The Drunk Thread: Just Look at the Flowers

A True Kaniggit

Sierra Nevada Celebration is one of the best things about December arriving on the calendar.

I mean, that beer is so good it inspired a couple dudes in the suburbs of Philly to create a beer called Hop Devil, which you've probably heard of if Victory distributes to your area. And, you know, Victory also makes great beer.

While one who sings with his tongue on fire
Gargles in the rat race choir
Bent out of shape from society's pliers
Cares not to come up any higher
But rather get you down in the hole
That he's in.

But I mean no harm nor put fault
On anyone that lives in a vault
But it's alright, Ma, if I can't please him.

Bob Dylan is a national treasure.  Over a decade ago (!) when I was an undergrad in DC I saw him in an arena and the baby boomers in attendance smoked enough to render the place a fire hazard.  This has relevance for what I'm bout to say, but I probably won't circle back to it.  

Whiskey and coke (just the chaser!) means drunken ramblings ensue - I need an outlet and simply writing to myself, while wiser, seems sadder when you're wasted.

The most pressing thing that bothers me right now, sadly, is the general weltschmerz of both friends and family.  This seems to be the way liberals are supposed to react whenever I venture to liberal news sites - red alert on HuffPo, Trump...appoints someone else we hate.  As an institutionalist, of course, I think this is ridiculous.  There is very little capacity for President Trump to accomplish much.  Sure, a 9/11 type crisis changes the game and scares the shit out of me, but as long as his political capital remains limited it's silly to get too worried.  Pretty sure that's right and I'm fine putting it in some type of perpetuity here.  Trump and the legislative arena, at best, is like Harry and the Hendersons.  And not just cuz both need John Lithgow to really work. 

So yeah, long story short, it's annoying that (1) the blame for Trump's election gets directed at me because I study politics and (2) the response of most of my leftist family/friends/colleagues is alarmingly hyperbolic.  When it reaches the point where my dean sends out an email immediately after the election warning us that students may be particularly sensitive at this time and to be sensitive to their needs, that's when even I want to turn in my liberal card.  Seriously?  If Hillary won, is there any chance we'd be treating Trump supporters with such ludicrous sensitivity?  To their credit, I did not have to alter my lecture in any way - from everything I could tell my students were ready to move on.

Selective exposure is a big concept in the curriculum - I teach media and politics.  What is either tragically or deliciously ironic, depending on your perspective, is most of the media itself became subject to it.  The 1 in 4 chance Nate Silver put Trump at was either calmly ignored or viciously attacked by people that don't understand probability distributions, and/or abuse them.  And now I'm placed in a position of defending Nate Silver which is just as surreal as President-Elect Donald Trump.  Dude just runs Monte Carlo simulations with a few controls in his model.  But try explaining that to your leftist mother.

12 hours ago, larrytheimp said:

Drinking rum and coffee because I'm spending the day out in the 20 degree weather trying to get my not working vehicle to work again.  Plus I figure the rum is a pretty good degreaser, in case I accidentally ingest some oil.  Poison control, you can thank me later.

I hoped you packed at least a couple thermoses of rum to keep nearby while you're working friend (the coffee is really optional)... Been there done that changing a busted brake line in my driveway during a blizzard a couple years ago.  The vodka was the only thing that got me through it :)  

On 12/11/2016 at 0:35 AM, DreamSongs said:

I'm freezing in GA.  Whoever put the prizes together should have bought me at least a pint of Jack.

BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Bex, I hear that shit is coming down here and I am NOT PLEASED.  I would like you to SEND IT BACK.

I got the boys a PS4 for Christmas, along with a few games.  Thank gawd I had the foresight to set it up ahead of time when they aren't here (and not on Christmas morning), fuck Sony, and hallelujah for alcohol while I endure this infuriating madness.  That is all. :cheers:

1 of 2 vehicles fully functional.  Took 5 of 12 saranc legacy IPAs to accomplish that.  Hoping these remaining 7 will be enough to get the other one squared away, as it's going to be cold as balls the next couple days here.  

After dropping $95 in parts, discovered the problem was a bad ground.  Check your grounds first people!  Especially on shitty old rusty vehicles!  Ignition switch was grounded to rusty part of the firewall

7 hours ago, larrytheimp said:

1 of 2 vehicles fully functional.  Took 5 of 12 saranc legacy IPAs to accomplish that.  Hoping these remaining 7 will be enough to get the other one squared away, as it's going to be cold as balls the next couple days here.  

After dropping $95 in parts, discovered the problem was a bad ground.  Check your grounds first people!  Especially on shitty old rusty vehicles!  Ignition switch was grounded to rusty part of the firewall

I'm fairly certain there are some very important science experiments being conducted right now. May you finally solve the mystery on how much alcohol it actually takes to fix a vehicle in subprime temperatures without being truly miserable. 

Edit: Yes! I love it when I go to take a shot and someone has already poured my drink for me. 

On December 16, 2016 at 4:38 AM, King Merrett I Frey said:

Haha.

There should be a 'sobering up dudes and gals' thread as well. I've been 3 weeks and 5 days (as of today) sober and it's my second longest time like this in about 10 years.

I won't deny that I need some beers.

Congrats! I really hope you keep it up if you believe it necessary. 

Archived