Joffrey VS. Ramsay

Maude Tyrell

We've seen the horrific death of Joffrey Baratheon and Ramsay Bolton, the two characters we loved to hate. Whose death was more satisfying, Joffrey's or Ramsay's? If given the chance, would you change how they died or just leave it as it is?

• 3 weeks later...

I really thought Ramsay's death was justified. I love playing the lines my head. It was just perfect.

Ramsay "My hounds will never harm me"

Sansa "You haven't feed them for seven days you said so yourself"

Ramsay "They're loyal"

Sansa "They were now they're starving" Mwahhaaaa!

Joffery's death was really random. Yes he got what he deserved but I wished it could have been more vengeful considering what an awful person he was.

I miss Joffrey as a character, I've felt since he left the show it's lost a bit of something that made it special. Ramsey was more despicable( only just )as a person and slighty more hated. But not as enjoyable to watch as i found humour in how pathetic Joffrey was aswell as hating him.

Ramsey was just creepy and pure evil.

Joffrey was pure evil as well as being spoiled, pathetic, a mommies boy, creepy, out of his depth...

So more satisfying was ramsey, more memorable was joffreys.

I think what made Joffrey so real was that he was very identifiable.  He was that punk kid we all pretty much know growing up, who has too much priveledge, and too  much authority to abuse.  He is awful, and you can also see scenes where he has insecurities, that push him to deeper nastiness.  It's much more real and believable as a villain.  Ramsey was so evil, that it wasn't as relatable, and therefore not as menacing in the same way.  Literally every time I saw Ramsey this season, I would think, what is the worst thing someone could do here, and I would announce it out loud, and pretty much, that was what he did (killing his father, killing baby and walda, etc).  I wasn't surprised or emotionally affected by him in any way.  Joffrey still gets to me when I rewatch.  It might be that he was played by a netter actor, but I personally think that Ramsey was over the top evil, while Joffrey was able to walk the line.

I can't really explain why but Ramsay's death wasn't satisfying for me at all. It should've, it had everything I wanted: a Stark doing it, poetic justice, gore, (cute dogs!). And yet, it fell flat for me. I guess it's because Ramsay was such an annoying, lame character in the books and the show. By this season I was so sick of his shit that I just him to die, I didn't care how. So I think his death was more like a relief and less like catharsis. It felt like checking something off a list, like it happened because it had to happen and everyone wanted it to happen, whereas Joffrey's felt like a more natural or integrated part of the story.

Also, it was too quick. And I don't mean just the actual death (tho it was) but his downfall in general. Before Jon Snow smashed his face with that shield, Ramsay had suffered virtually no setbacks. No one had come even close to laying a finger on him. At least Joffrey got bitch slapped several times and got shit thrown at his face. Ramsay went from being the most sadistic Gary Stu of television to dog chow in the span of 5 minutes. And he even kept killing your faves till the very end (R.I.P. Wun Wun) So yeah, there was no time to savor his defeat. 

The ideal death for Ramsay for me would've been like this: He tries to snatch Walda's baby from her grasp, but she, in the tradition of embattled housewives since time immemorial, takes a rolling pin and brains him with it, then escapes. Ramsay lays down on the floor, almost lobotomized, and that's how Ghost finds him and eats him alive. 

On 7/12/2016 at 8:39 AM, StoneColdJorahMormont said:

I miss Joffrey as a character, I've felt since he left the show it's lost a bit of something that made it special. Ramsey was more despicable( only just )as a person and slighty more hated. But not as enjoyable to watch as i found humour in how pathetic Joffrey was aswell as hating him.

Ramsey was just creepy and pure evil.

Joffrey was pure evil as well as being spoiled, pathetic, a mommies boy, creepy, out of his depth...

So more satisfying was ramsey, more memorable was joffreys.

I agree Ramsey was literally psycho. I mean he hunt down people for sport, cut off Theon's penis and not to mention psychologically and physically scarring him for life. Joffery was cruel also but I agree he was more fun to watch because he was such an idiot and thought he was more of a bad ass than what he actually was.

I dont know. I think Ramsay was more satisfying...the group I usually watch with hooted and hollered way more for his death than Joff. Joff was sort of a boring poison death and wasnt done by a Stark. Ramsay was so evil and got his in Winterfell at the hands of his dogs and the Starks. 

Iwan played such a badass, psycho villain...just his eyes alone...yeah man, was fun to watch.

This is sort of a 2 part answer for me. As for which character I preferred to see die, it was definitely Joffrey. Joff was a very identifiable villain. I had a Joffrey in my life as a kid, no doubt many have, it made him extremely relatable and hatable. Him dying was like exorcising a personal demon. Ramsay was the opposite. It was almost like hearing about Jeffrey Dahmer dying in prison. He was pure evil and utterly detestable, a true monster, yet it's hard to wrap my head around his crimes, I just can't relate. It made his passing far less personal. necessary for sure, but not personal.

The other side is the manner of their death, on this count I much preferred Ramsay's. The trouble with Joffrey's death is that in general, poisoning just seems like a weak way to kill someone, plus we have the dishonesty of Tyrion getting framed for it. I've stopped reading books in the past just because they turned out to be a 'frame job' kind of crime, it just seems weasely. Again, Ramsay was the opposite. With both Jon and Sansa (let's face it, this death had a phase 1 & phase 2) it was very personal and satisfying. "Hi Ramsay, I'm going to kill you now, not this guy or that guy.. me.. and I'm gonna look you in the eye when I do it." As nice as it was to see Sansa dispatch her tormentor it was the Jon portion of Ramsay's death that i enjoyed more. With Jon, there's no weapon, no deception, it's just straight forward, skin on skin, raw physicality, punch after punch, I'm going to crush you now and there's nothing you can do about it. You can just feel the emotional release as Jon pummels Ramsay beyond any point of need. There's an honesty to it, an accountability that struck a cord with me.

• 1 month later...

I miss Joffrey as a character.  And in some ways his death was a little upsetting for me.  Yes, I know he was evil and had he lived he would have only gotten worse but watching him die (and reading about it) I kept thinking "this was, at his heart, just a young boy, maybe a victim of the really horrible parenting skills of both of his parents".  I liked what they Arya tell the actress playing Cersei about what she should feel, not just sadness but anger as well.  As for Ramsay well, he terrified me.  He wasn't anyone's victim and all through the series no one had laid a glove on him until Jon did.  Ramsay's manner of death was poetic justice as well. 

Archived