Current (updated) theories about 3 Heads of the Dragon

13 hours ago, Sellsword King said:

I've recently started thinking that Cersei and Jaime are both Targs. There are loads of parallels between Cersei and Aerys: paranoia, madness, obsession with fire. If Cersei is a Targ, so is Jaime. Jaime is my tin foil guess for the third head. It would seem to be a better use of him then trying to fight with only 1 hand. 

Yes, I think they are also. And I think Jamie will make Cersie his Nyssa Nyssa and become a prince that was promised and 1 head of the dragon. I think Dany is obliviously another and Jon is the 3rd.

What I don't think is that these 3 heads of the dragon will work together. I thing they represent 3 opposing forces, or 3 aspects of a destructive prophecy being fulfilled. Like they say the biblical beast has 7 heads. Game of Thrones is the story of an apocalypse. In Greek, of course, an apocalypse is literally a revelation, or transfer of knowledge.

As Qyburn said in this episode, 'before we can usher in the new, the old must be put to rest.'

This is not to say that D&D are telling this story as well now as when they started - but I think it is still on track for an apocalyptic ending, overall.

The dragon head stuff was never part of the show. There is no reason to introduce this concept at all. Perhaps Jon will get to ride a dragon as Dany's consort (which he is obviously going to become - there is no other eligible bachelor left in Westeros Dany could want to marry) but that isn't even necessary. The dragons do Dany's bidding without riders so why the hell should they need riders in the show?

I'm not sure if I believe there will be 3 dragon riders but - if the dragon must have 3 heads, Bran will be one of them.

Bran asks if the raven will help him walk again. The raven answers that Bran will never walk again, but he will fly!!

Jon will likely be the third.

I just can't wrap my head around Tyrion ever being one of them, I don't care what the show has foreshadowed, I'm not buying it!

8 hours ago, Elaflynts said:

I'm not sure if I believe there will be 3 dragon riders but - if the dragon must have 3 heads, Bran will be one of them.

Bran asks if the raven will help him walk again. The raven answers that Bran will never walk again, but he will fly!!

Jon will likely be the third.

I just can't wrap my head around Tyrion ever being one of them, I don't care what the show has foreshadowed, I'm not buying it!

Well, I understand I might be wrong about Tyrion, but here are some points in his favor:

(1)  Loves dragons

(2)  Knows a lot about dragons (which could be very useful, both in battle and in general)

(3)  Is now tight with Dany

(4)  Has met these particular dragons, and actively made an effort to form a bond with them.

(5)  Expert saddle maker (HAR!!!  But true!)

(6)  Because of his very limited fighting abilty and lack of strategic expertise, would be basically useless otherwise in the last battle(s), so it gives him something to do

(7)  Is a fundamentally good person (and is thus a strong candidate to be one of the major heroes at the end)

(8)  Is a very popular character (fans would love it)

(9) Other foreshadowing (e.g., him saying something about how on the back of a dragon even a dwarf can look down on others)

Good stuff here about Bran, but I strongly understood the 3 eyed raven to mean Bran would fly in the sense of warging into birds. (or I guess "skin changing," since I heard "warging" technically includes only a few specific animals, not positive if that's right, though)

You COULD be right about Bran, though.  Tyrion could design a saddle for him, as Tyrion designed a horse saddle for him in AGOT.

On 6/27/2016 at 7:39 AM, Lord Varys said:

The dragon head stuff was never part of the show. There is no reason to introduce this concept at all. Perhaps Jon will get to ride a dragon as Dany's consort (which he is obviously going to become - there is no other eligible bachelor left in Westeros Dany could want to marry) but that isn't even necessary. The dragons do Dany's bidding without riders so why the hell should they need riders in the show?

Good food for thought, especially the part about Jon being basically the only "eligible bachelor" left.

Regarding the need for 3 dragon riders:  Yeah, Dany can control them all when they are all together, but what about 3 battlefronts?  It could be tactically advantageous to split forces for quite a few different reasons (offensively or defensively).

Regarding the show not having introduced the concept:  I hear you, but it seems to me if GRRM has 3 dragon riders then there weill be 3 in the show, whether they've mentioned it or not.  I would think this would be such a major thing from GRRM that the show runners would not change it

Regarding the possibility that the 3 headed dragon is not actually 3 dragon riders:

Could be true.  I've thought about the fact that the 3 headed dragon reference could be a reference to the governmental tri-archy which I believe will be in place at the end (basically, I believe there will be NO single person on the Iron Throne at the end, I believe it will be a 3 person monarchy, or tri-archy, as is HEAVILY foreshadowed in a Tyrion chapter of ADWD, when the very subject of an historical tri-archy is discussed, as I recall.  Why else would this stuff be in the book?  Whimsical political day-dreaming by GRRM?)

11 minutes ago, ground_control said:

Dany, Jon, and Tyrion.  Unburnt, Undead, and Unsober.

7 minutes ago, ground_control said:

Through the Ho Door?

HARRRR!!!

VERY funny, seriously.

If you are not a professional comedian, you might wanna consider it.

I'll not soon forget either of those.

• 3 months later...

I think the three heads of the dragon is book only. Unless I missed something in the show. As much as the show has combined, omitted and utterly changed beyond recognition I think theorizing about who will ride dragons will require a massive shift in the paradigm of the fans.

So here are my three dragon riders:

Dany

Dolorous Edd

Meera Reed

• 1 month later...
On 6/26/2016 at 5:24 PM, Future Null Infinity said:

Sorry but I disagree, in the story, each character have a type and the story will never change a character's type, Jon is a fighter type so maybe he will ride a dragon but not Tyrion, he's not a fighter type, you will never see for example Margaery, Cersei or Sansa take a sword and start fighting like Brienne, the story will never change Jon's type to become like LittleFinger or Roose Bolton

heh... i disagree.  One of Aegon's sisters was not really a fighter, but she was one of the 3 dragonriders during the Conquest.  Thus being a 'fighter' would not matter to becoming a dragonrider.  If you and said dragon bond, off you go. :)

To answer the original question, I think it will be Dany, Jon, and Tyrion.

Maybe Tyrion is a targ, maybe not.  (I lean towards believing that he is).   But I expect him to be a dragonrider.

For off the wall and/or outlandish ... how about Sandor and Bronn as the other 2 dragonriders?:D:blink:

On 27/06/2016 at 1:36 PM, Jon's Queen Consort said:

I keep believing that the 3headed dragon has nothing to do with who will ride Dany's dragons and that Jon is the 3headed dragon.

I agree !

Dany interpreted her vision of "The Dragon has Three heads" as three dragon riders which means that it is very likely not that.

And if I not mistaken, in her vision the line was "The Dragon has Three heads" which may refer to a Targaryen (a dragon) with three identities (Jon Snow/Jon Stark, King in The North/”Jon/Unknown name” Targaryen, the prince who was promised). Even more, and hope it is not far-fetched, I was thinking the three heads might be “three parents” (R&L and Ned). Doesn’t mean that Jon won’t be a dragon rider though.

But mainly, the reason why I don’t really expect/hope for three riders thing is because it would the first obvious literal explanation to the prophecy.

2 hours ago, Blueroses said:

I agree !

Dany interpreted her vision of "The Dragon has Three heads" as three dragon riders which means that it is very likely not that.

And if I not mistaken, in her vision the line was "The Dragon has Three heads" which may refer to a Targaryen (a dragon) with three identities (Jon Snow/Jon Stark, King in The North/”Jon/Unknown name” Targaryen, the prince who was promised). Even more, and hope it is not far-fetched, I was thinking the three heads might be “three parents” (R&L and Ned). Doesn’t mean that Jon won’t be a dragon rider though.

But mainly, the reason why I don’t really expect/hope for three riders thing is because it would the first obvious literal explanation to the prophecy.

You might like this.(It contains spoilers from the books.)

13 hours ago, Blueroses said:

To build on this, 3 identities - Snow/Stark/Targaryan, or 3 titles - Bastard of Winterfell/Lord Commander of the Night's Watch/King in the North.

It's also interesting to me that the Targaryan symbol is a 3 headed dragon, and that we have 3 heroes of legend - Last Hero, AA, Prince that was Promised.

On ‎28‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 3:49 PM, Cron said:

Because of his very limited fighting abilty and lack of strategic expertise, would be basically useless otherwise in the last battle(s), so it gives him something to do

Lack of strategic expertise? He is the one that saved Kingslanding when it was attached by Stannis' forces (please check them memberberries).

Other than that, your arguments make perfect sense. I also believe that Tyrion could be the 3rd rider. Drogon for Dany, Rhaegal for Jon (riding on the dragon named after his father), and Tyrion on the white and gold Viserion.

Archived