike in the show Selyse will be opposed to this madness from the start and she'll kill herself when Stannis does it.

2. We know that skinchangers who spent too much time in an animal became beast-like and savage. Jon might spend weeks or even months in Ghost depending when they figure out how reunite body and spirit, so it is easily imaginable that the person we meet again is mentally more wolf than man. And wolves kill other people and devour raw meet. Jon Snow could therefore easily enough feed his murderers to Ghost and skinchange into Ghost while he is devouring him. He would have been with Ghost doing similar things for quite some time at this point.

3. Tyrion isn't in charge of Dany's army. Not to mention that he needs more than the Second Sons to return to Westeros. He can only do whatever he wants to do with the entire army.

4. Tarly is in no position to overthrow the Tyrells. He is in KL at Mace's side with a lot of men that are Mace's men. Even if Mace dies there are Mace's sons, uncles, and cousins to consider. Not sure what makes you think that Tarly would want to join Aegon. The man is right now pretty much at the top of the food chain. And he can rule the kingdom at the side of Mace considering that Tommen is nothing but a puppet.

Sam could easily become a maester. Jaqen-Pate has made himself some links between the Prologue and the last Samwell chapter, and Sam is already a very knowledgeable guy. He might be able to make his first links during his first week at the Citadel.

I'm not saying that Sam and his father will never meet each other, of course. It seems pretty likely that they do. But most likely not at Horn Hill and not soon.

5. Howland Reed will show up in the story eventually. George has said as much. And he is also important because the guys with Robb's last will are with him.

6. Dareon and the insurance guy were somewhat dirty but it wasn't Arya's place to murder them for that. Arya isn't the Lord of Winterfell nor the avenger of all people who lost some money. And murdering the insurance guy is actually not helping anyone, no? Certainly not the people he crossed.

I know that the Needle part will come into play, but what's obvious in the books is that the back story of the Faceless Men in itself will become important, not to mention their political interests. If Arya just leaves them essentially out of the blue then the whole point of her stay in Braavos will have had no purpose whatsoever. I mean, what was the point of her Braavos story in the show? She already knew how to fight (or they could have made it so that she knew how to fight). It is much more likely that George will actually have her become a Faceless Girl and then get her back into the main story via some sort of assassination mission. And perhaps she'll decide that she won't murder her target (say, if it is Dany).

The show cutting that plot would explain this weird development. The Arya we know from the books would never bond with or care about a stupid actress.

Jon is ressurected by Melissandre, although in a more complex way

Hodor dies in the cave, holding the door 

Tyrion has some connection with Viserion 

Daenerys marries Khal Jhaqo gaining the support of his khalasar, then it reaches Meereen with the Dothraki and Drogon helping her retaking the city (together with the Ironborn on the see) 

Ramsay poisons a pregnant Fat Walda 

White Walkers origin is revealed, as in the show they were created by the Children of the Forest 

Cersei sets King Landing on fire killing Tommen, Loras, Lancel in the flames (will happen in the next episode) 

Jon becomes King in the North 

26 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

@ErasmusF

I know that the Needle part will come into play, but what's obvious in the books is that the back story of the Faceless Men in itself will become important, not to mention their political interests. If Arya just leaves them essentially out of the blue then the whole point of her stay in Braavos will have had no purpose whatsoever. I mean, what was the point of her Braavos story in the show? She already knew how to fight (or they could have made it so that she knew how to fight). It is much more likely that George will actually have her become a Faceless Girl and then get her back into the main story via some sort of assassination mission. And perhaps she'll decide that she won't murder her target (say, if it is Dany).

The show cutting that plot would explain this weird development. The Arya we know from the books would never bond with or care about a stupid actress.

It would be a great twist if she was sent to kill, Alayne Stone, not realising that this is actually sister Sansa until she sees her. Obviously someone does know her true identity & wants her dead. Certainly would be an interesting development.

On June 22, 2016 at 2:07 AM, GeorgeIAF said:

It's nice if you really think that, i'm close to saying delusional but there goes nothing. 

Jon Snow going after the Boltons with the Wildlings and help of other Northern Houses and Stannis getting trashed by Ramsay it's almost nailed on to happen in the books. Also Ramsay killing Roose.

Also Sansa going to Winterfell with the Vale army is strongly hinted at in the last chapter extract from TWoW.

Dany's taking of the Khalasar and her sacking of Meereen (after the masters attack it) will also happen in the books, the dragonrider question will surely NOT be solved.

Jaime's taking of the Riverrun will also happen in the books.

Arya getting back to Westeros is nailed on to be in the books.

Bran going out of the Cave and back to the Wall is also a huge possibility.

Cersei going mad and burning down KL, Tommen and Myrcella biting the dust, will also be events that will happen in the books.

Samwell going to Oldtown is almost certain to happen.

What else do you want ? Go back to the nitpicking thread where you belong, here is the place of people who actually enjoy both the show and the books, with their good and bad sides. You people just go on and on and on bashing on the show, but you're the type who will hold on going to the toilet to avoid missing any second of it. A strange lot you are.

Don't hold your breath for fAegon to conquer the IT.

Cersei has ALREADY burned KL in the books, i.e. the Tower of the Hand.

Jaime has ALREADY retaken Riverrun in the books. ("with a trebuchet")

We ALREADY had a character eat his offspring in a pie in the books.

In the books, Sam is ALREADY in Oldtown.

Tommen and Myrcella's deaths were ALREADY prophecied, and Cersei is so batshit crazy about it that it's bound to happen in the books. 

Anyway, I do like this thread, but I think Sansa and Arya's arc are bound to be more complex in the books. Jaime's and Brienne's as well (since they ALREADY are more complex... in the books).  I'm glad that the show took Jon to Hardhome, that's something we didn't get in the books.  I like that the books are different, and I still like the show.  Why should the two be exactly the same? What would be the point in that?

I think Jon, and probably Sansa, will EVENTUALLY unite the North to fight the Great War to Come. 

I bet Dany will EVENTUALLY get some ships and sail to Westeros.  Hopefully someone will tell her about the stuff going on beyond the wall so that the Fire and Ice showdown can take place.  Isn't that where this is bound to be heading?

Shireen Burning.

Jon's resurrection.

Sansa and a Vale army going North 

Ramsay and Roose both dying. 

A 2nd Red Wedding at the Frey's.

Dany winning over the Dothraki.

Hodor = Hold the Door.

Myrcella and Tommen dying.

Cersei burning KL and declaring herself (Mad) Queen.

Jon becoming King in the North.

Tyrion becoming Dany's Hand.  

Dany sailing to Westeros (and hopefully fucking landing!! Not just setting sail in the last scene!)

Off the top of my head, those are big events from the show that I expect to happen in Winds.  I might have missed some even.  

The path GRRM takes to reach these events will be different (more logical, nuanced and generally intelligent) obviously, but the end result will be roughly the same.  For instance, I don't think Arya will have anything to do with the 2nd Red Wedding, nor will Roose and Ramsay die in the same way in the books, but they will die somehow.  I also don't think Tommen commits suicide, but he will die somehow.

Events in season 7 that will probably happen in the books.

-Jon leads an army against the Bolton's. Vale makes the save (Sansa will compel the Vale to come, she just will have done it in the Vale). Jon is named King in the North.

-Jon is resurrected. Probably done in a more complicated manner involving Ghost. But he doesn't stay dead.

-Rickon probably dies. As a Stark he is either going to be too important in the books to be killed like that OR he is just going to die. I take the latter.

-Cersie burns KL and people die, Jamie will eventually turn on her.

-Tommen and Myrcella die, just in different ways.

-After the Euron and Aegon plots are dealt with.... Dany will gain Dorne and the Iron Islands as allies.

-Dany will also take control of the Dothraki. Maybe her dragons will help her instead of a fire. But the endgame has to be them joining up with her.

-R+L=J 

-The Children created the Others

-Hold the Door

-Tyrion becomes Dany's hand

On 6/22/2016 at 0:50 PM, Lord Varys said:

You can state your opinion, too, I guess. I'm not standing with a gun behind you and try to prevent you...

You've also used conjecture in the past to prove your points. Such as how you believe Bloodraven sent Jamie a vision of Brienne in the third book, when never once does Bloodraven even mention this. This could very easily just have been a figment of Jamie's contentious, like most dreams in the series are.

As for the the topic

1) Hodor's name

2) Jon's return from the dead and who his parents really are

3) Roose and Ramsay will die (probably by Stannis though)

4) Bran's cave will be under attack at some point

5) The creation of the Others.

6) Dany getting control of the Dothraki

7) Tyrion becomes Dany's hand

8) The Vale helps the North, (probably not how it was done on the show though)

I'm somehow doubt any of the specifics of this season will play out in the books.  Yes, I know D&D "know" what happens in tWoW, but they knew what happened in ASOS, AFFC and ADWG also, and that didn't stop them from making wholesale changes.

However, I think some general big picture things will likely happen.

- Jon is resurrected.  Somehow.

- Ramsey is killed in Winterfell (after Stannis' forces gain entry under false pretenses).  I just don't think Jon or Sansa will be anywhere close when it happens.

- Dany gets her fleet and heads to Westeros.  At this point, its hard to say if Tyrion will be able to get the Second Sons on board with switching sides in time for him to join Dany, but even if he does, I highly doubt he will have the influence over her as he does in the show.

Everything else this season is so far off from where ADWG left off, I can't see it happening.

3 hours ago, Little Scribe of Naath said:

*Tinfoil hat*

Jon said that the White Walkers bring the storm. Night's King =  Euron confirmed for books? :P

In seriousness however, @Lord Varys, your theory that Euron might ally with Cersei just got a big boost in tonight's episode.

Not yet watched that one but I've begun thinking into that direction because unless we get Euron+Cersei in the show there was no reason to introduce Euron at all. We won't get him attack places of the Reach the show hasn't yet introduced and now Theon and Asha have already brought Dany the ships. What the hell do they Euron use for in the show?

Not that this bearded guy has any resemblance with 

3 hours ago, sifth said:

You've also used conjecture in the past to prove your points. Such as how you believe Bloodraven sent Jamie a vision of Brienne in the third book, when never once does Bloodraven even mention this. This could very easily just have been a figment of Jamie's contentious, like most dreams in the series are.

Sure, but the example you cite is actually backed by circumstantial evidence. We have Jaime sleeping on a weirwood stump and we have Jaime having both hands again in this mundane dream but only one in those apparent 'special dream'.

One could perhaps argue that Jaime has special dreams for no reason at all but the idea that the weirwood stump dream had nothing to do with Bloodraven (or Bran, if he can reach through time) is pretty far-fetched.

A lot of them but not exactly as they happened in the show.

Tommen dying

Obviously, Jon is ressurected

Jon becomes King in the North

Daenerys with Tyrion as important advisor returning to Westeros along with Dothraki warriors and  Ironborn ships

Sansa gets mixed up with the north and its politics

Bran leaves that cave

Cersei might blow the sept as in the show. She is definetly blowing up something in Kingslanding, maybe it will be a bigger catastrophe than what happened in the show.

Ramsay kills Roose and Fat Walda and his brother.

Ramsay dies.

Season 6 stuff only - 

1. Arya rejecting the faceless men, returning home and killing the Freys.

2. Dany uniting the Khalasar, destroying the besieging Slaver army, taking over their fleet, and setting sail to Westeros, with...

3. VictYaraion going rogue and joining forces with Dany on his own in opposition to Euron.

4. Tyrion ending up as hand of the Queen.

5. Hold the door

6. R + L = A(J) vision

7. Rickon dying, Jon defeats Ramsay in battle or otherwise, crowned King in the North.

8. Cersei burns the sept with all in it, Tommen killed (not sure if suicide).

9. Jon resurrected by Melisandre, but in a much more dramatic fashion, in sync with R + L reveal.

6 hours ago, Little Scribe of Naath said:

In seriousness however, @Lord Varys, your theory that Euron might ally with Cersei just got a big boost in tonight's episode.

After watching, I do not necessarily see that in regards to the show. But I guess it could be - she might even decide to offer herself in marriage to Euron, making him king consort at her side.

I mean, the guy has to have some purpose in the story as has the huge armada he is supposedly building right now. With news being conveniently wherever the hell it has to be we should assume that both Cersei and Euron will learn that Theon/Asha have allied themselves with Daenerys and are on their way to Westeros. So there could be easily enough the need for such an alliance. Cersei and Euron would have both more than enough reason to stop Dany and her guys while they are still at sea.

And such a Euron-Cersei alliance could also pave the way for the *sudden twist* of show Jaime also murdering Cersei as he is going to do in the books, most likely. I mean, now they are in the position to finally marry each other but will most likely not go through with it (either because TV Cersei or TV Jaime don't want to).

Archived