acroPHILIA lucky #13...Rocksniffer's cherry has been popped...and the crowd goes wild! !

rocksniffer

On 8/31/2016 at 9:59 PM, Ser Not Appearing said:

Can you explain this one a bit?

Aeron is a kraken (eight arms) and a priest (his parishioners are his sparrows), and he called a kings moot to consult them.

I do not know why I did not think of Varys first, especially when I included "eight feet" in my own clue for him in the last Acrophobia game :ninja:

Sparrows as a religious meaning is surely greenlander talk, no? I was working under that meaning for ages thinking that the group of eight could mean Meribald and his seven gods. Or the High Sparrow and his seven gods. In the end that seemed to me a clever misdirection, because once I realised its meaning I was certain.

I thought parishioners of the Drowned God's priests were named Drowned Men?

That said, as an interpretation it does sorta work.

2 hours ago, a free shadow said:

Yes, because we can not allow any creative use of similar terms, Seven Drowned Gods forbid :ninja:

The drowned men would be deeply offended by the use of greenlander terminology relating to their religion. They'd hate to be named sparrows. I do think that is a slight flaw in the interpretation.

I did make the below statement.

3 hours ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

That said, as an interpretation it does sorta work.

6 hours ago, Ser Not Appearing said:

Btw, were you right?

Almost. My first guess was the shadow, but when I realized you were playing, too :blush: (you have missed a couple games recently, Ser), I thought hm... another strong candidate.

10 hours ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

The drowned men would be deeply offended by the use of greenlander terminology relating to their religion. They'd hate to be named sparrows.

Yes, because we cannot allow for not respecting presumed wishes of drowned men, who in turn have the greatest respect for the truth and a strong grip on reality :ninja:

10 hours ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

I did make the below statement.

To cover up a bad argument :smug: 

I do not mind to be argued with, but the reason why. If anyone would take a slightest note of this bad argument, the clues in the future would suffer :pirate:

42 minutes ago, Julia H. said:

Almost. My first guess was the shadow, but when I realized you were playing, too :blush: (you have missed a couple games recently, Ser), I thought hm... another strong candidate.

I am sorry, I have not made an adequate clue for thousands of years now. I am not here :ninja: 

3 hours ago, a free shadow said:

I am sorry, I have not made an adequate clue for thousands of years now. I am not here :ninja: 

The Illyrio clue was a great one. Last round (unlike this round, grrrr) I managed to guess most of the answers relatively quickly, the only ones I struggled with were the Varys clue and the Illyrio clue. I solved the Varys clue when I remembered that sparrows were little birds, but I didn't get the "eight legs" reference, yet, I was able to explain it as Varys being a member of a group of eight people (the Small Council) and as Varys appearing as several different people (in disguise). The Illyrio clue was difficult because I kept thinking of a Westerosi lord and of the various Westerosi weddings, even though I knew the theme and I actually had Illyrio on my list as one of Tyrion's "drinking partners". But I also didn't think (for some inexplicable reason) of a literal egg for a long time, and I kept wondering whether the answer would be the lord or the bride. Then one day it suddenly clicked, and everything in the clue fell into place. This is just my favourite type of clue: guessing it requires some time and thinking but when you find the answer, you simply have no doubt that it's correct, and you even wonder how you didn't guess it at once.

3 hours ago, a free shadow said:

Yes, because we cannot allow for not respecting presumed wishes of drowned men, who in turn have the greatest respect for the truth and a strong grip on reality :ninja:

To cover up a bad argument :smug: 

I do not mind to be argued with, but the reason why. If anyone would take a slightest note of this bad argument, the clues in the future would suffer :pirate:

I have to disagree. I would consider it a big flaw in the clue if "sparrows" had been used to reference drowned men. I would think there was a better way of doing it.

Let's say a clue used "drowned men" to reference devout followers of the Seven. Would that be acceptable?

On another note, I have to agree with Julia that your clue was eggscellent :leaving:

Would it be possible to extend till Sunday night (if you thought "No!" reading it, do not hesitate to write it).

On 9/3/2016 at 0:11 PM, Julia H. said:

The Illyrio clue might have been not fully horrible

That is a thing to say, but I do not know how people say thank you, so I do not thank you, thank you very much :pirate:

On 9/3/2016 at 3:12 PM, Dolorous Gabe said:

I have to disagree. I would consider it a big flaw

Only have imagination for flaws :ninja:

yeah :ninja: sunday night is fine. i shall update OP to indicate new deadline....

i am not much for deadlines anyway...my inability to meet them has been proven in every game i have ever played

...and i have the Pebbles-probe scars to back up this claim...

:leer:

page 2  :eek: ....never... :whip:

so here are a few random words...to bump us to our rightful place...and perhaps help y'all out on your quest for debauchery... :cheers:

sweetling...naked women...drinking wine...theme 4...theme 5...all things the 'sniffer enjoys doing/talking about... :leer:

a song to think by...

:pimp:

daily reminder that hints are for sale....and freebies are creatively embedded in thread and PMs...

oh and i am such a tool, i forgot to check for prelims/clues last night, but have done so today...i encourage all who have not sent in a list to do so...to quote trump...aka the orange man with little hands, "what have you got to lose" :leer:

let's see who can figure it out first

:smoking:

mmmm...

Bueller....Bueller...

i have spent today in the oppressive and excessive heat and humidity of the southland...so i am blowing off listing clues and answers til sometime tomorrow...

also i still need lists some of you :whip:

and clues for our final round :whip:

someone has gotten all the answers but not theme so those bonus points are still out there for this round...

random suggestion... spending 1 point to get 3 nets you 2... :idea:

random thought...i have discovered that in every season of the show...episode 8 is my favorite episode... :thumbsup:

:leer:

ROUND 4 CLUES AND ANSWERS

Explanations are mine or the author’s depending on my mood...

ETA: for some reason the formatting i tried to remove from my word processing program made posting these words i had cut and pasted look strange...so i reworded some of the explanations...if you want a different explanation for your clue PM me and i will change it asap...

1. Made abrasive quarrel vehemently terminate. - TYRION LANNISTER

The double meaning of quarrel works to cover both Tyrion's ongoing argument with his father...concerning Tysha... which he vehemently terminated with a quarrel...

2. Son evidences brutality, moony mount’s “rod” eliminator. - SHAGGA, SON OF DOLF

Cutting off your manhood and feeding it to goats seems brutal to me...even for Dolf’s Son, Shagga...Your host’s personal advise - guard your “rod” when crossing through the Mountains of the Moon...

3. Smiling, eager, brash. Murderer, mutilated, regretful. Exiting? - THEON GREYJOY

This clue is a laundry list of adjectives that together are Theon all day long...

4. Sprite embarrasses brother, makes memorable regnal entreaty. - ASHA GREYJOY

This refers to her having flirted with Theon and let him cop a feel when he returned to the Iron Islands, letting him find out later that she was his sister, and to her bid for the Seastone Chair as Balon's heir. No other woman has ever tried to get elected at an Ironborn Kingsmoot.

5. Must avoid Queen. Vulcan’s trainee. GENDRY, BASTARD SON OF ROBERT BARATHEON AND APPRENTICE SMITH...

Nuff said...

6. ‘Mercy acts’ quiescently vaccinate threats. - ARYA STARK

Here the "mercy acts", such as giving mercy to an enemy is the subject which vaccinates (with Needle) the threat of pain ...the words mercy and vaccinate are key to identifying Arya..

7. Sewer escape bodyguard madeth, mad relative evadeth. - BROWN BEN PLUMM

Brown Ben once served as a bodyguard to the uncle of Oznak zo Pahl in Meereen and was forced to escape the city through the sewers after hearing of Oznak (a mad relative of his boss) killing his friend for looking at a woman wrong...

8. Mute appeal quickly vanished. Tree! - DAENERYS STORMBORN TARGARYEN

This clue proved to be the most difficult for many of you...the expression 'mute appeal' is taken from directly from the scene in the HotU when Dany sees the king with a wolf's head that looks at her with "mute appeal" she the runs away quickly and then sees the house in braavos with the red door and the lemon Tree...this distinguishes this scene from the other two mentions of mute appeal.

9. Should enemies bear malice? Members require exercise. - TORMUND GIANTSBANE

Any clue with bears and members can only be Tormund...Har...Har...Har!

10. Snowy “entitled” bastard. Many men rebel, eventually. - LORD COMMANDER JON SNOW

Of course the answer is a northern bastard named Snow, but some wanted this clue to be Ramsay...however sometimes the obvious choice is correct...the double use of entitled points to Jon’s winning a title as well as him being named heir by Robb before his death...for me it also meant jon’s notion that as Ned’s son (in his mind ;) ) he feels he was entitled to more status while growing up...and of course the rebelling men are the members of the NW who give Lord Snow his Julius Caesar moment...eventually...

Vote for your favorite clue until i post the results of this round tomorrow night...

Excellent round y’all i thought the clues all rocked...  

ok i am not going to try and fix that...unknown issues plagued me just now...

if anyone is having trouble reading this i will retype it...but i think i got most of the weirdness out

oh and theme was...

Person above spoke directly to person below about their own or another's cock...rod, member, manhood, penis also got the points... :leer:

Archived