Group E & F match 3: Iceland/Austria, Hungary/Portugal, Italy/Ireland, Sweden/Belgium

It all wraps up here today to set the round of 16. I would really like to see Iceland get in. They are my favorite underdog team.

Edited to say that I really missed the breakfast games this week here in the United States. Going to the pubs early in the morning and getting a European breakfast while watching the 8am match is one of my favorite things about this tournament. It looks like we have two left coming up this weekend.

I think Sweden will probably lose, but I've been wrong before. Once or twice...

Italy vs Ireland might draw, Italy can't go through with 9 points, it's against the laws of nature.

I'm not making any predictions for group F, since that one has been a major clusterfuck from the beginning. I hope for the Hungarians and Icelanders to win because it would be funny. Austria was really arrogant before the tournament, thinking that they were the best team of the world now or something, just because they beat Moldavia and the like in the qualification. If you look at their group now, it's actually not that impressive to get 28 points against those teams. I think they were undeservedly hyped and would love to see them lose. I'm sort of neutral on Portugal, but it would be exciting to see a major football-super-power go home after the group stage because it would justify raising the field to 24 teams.

Edit: Mainly I really fell in love with both Hungry and Iceland and am rooting for them going forward.

If Belgium can't beat a mediocre Sweden side then they don't deserve to qualify and Wilmots should get the boot. Think Belgium will dominate this game and hopefully they can get an early goal or two. The longer Sweden can keep the score at 0-0 the better chance they have of sneaking a win as this Belgium side looks like they are easily frustrated. Hopefully Wilmots names an unchanged lineup.

I'm going for Portugal to beat Hungary and win the group and Austria to beat Iceland and go through as one of the four best third placed sides. The Italians aren't going to change their tactics regardless of the opponent so I expect them to get the job done against Ireland.

I wonder what the Hungarians are thinking right now. Considering their game, they could stifle Portugal just like the other two teams did. But the Hungarians are probably already considering who do they want to play in the round of 16. 

A first place will more than likely pit them against Belgium (unless they have a bad day against Sweden). 2nd place against England. 3rd place against Croatia, but this scenario will only happen if Iceland brings the hammer down on Austria.

It may be a good idea for them to rest some players, because looking at the teams they may encounter, it won't make much of a difference.

Watching these games, despite my earlier predictions, I find myself rooting for Hungary and Iceland. I really, really hope that Hungary hold on for at least a point and Iceland wins. Portugal are rubbish and Austria are dogshit.

1 minute ago, Gylfi Gylfi Gylfi said:

Fucking mental! Best game of the tournament. Unfortunately that means the mighty Iceland are now playing the mighty England. I might have to ditch Gylfi and the boys and go back to my real team.

That's not how it works!

Archived