How Big will Drogon get?

X-Nemesis

I think Aegon The Conqueror's dragon (whose name I can't remember) was one of the biggest ever and was big enough to fit a whole horse in his jaw. Drogon isn't tooooooooo far off of that right now so I think he's maybe 2/3 of his potential size? Unless he will end up being the biggest ever, in which case I have no idea. Haha. 

16 hours ago, Rumy Stark said:

I think Aegon The Conqueror's dragon (whose name I can't remember) was one of the biggest ever and was big enough to fit a whole horse in his jaw. Drogon isn't tooooooooo far off of that right now so I think he's maybe 2/3 of his potential size? Unless he will end up being the biggest ever, in which case I have no idea. Haha. 

it is said that Balerion the black dread could swallow a mammoth whole.

I think the dragons of ASoIaF are meant to grow throughout their lives...so it's really just a matter of how long they live.  Also, I think their growth can be stunted or slowed if they are held in captivity.  But Balerion died at about 200 years of age and look how massive he was.  They seem to grow pretty fast!

I have heard in the books they continue to grow throughout their entire lives. But this is the show. One of the directors said in a clip on their Youtube channel that they're soon fully grown. Because it would obviously cost too much. Expect them to be their biggest in season 7.

• 2 months later...

My memory is that it is said that dragons will continue to grow so long as they have food and room to roam.

I really don't think the show is going to follow that very closely, though.  I believe I recall one of the show runners saying the dragons are now almost "fully grown" as of the end of Season 6.

Also, note that when we saw all three of them in Episode 609, The Battle of the Bastards, when they destroyed the fleets at Meereen, the dragons all looked the same size to me, which didn't seem right , cuz Drogon has been roaming, eating and growing MUCH more than the other two dragons over the last two seasons.

This leads me to believe the show is not tracking stuff like "relative growth of dragons depending on how much freedom and food they have had" very closely, if at all.

Or did I miss something?  Does anyone else have an opinion about the comparative size of the dragons in the last two episodes of Season 6?

The dragons will be exactly as big as the plot demands. :P

Personally, I think Drogon is as big as he'll get.  Any bigger and Dany will look pretty ridiculous trying to ride him.  And he's already big enough to be extremely useful in battle. 

If they will have riders, the other two might eventually catch up in size (up to about 80-90% of his size at most).  Otherwise if they are just "wingmen" for Drogon to the end, they are probably full size too.  

Every season the dragons double in size. In season 6 Drogon had a 120ft wingspan. The others aren't as big because they weren't free to roam. If that growth continued Drogon would have a 480ft wingspan by the end of season 8. I doubt that they'll take Drogon over a 250ft wingspan. The other 2 I'd guess at 200ft (although I'm not expecting to see all 3 dragons make it to season 8).

However they are approximate figures.

8 hours ago, Cron said:

Also, note that when we saw all three of them in Episode 609, The Battle of the Bastards, when they destroyed the fleets at Meereen, the dragons all looked the same size to me, which didn't seem right , cuz Drogon has been roaming, eating and growing MUCH more than the other two dragons over the last two seasons.

From the overhead shot when dragons joined Drogon, it seemed they are notably smaller.

6 hours ago, Runaway Penguin said:

From the overhead shot when dragons joined Drogon, it seemed they are notably smaller.

Oh, were they?

Fair enough, i didn't catch that, I'll have to watch carefully for that next time, seriously.

I was trying to look for their sizes, but maybe I got confused about how far away each one was.

6 hours ago, NorthernXY said:

How did they find enough meat to feed the huge dragons?

Good question, I've assumed the dragons were just feeding off the land, flocks and herds of wild animals.

It's also possible that, being magical, they might not eat as much every day proportionally to their size as humans do, but I dunno.

14 minutes ago, Cron said:

Oh, were they?

Fair enough, i didn't catch that, I'll have to watch carefully for that next time, seriously.

I was trying to look for their sizes, but maybe I got confused about how far away each one was.

That is why the overhead shot is the best - same distance etc., though they are not in the same frame. 
Hah, in a split second they actually were there! So here is Drogon and one of the other dragons above Mereen. I woul say Drogon is clearly much bigger.

http://imgur.com/a/XuWbu

7 hours ago, Runaway Penguin said:

That is why the overhead shot is the best - same distance etc., though they are not in the same frame. 
Hah, in a split second they actually were there! So here is Drogon and one of the other dragons above Mereen. I woul say Drogon is clearly much bigger.

http://imgur.com/a/XuWbu

Well I'm glad to hear that, serously, cuz it's much more realistic.

If I recall correctly, the information about dragons continuing to grow is not just in the books, but rather, I strongly believe it's in the show as well.

Archived