Is there a military solution to the WW doom?

I do not think that mankind can defeat the WW with swords, or even dragons.  I believe all efforts to do so will escalate the conflict and it will just get far worse for humanity.  Remember, George RR Martin is a huge pacifist, and has written plenty of stories where an anti-war message is the central theme.

So....

How does mankind begin the negotiations with the Night's King to find a peace both sides can live with?  Surely the CotF are able to communicate with the WW.  It is entirely possible that the CotF are still using the WW as a way to kill/defeat humanity, but even if they are not, humans will survive the WW most effectively by bridging the cultural gap that exists between the two cultures. 

Other than the CotF, the ability to warg, or have green dreams and visions seems like a likely key to beginning discussions with these strange, evil seeming creatures.  They do not seem to possess language skills.  I therefore pose the following candidates for beginning negotiations on behalf of humanity.

Bran could be the key, but he is already being heavily influenced by the CotF.  There is no reason to trust or believe that Benjen is still Benjen Stark...so Bran may be compromised to a point where he cannot help.  On the other hand, he does seem to have the most developed ability at this point.

Robin Arryn could be a conduit as well.  He has shown he has "gifts" too....so much so that he must be drugged to avoid seizures in the book. 

Meera Reed seems to lack her brother's gifts, but perhaps she has some ability, and she is in a good location to help or at least help/rescue/counsel Bran.

Arya (book version especially) seems to possess some telepathy and warging ability.  She is headed north now.  Her training over two seasons as a killer seem to be counterproductive to this mission.

Jon Snow, who knows the WW best of any man living, and has at least limited warging, and is in a perfect position to do so.  He also has learned how horrible and destructive war is firsthand.  In fact, he is a reanimated corpse himself!

I don't know if there is one with all the infighting among the houses.  But if I would have been Jeor Mormont, I would have made it a point to capture 4 or 5 of the wights and had people take one to each of the major houses.

"You see this?  There are about a million of them coming for you and your children. Send men to the Wall, NOW."

Then I would just have had the men leave.  And leave the wight there for them to deal with.

Interesting idea. I personally don't think the WW can be negotiated with. I can potentially see that Bran or somebody else with warging/green seeing gifts will find out about the purpose of the others, which could potentially be something other than destroying humanity. It has been hinted at that the others may not be "evil", they may be "misunderstood". So maybe someone will understand them, give them what they want and everybody can live happily ever after. 

I personally would not like to see this happen for several reasons (which I will not list now). I would rather see a si vi pacem para bellum endgame. Since this is Game of Thrones, I'm ready to see everybody die in the final grand battle for life, even though I like to cling to the unrealistic hope that the dragons will defeat the WW and the Targaryen line will be restored one way or the other. In any case, everybody dying is still preferable to the WW are misunderstood, let's all have a peaceful, feminist, religion free picnic - at least in my mind. 

Very good question. If we'll be honest can we really see the seven kingdoms uniting to face the WW threat? Of course not. Everyone just assumes Daenerys will suddenly turn her attention to the WW and let her dragons unleash hell but there has to be more than that. I can't wait to see what's planned and we'll probably see it next season as there are in total only 13 episodes left in the show.

The main problem is: The human "kingdom" is too divided and devasted by internal wars. In this scenario, they're not prepared to face the WW. Only a few people are aware of them, manly the wildings, northerns and what is left of Stannis's supporters. People that have too many enemies in the South, thus making a pact to combat the WW extremely unlikely

1 hour ago, tugela said:

Yes. Flying flamethrowers.

This is all that needs to be said xD

But I am hoping there's more to it than that. 
Like maybe.... all you need to do is kill their king and the rest will be demoralized and go back home for a few more thousand years. 

Or maybe after a certain number of human sacrifices they'll leave? 

The 3 eyed crow seemed to think things rest on Bran's shoulder... but since we still have no idea what the long term goal was to his training maybe we'll never know. 

42 minutes ago, Bluesnow said:

Like maybe.... all you need to do is kill their king and the rest will be demoralized and go back home for a few more thousand years. 

That has been my guess. Ultimately, all of WW/Dead Army seems to be tied to the Night King. I think we'll see massive battles. Then we'll see a one on one battle between Jon Snow (KiTN) and the Night King. Jon will win but be mortally wounded and succumb to his injuries. The Night King is killed and as such, takes the rest of his army with him. Jon goes down in history as the savior of men, KiTN and the son of Rhaegar and Lyanna. Dany takes the throne and rules a newly united Seven Kingdoms.

2 hours ago, King Edd of House Tollet said:

Actually, there knowns ways to fight the WW and their army

Dragonglass and valyrian steel can kill WW

FIre can destroy the wights

It's up to the humans to use this knowledge to defeat the threat

This seems so right coming from Edd :D

10 hours ago, The Lash said:

I don't know if there is one with all the infighting among the houses.  But if I would have been Jeor Mormont, I would have made it a point to capture 4 or 5 of the wights and had people take one to each of the major houses.

"You see this?  There are about a million of them coming for you and your children. Send men to the Wall, NOW."

Then I would just have had the men leave.  And leave the wight there for them to deal with.

Leaving aside the detail Jeor was never in a position to capture four or five wights, in the novels he basically did this. He sent Alliser Thorne to King's Landing with a severed wight hand that was still moving. Tyrion blew him off so long it had decomposed by the time Ser Alliser forced his way into an audience.

14 hours ago, The Lash said:

This is brilliant 

11 hours ago, King Edd of House Tollet said:

Actually, there knowns ways to fight the WW and their army

Dragonglass and valyrian steel can kill WW

FIre can destroy the wights

It's up to the humans to use this knowledge to defeat the threat

This

9 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Oh. My. God.

Robin Arryn is Azor Ahai.

I see him living through the series at least.

7 hours ago, Lord Lannister said:

Leaving aside the detail Jeor was never in a position to capture four or five wights, in the novels he basically did this. He sent Alliser Thorne to King's Landing with a severed wight hand that was still moving. Tyrion blew him off so long it had decomposed by the time Ser Alliser forced his way into an audience.

As Lord Commander I am pretty sure he could have made a position.  And I know about the hand, really wouldn't have made the same impression as a single wight would have.  

They have small amounts of  valyrian steel and dragon glass, and potentially three dragons to fight them.  The steel and dragon glass are not possessed in enough quantities to be a factor really.  Regular fire works, but given the technology, you have to be basically fighting them hand to hand.  That means more deaths, deaths mean more wights.

And when the dragons join, if the army of the undead numbers something like a million, they could kill 300 wights every day and still not kill them all in 20 years.

27 minutes ago, Quyen Thuy Tran said:

Dragon glass and varilyan steel can't fight against the zombie army. They need fire.

In the show they didn't need fire to kill scores of wights with swords & axes in Hardhome. Same for a couple Meera killed in the cave.

Archived