Westeros's answer to Dany's dragons (Possible Spoilers)

The Lash

14 minutes ago, TheBreastplateStretcher said:

I think you guy may be missing the wild card here. Blood Raven tells bran "you'll never walk again, but you will fly." Who's to say he may be THE weapon to take out or control one or more of them.

no?

Like your user name, lol, is this an alt?

What about dragon glass?  Do we assume that dragon glass is / was made by dragon fire?  If it can take out a ww could it also take out a dragon?

Have no idea about this, but it crossed my wee mind. :)

35 minutes ago, Zorral said:

What about dragon glass?  Do we assume that dragon glass is / was made by dragon fire?  If it can take out a ww could it also take out a dragon?

Have no idea about this, but it crossed my wee mind. :)

I think they call it obsidian in both the books and show.  I would assume it is regular old volcanic obsidian formed in the fiery heart of volcanoes.  There are rumors of a lot being at Dragonstone, but so far, no one has checked it out.  As of now, the stockpile is so ridiculously small it might as well be non existent.

Westeros had an answer to the dragons from the very beginning - scorpions. Meraxes was killed by a bolt through the eye.

That would be sheer luck though, so they don't have a lot of good options other than numbers. They would need to change their battle tactics to account for the dragons.

• 2 months later...
On 6/22/2016 at 10:55 PM, The Lash said:

Poison and Ballistae. (Maybe Scorpions, whichever fires the big iron or steel bolts)

A lot of people on the forum are under the impression that Dany is unstoppable.  I am throwing the BS flag on this.  There is an answer to every problem, you just have find the solution.  I have posted my thoughts and ideas on other threads about her army, its makeup, and how to deal with them.  But one guy said the only thing Westeros does not have an answer for is her dragons (Sorry to not give you credit, you deserve it, by far, but my mobile kind of sucks right now). That got me to think pretty hard about this, there has to be a solution, and the dragons have to be vulnerable to something.

I remember the shot of Drogon roaring.  You can clearly see the two circular glands on either side of the mouth (which they straight out stole from Reign of Fire), that i will assume mix two different chemicals to produce dragon fire.  This just screams of true biological process.  Which means, they are not comprised of magic, but are vulnerable just like any living entity ever.

I would start making the ballistae and scorpions immediately. I would have every available maester acquire or make all the quick acting poisons that are easiest to produce in adequate quantities, reguardless if they are deadly or not.  As long as they have the capacity to seriously impair a dragon, (even theoretically).You send the poison with your armies and to key strategic locations to coat bolts, arrows, and spears for battle. 

From the shot of Drogon and the other dragons burning the ships, I am going to say the max range they can spit fire is at most 75 yards.  A distance that can be easily matched or even doubled by the ranged weapons of the time.

I am in no way saying that Westeros should concentrate on Dany and not the WW invasion, we all want the WW to go down amd have the heros be heros, the good die young and blah blah blah blah .....you get the picture.

I am just tired of people thinking there is no answer to this.   And am playing Devil's Advocate.For now, the best real time solution is something like this.  Westeros will not be a cakewalk for Dany, nor should it be.  

Let me have it folks.

Great post, I read it all with interest.

You raise a lot of fascinating possibilities.  So far, we haven't seen (to my memory) anything close to the kind of heavy artillery you're talking about in the World of Ice and Fire, but of course that doesn't mean we won't.  Having said that, luckily for Dany, the person who is by far the most likely to build such things is already on her side (Tyrion)

I suppose you could be right about Westeros not being a cakewalk for Dany, but actually I think it kind of will be.   Cersei is WAY outnumbered (she is now basically surrounded enemies who are all more powerful than her, and some are far more powerful), and I've got a feeling Dany's dragons, which DO have a magical element, are gonna be a lot tougher than you may think   Indeed, Aegon conquered nearly all of Westeros with 3 dragons, pretty easily as I understand it, and none of them died.

I think Cersei is going to get crushed, and I don't believe Jon and Dany will EVER have any serious military conflict between them anyway.

I think the dragons will continue to roll until they finally face the WW/Others, at which time MAYBE one will die.  How will the WW/Others do it?  Can't say for sure, but I don't think Dany and the dragons are gonna roll over the WW/Others.  I'd say the Ice Dragon (or "Dragons") is/are a very ral possibility, though.  A very real possibility.

Archived