The Drunk Thread: Just Look at the Flowers

A True Kaniggit

22 hours ago, Meera of Tarth said:

yesterday night I also pretended I had had a couple of drinks again despite still being a teetotaller. Sometimes I wonder if they put something in the Fanta since, despite clearly not being or behaving as drunk, I was asked several times "where to find that Vodka with Fanta" and I didn't feel the need to say "Hey, I know what you mean, but this is not Vodka".

I think I was the only person from a large crowd of young people with zero alcohol rate over there. It's still hard to be desinhibited (or getting rid of my irrational shyness that sometimes prevrnts the extrovert in me being how I am sometimes) witthout the effects alcohol but managed to do my best. Even surprising myself quite a lot. After all when everyone has drunk at least a beverage (or many many more) the pressure decreases.

A part of me kind of wanted to succumb to alcohol a little (even for just a beer which is basically the only alcoholic thing I like drinking...unless I want to deliberately grt drunk and then I could drink anything for that purpose) but I am proud I didn't and I still can consider myself a teetotaller.

My youngest self would have said I am crazy for doing that but still here...am I.

Nobody said it was easy to be shy with strangers while being more extraverted than introverted in nature (as absurd and difficult for some of us the combination still exists) but wihout drinking it goes to a different level.

As someone with a high level of shyness I have not found alcohol to be much help.  I wish I knew what the solution was though. I would pass it on. 

5 hours ago, maarsen said:

As someone with a high level of shyness I have not found alcohol to be much help.  I wish I knew what the solution was though. I would pass it on. 

Hasn't it? Oh sorry, well, in my case it helped in the past back when I used to drink, but I'd not completely recommend people doing it because maybe it's not the healthiest thing in the world and of course it doesn't go to the core of the problem.

What drinking helped me at was at not being "ashamed" of dancing at all, even alone and badly, I'd laugh much more, tell more jokes and be silly in general, also at not caring at all when speaking with strangers or being far way more extraverted and talkative when getting to know new people I was introduced to. Well, what everyone knows.

Then again, I'm a person who opens herself quite quickly to others if I see a willingness, good base and a friendly, extraverted atittude from their part and then I'm not as shy, or well...better said.... at least only at the beginning. Once knowing me people get also surprised.

With people more introverted than me but not particularly very shy it's also easy (normally) as long as I see points in common, although not as much as with the ones who are more extraverted than I. With people who are like me, slightly more extraverted and shy, it's difficult until one of us breaks the ice.

When do problems come? Well, with shy introverts, then it's a little bit more complicated. It's always difficult for me to start a conversation, although it depends on the day. I've made some achievements recently and in the past. Which reminded me that the shyness is completely irrational.

But the HUGE problem comes when it's me who has to do the "hard work", especially if I want to meet new people on my own, without any one else's help; and by help I mean either being introduced or having my friends near me, even if them are not saying anything. or worse...like... when meeting complete strangers. Then that first milestone is so so so  high for me due to the shyness, despite me actualy deeply wanting to, because that's how I am deep inside, and I know. Yeah, this is the worst of the situations, being completely alone and just starting a conversation.

Come to think of it, it was once I had people I trust and I feel comfortable with next to me when I could try to behave "as if drunk" in the sense I'd not care as much of what others may think, and I could "be silly" and joyful, as I am. With even drinking water, that is.

So as a person who is more extraverted if I had to say what I am, the shyness problem has been extremely frustrating and I've also looked for the solution all my life. I personally think that this is too deep in my nature that maybe the only solution is trying to reach small objectives, and of course, looking past at my achievements that prove that anything else is just irrational. Although well, even in that case, it's just difficult sometimes.

After all, in my childhood, I even had to rely on my grandparents every year I returned to their town in summer to play with my friends. Friends I had there with who I played with daily for weeks without any shame at all, on the contrary, but I had not seen them in 10 months, mind you. I had to be "re-introduced". And this was completely irrational.

That's why recently I've kind of pretended to be drinking Vodka+orange when in reality it was only Orange, while tryng to remember how I behaved when I did drink the former, even if just a little. And it has helped.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
50 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

Whoa, that's a crazy coincidence!  It's beer and weed o clock here.  Just did meal prep for next 5 days while blasting music and bopping around the kitchen.  Woohoo!

I l have wound up at a housewarming with nettle gin and bramble gin and dear me how I think I'm a goner. Au revoir me pets, it's been nice knowing you.

/Geordie

• 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

So what does gin actually taste like? Having never tried it, and based off of absolutely no evidence, I imagine....... sprite?

Gin has a range of flavors depending on what brand/type you're drinking. Primarily it has strong herbal notes from the juniper berries it's made from.

@A True Kaniggit You've never had a (dry) Martini (glass of Gin from a bottle standing next to a bottle of Vermouth for no longer than half an hour) ? This may lead to your expulsion from the board ;).

The taste of Gin is defined by the Juniper berry. Think of resin, pineneedles and forest herbs. There are a lot of varieties of Gin, some are close to bitters or herbal liquors, though less sweet. 

Nina Simone - Gin House Blues

I'm thinking of making a Christmas themed Moscow mule for my family this year (my mother virtually never drinks but somehow we've acquired the tradition of me making a very weak drink Christmas morning). 

I've had some really good Moscow Mules, but when I make them they always seem a little underwhelming.  Any recommendations?  I've seen mentions online that you can make them with Gin or Vodka, but I always thought you had to use Vodka, because it's a MOSCOW mule. 

FYI Christmas themed in this case probably just means adding a little cranberry juice and maybe some cranberries for decoration. 

10 hours ago, Maithanet said:

FYI Christmas themed in this case probably just means adding a little cranberry juice and maybe some cranberries for decoration. 

Haha. Me and my brother just had a discussion about what makes something "Christmas themed", sparked by the fact the neighbor put out a whole bunch of decorative dogs. According to my brother these dogs are Christmascy because they have Christmas sweaters on.

So I'm fairly certain I can put out a bunch trolls in the yard, and as long as I hang candy canes and wreaths from them it's OK, because that's Christmas themed.

And I learned about another new type of drink today. Moscow Mule.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/20/2018 at 3:08 PM, Joey Crows said:

Just got some christmasy hot chocolate from work. Now it's time to add the whiskey!

Silly goose. 

You're supposed to pour the whiskey first and then add the christmasy hot chocolate. 

Edit: And it looks like winter has once again missed Louisiana. I'm never gonna get to use this firewood.

Yes, I am intentionally trying to jinx myself so that the temperature will drop low enough for me to start a fire.

• 4 weeks later...

I think I had the best beer of my life last night. Ballast Point’s Sour Wench. It’s a blackberry ale. I’m not sure if it’s an IPA, though that’s largely what the company makes, but it’s stronger than your average beer at 7%. It tastes like a sweet red wine, but with the feeling of your traditional beer.  

Archived