Knockout stage round of 16 (Full discusion)

So, the table is set, and the matches are lined up. Since there will be no matches for a little while, we might as well discuss this stage as a whole for a couple of days.

Switzerland - Poland

Wales - N. Ireland

Croatia - Portugal

France - Ireland

Germany - Slovakia

Hungary -Belgium

Italy - Spain

England - Iceland

Thanks to Notone for making this post in today's thread

Switzerland - Poland, Italy - Spain and possibly Croatia - Portugal look like the closest games on paper, although that's giving Portugal the benefit of the doubt. Croatia will go into the match as favourites based on tournament form.

Other than that, anything other than Wales, France, Germany, Belgium and England wins would be upsets. Hungary might fancy their chances against a Belgium that has yet to really get into gear.

Croatia-Portugal could be a cracker, with Modric back. Very similar teams, in some ways, from countries that aren't giants like Germany but are traditionally overachievers who like to play good football. Croatia have the better results so far but Portugal might be coming back into form. Will watch, for sure. (I mean, I'll probably watch all of them that I can. But I'll make a special effort not to miss this one.)

Switzerland-Poland also seems likely to be close, but a duller affair.

France-Ireland should be the usual story of plucky underdogs working hard and getting beaten by a better team from a bigger nation, as should England-Iceland and Germany-Slovakia.

Wales-N Ireland could be the same, on paper, but has the added factors of Wales not being a big country themselves and the British Isles rivalry. The atmosphere, at least, should be electric.

Hungary-Belgium has the biggest chance of an upset, IMO. Belgium should win... but will they? I'm not sure. Too many of their admittedly excellent players just look unhappy and out of sorts. Looking forward to this one.

My predictions:

Switzerland - Poland - a draw, probably 0-0 or 1-1, Poland wins in the decider or in penalties;

Wales - N. Ireland - close match, Wales goes through;

Croatia - Portugal - if nothing unexpected happens, like Ronaldo starting to love team cooperation, it would be a comfortable win for Croatia;

France - Ireland - boring game with just one goal deciding, probably late in the match. France through;

Germany - Slovakia - I wouldn't be totally surprised by an upset here, but I guess Germany's iron consequence would prevail in the end (of courze!!!);

Hungary -Belgium - there's potential for another entertaining match here, but I think Belgium wins this one;

Italy - Spain - it can go either way. Depends on who's able to force his style of play upon whom. If I had to guess, I'd say Spain;

England - Iceland - another chance of upset. Iceland really looks solid here. Perhaps a draw and penalties.

So, this is where the tournament really starts.

Switzerland vs Poland: Will probably be tight with very few goals. I don't know how the Swiss are supposed to score, they haven't been very good at that for ... well, really, they've never been that great at scoring. But defensively, I think they're good enough to frustrate the Polish, they only received that very harsh penalty so far. This could end in a Penalty Shootout, where I would give Switzerland the edge because they have Sommer. And they have a couple of people who can actually score penalties, not like 2006.

Croatia vs Portugal: These are two candidates for a spot in the finals. I think Portugal will do better now that the group stage is over and Croatia has been doing great. This could end up being a very fun game with lots of goals, because neither one of them is defensively stable.

Wales vs Northern Ireland: Northern Ireland is just going to be outclassed here.

Hungry vs Belgium: Hungry has been a particularly annoying opponent so far. Belgium on the other hand seem to have their feet under them now, the momentum is definitely on their side. But they also need lots of space for their attacking players to use their skills, and I don't think the Hungarians are going to give them any room to maneuver. Hungry will try to choke Belgium just like they did with Austria and are always ready for a surprise counter attack. I think this is a lot more open than it should be, but Belgium is probably still going to come out on top in the overtime or something like that.

Germany vs SlovakiaGermany will win.

Italia vs Spain: I think the Italians have been great so far, yesterday was really typical, they didn't care about the game and they played accordingly. For me, they are still the major favourites for the title if they manage to get through this next match. The Spanish are a tough opponent, though. I think that their last game was a misshap and they're going to play much better this time. Italy still has to evenge the 2012 Finals, they didn't deserve to lose that high. I'm hoping for Italy to win here. Whoever wins though, it's a loose-loose situation for the Germans, because these two teams screwed them over in the last 4 out of 5 major tournaments, so going by past results, the winner of this match should get to the semi-finals.

France vs Ireland: This will be the most lopsided match of the knockout-stage, if not the tournament.

England vs Iceland: England has been doing okayish, they just need to finally learn how to score goals. If they can, Iceland should be beatable. But if the public votes to leave the Euros today, England would obviously have to do that.

• Switzerland - Poland - I haven't paid that close attention to either of these teams, but from what little I've seen and/or read, I'd say that Poland is in a bit of an advantage and is more likely to advance.
  • Wales - N. Ireland - anything other than a comfortable win for Wales (2 goals margin at least) would surprise me, indeed. I'm hoping for an open match with quite a few goal-scoring opportunities and if N. Ireland proves me wrong on this one, I won't be that bothered.
  • Croatia - Portugal - From everything we've seen in the tournament so far, it seems that Croatia will not have serious problems sending Portugal home. Croatia has impressed so far but I have a feeling that CRonaldo might just get back to his goalscoring ways after scoring that brace against Hungary so I'm going to go with the gut feeling.
  • France - Ireland - Ireland just don't seem to me to have the quality to beat one of Europe's best teams that also happens to be the host of the tournament. I'd like to see Irish get revenge for Henry's handball from a few years ago but it doesn't seem likely.
  • Germany - Slovakia - World champions should have little problems with Slovakian side.
  • Hungary - Belgium - Hungary has really impressed me so far, and I'm not saying that only because I drew them in this board Euro game. Advancing from the group without defeat, scoring 3 goals against Portugal in the process is no mean feat. That being said, Belgium has improved significantly since their opening loss against Italy and are likely to put a few goals past one of the two most pleasant surprises of the tournament.
  • Italy - Spain - It's a shame to see these two teams meet this early. It would make a splendid finals, let alone round of 16 matchup. Italy has really impressed me with their win over Belgium in the opening match. They are just so good at cancelling out their opponents' strengths.
  • England - Iceland - Iceland and Hungary are the heroes of this tournament, no doubt. Still, I'm not sure they will have what it takes to knock out a team made up of more experienced players. The only way I can see Iceland knocking England out is if they manage to make it to the penalty shoot-out.

Switzerland - Poland: Tough to call. Both sides have capable teams. I go with my gut feeling and say Switzerland, because I think they have more depth in their squad.

Wales - N. Ireland: Wales. 

Croatia - Portugal: Croatia. Ever after the Euros in '04 has become less and less impressive. They have their one super star upfront and that's about it. I like Croatia's depth more. 

France - Ireland: Frace.

Germany - Slovakia: Germany. The World Cup winners were far from impressive, but they have thus far conceded 0 goals in the tournament, I don't see how the Slovaks will beat them.

Hungary -Belgium: Belgium. Just the overall quality will prevail.

Italy - Spain: Spain. I stick with my winner prediction.

England - Iceland: I really don't know. I have said it so often, but I am really not impressed in any way by the Three Lions. But I really don't think Iceland has played brilliant football either. I see Iceland parking the bus, and watch England trying to get something going and try to hit them on a counter. Whoever scores first will probably win this. Hart will win this, thus Iceland advances. :)

Switzerland vs Poland: Both teams cruised through the group stages looking like they had more to offer if necessary. I'd say Poland are the more likely to be able to find that form 

Wales vs N. Ireland: Wales should have too much.

Croatia vs Portugal: Croatia have been the best side so far, but the side that dominates the groups has a tendency to go straight out in the knockouts at the Euros. Hopefully that won't happen this time.

France vs Ireland: Nice easy draw for France against the weakest side to make it through.

Germany vs Slovakia: Should be a good opportunity for Germany to get into goalscoring form. Keep Hamsik and Weiss quiet and the Slovakians will pose little danger. It is time for Götze to be dropped.

Hungary vs Belgium: If Wilmots doesn't ruin it for them, then Belgium.

Italy vs Spain: The Italian defence has the best chance of stopping the Spanish attack, but I doubt they have enough going forward. Spain favourites, but could go either way.

England vs Iceland: Iceland were celebrating like they'd won the tournament yesterday, so they may find it difficult to get back in the right frame of mind to play again. Although England have struggled to break weaker sides down they have been unlucky - in the majority of cases they would have beaten both Russia and Slovakia from the accumulation of half chances despite the lack of clear cut ones. England should win, but the longer Iceland can hold out the more likely it is that the English belief they will find a way through will drop.

14 hours ago, Criston of House Shapper said:

Well, let's be real here, two of those goals were just dumb luck.

Be that as it may, the fact remains they scored 3 goals against Portugal. Teams with much better individuals than Hungary have not been able to achieve that, luck or not.

22 hours ago, Emre Mor-mont said:

France-Ireland should be the usual story of plucky underdogs working hard and getting beaten by a better team from a bigger nation, as should England-Iceland and Germany-Slovakia.

I don't think you could call England "plucky underdogs".

:P

Switzerland - Poland - this one is tough, but Poland has the edge, I think. I didn't watch either team's last match, but from what I say, Poland is more solid in the defense (though the Swiss have Sommer), and more dangerous in the attack.

Croatia - Portugal - short of Croatia getting sabotaged again by their own fans, I can't see them losing to Portugal; they are much better in the midfield

Wales - Northern Ireland - this one is tough, too, but in the end the Irish will buckle under the Welsh's attacking prowess.

Hungary - Belgium - same as above; Hungary is well organized, and can produce an upset here; but I'm betting the Red Devils will get their collective talent working more smoothly this time, and win (could also go to penalties, but my money is still on Belgium)

Germany - Slovakia - something weird would have to happen here for Germany to lose this match

Italy - Spain - so the Italians showed they don't have that much depth in their last match; but the Spanish showed that their game no longer impresses the strong teams; if Italy plays like they did against Belgium, they should win.

France - Ireland - there can be an upset here, the Irish fighting spirit is tough; but France is at home, and the cynic in me is saying that no way France is losing this match; but really, I don't want the Irish fans to head home just yet

England - Iceland - like Belgium, if England can get their act together they should break the stout Icelandic defense; but this is another great group of fans that I would hate to see go home. 

Archived