NBA Offseason: The Draft, Free Agency and Trade Rumors Oh My!

Mr. Chatywin et al.

49 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

I don't know, he still seemed to be a huge piece. As both Jaime L and Calibander mentioned, he was huge on defense. I really felt like he and Adams were at the core of holding the Warriors down defensively, and that was why they pushed them so hard.   

He did have a significant impact on the OKC-GS series, but he's also been declining over the last two years. And from what I've read it sounds like the Thunder like playing KD at the 4. I guess we'll see how it plays out next year. 

I didn't see ever game of the OKC/GS series but it seemed to be like that Robeson hommie was playing some sick D, and didn't sulk when no one passed him the ball in the 4th. Pretty sure Ibaka is more replaceable than a 2 guard who plays insane defense. 

18 minutes ago, Relic said:

I didn't see ever game of the OKC/GS series but it seemed to be like that Robeson hommie was playing some sick D, and didn't sulk when no one passed him the ball in the 4th. Pretty sure Ibaka is more replaceable than a 2 guard who plays insane defense. 

Roberson did play some really solid D, outside of a couple of breakdowns, but doesn't he play SG?    

1 hour ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Robeson did play some really D, outside of a couple of breakdowns, but doesn't he play SG?    

i thought they had him at the 4 at times. or at the 3. he is 6/7, Ibaka is 6'10, so yeah, def undersized. 

Yeah, I guess they could slide him to 3 if KD is playing the 4. 

Russ, Deep-O, Roberson, Durant, Adams....

Do you like a lineup with Ibaka at 4, swapping Depot with Waiters, and moving Durant down to the 3 better? 

1 minute ago, Relic said:

Do you like a lineup with Ibaka at 4, swapping Depot with Waiters, and moving Durant down to the 3 better? 

If Durant continues to improve his defense, that first lineup you listed could be really nasty. And you figure Roberson can only improve his offense. Yeah, I could see that first lineup potentially trumping the Ibaka lineup.

If Durant continues to improve his defense, that first lineup you listed could be really nasty. And you figure Roberson can only improve his offense. Yeah, I could see that first lineup potentially trumping the Ibaka lineup.

It really does have potential. In many ways its a perfect counter to GS....

And you have to figure OKC is pretty sure Durant is coming back (if only for a year, atm) to have made this trade.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

He did have a significant impact on the OKC-GS series, but he's also been declining over the last two years. And from what I've read it sounds like the Thunder like playing KD at the 4. I guess we'll see how it plays out next year. 

Yeah, Golden State has driven big men to the bench across the league. OKC and Cleveland only played them so tough by becoming them. 

In the league going forward, Durant's value is maximized as a 4 (and awesome rim protection by him in the Conference Finals) and Lebron may even be a 5 going forward. Him or Tristan Thompson anyway. The more elite athleticism and range you can get at the 4 or 5 without completely punting on rim protection and rebounding has like an exponential effect up and down your lineup. 

36 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Roberson is amazing defensively (7' wingspan on a 6'7" guy!) but if he doesn't become a better shooter you can't play him in the clutch. He murdered OKC's spacing down the stretch and played total hot potato whenever he got the ball. He's like a taller Tony Allen and I don't think Tony Allen can start for a contender in today's game. 

9 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

Roberson is amazing defensively (7' wingspan on a 6'7" guy!) but if he doesn't become a better shooter you can't play him in the clutch. He murdered OKC's spacing down the stretch and played total hot potato whenever he got the ball. He's like a taller Tony Allen and I don't think Tony Allen can start for a contender in today's game. 

Yeah, I could see how that could be a problem. I guess this was his 3rd season in the league, so maybe his potential upside has been determined at this point.

So I'm gathering you don't like this trade? I'm not really familiar enough with Oladipo's game to have a strong opinion. 

16 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

Yeah, Golden State has driven big men to the bench across the league. OKC and Cleveland only played them so tough by becoming them. 

In the league going forward, Durant's value is maximized as a 4 (and awesome rim protection by him in the Conference Finals) and Lebron may even be a 5 going forward. Him or Tristan Thompson anyway. The more elite athleticism and range you can get at the 4 or 5 without completely punting on rim protection and rebounding has like an exponential effect up and down your lineup. 

Yep, totally agree with all of this. I think TT will play the 5 though. James uses him like Paul uses Jordan. It's really fun to watch (also another reason why I want the Clippers super team to happen, CP3 and LBJ would make Jordan unguardable). 

1 hour ago, Relic said:

That's the projected starting line up. And when you include Kanter, Waiters and this new rookie they got this team is looking pretty solid. 

12 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Yep, totally agree with all of this. I think TT will play the 5 though. James uses him like Paul uses Jordan. It's really fun to watch (also another reason why I want the Clippers super team to happen, CP3 and LBJ would make Jordan unguardable). 

LeBron loves athletic bigs who can catch lob passes for dunks and cut to the rim.  Thompson will likely continue starting simply because his game is one that LeBron's passing meshes perfectly with.  LeBron gets the most out of Thompson.  And he may not be back, but Delly is great at setting Thompson up for lobs too.

7 minutes ago, briantw said:

LeBron loves athletic bigs who can catch lob passes for dunks and cut to the rim.  Thompson will likely continue starting simply because his game is one that LeBron's passing meshes perfectly with.  LeBron gets the most out of Thompson.

Yep. His game is very similar to Adams Imo. Defend the paint, rebound like a wild man and dunk. And this is why I don't think Love fits with the team unless he's cool being a super sub of the bench (and I don't think he will. Everything I've seen and read indicates he needs to start and have the offense run through him to maximize what he can do). I doubt they trade Love, but they could have last night to Boston for a nice package. Oh well. 

7 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Yep. His game is very similar to Adams Imo. Defend the paint, rebound like a wild man and dunk. And this is why I don't think Love fits with the team unless he's cool being a super sub of the bench (and I don't think he will. Everything I've seen and read indicates he needs to start and have the offense run through him to maximize what he can do). I doubt they trade Love, but they could have last night to Boston for a nice package. Oh well. 

Eh...all Boston really has though is role-players, and I'm of the school of thought that you never trade a dollar for four quarters in the NBA.  It basically never works out for the team losing the star.  Love is a star player in the NBA, capable of being one of the twenty best players in the league on his own team.  You don't trade that guy for Boston's pupu platter.  

Plus, there is literally no pressure on the Cavs right now to make a deal.  They just won a title!  They can roll into next season with the same roster and no one is going to complain, and this time around they'll actually have a full offseason with their new coach to tweak the offense to cater to their personnel better.  Remember, Lue took over the team mid-year, and it's unlikely that he made any major adjustments to the system simply because you can't really do that successfully halfway through the season.

4 minutes ago, briantw said:

Eh...all Boston really has though is role-players, and I'm of the school of thought that you never trade a dollar for four quarters in the NBA.  It basically never works out for the team losing the star.  Love is a star player in the NBA, capable of being one of the twenty best players in the league on his own team.  You don't trade that guy for Boston's pupu platter.  

Plus, there is literally no pressure on the Cavs right now to make a deal.  They just won a title!  They can roll into next season with the same roster and no one is going to complain, and this time around they'll actually have a full offseason with their new coach to tweak the offense to cater to their personnel better.  Remember, Lue took over the team mid-year, and it's unlikely that he made any major adjustments to the system simply because you can't really do that successfully halfway through the season.

Just to get it out of the way I completely agree with your second paragraph. They certainly didn't have to. I just think they should have at the very least seen what they could have gotten for him.

That said, I agree in a vacuum you should never trade an all-star for some role players. But this team can afford to because they have the best player in the world and a top 5 PG. Depth would really help this team, as they could afford to rest a lot of their key players at different points in the season. And Boston has a ton of guys they'd be willing to give up. Imagine if you got a good backup big and guard plus the third pick. Use the third pick to get Buddy and bam, LBJ has a stud catch and shoot threat out on the wing. Maybe they could have gotten Crowder too. A starting 5 of Kyrie, Buddy, Crowder, James and TT would be pretty damn good Imo. 

6 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Again, I don't know enough about Oladipo to have an opinion, but I see a fair amount of Magic fans calling him overrated on teh intrawebs today. 

IIRC, he's an athletic, undersized 2 guard who is a great defender, pretty good at attacking the rim and a below average, but not terrible, 3 point shooter. 

The key here is he is someone the opposing defense has to at least respect, which was not true of Serge anymore for the most part. The Thunder's starting 5 had 2 players you didn't have to worry about that much, and now in theory it's just one. The key is can Adams be an elite rim protector. If yes, this trade is great for the Thunder. If not, well, they need to score a lot. 

Also, don't forget this was a player for player swap. They also got a pair of bigs. The vet is an OK off the bench role player and the rookie is very similar to a young Steven Adams. 

Archived