[Spoilers] Criticize Without Repercussion - one last time ;o)

9 hours ago, Meera of Tarth said:

Thanks for your insight. I've been commenting on how ridiculous was Arya's ending arc of s6 for months, in the general Rant Thread and other ones, especially when she was perfectly jumping and running after being stabbed (although there could be a "magical" explanation to that), but the Frey Pie thing has caused a lot of controversy. I find it ridiculous that we only get the Walder Frey scene as much shocking as it can be fed to the audience, just because it feels it is needed in that moment, but they don't pay attention to the how she made it, how she went there, how did she disguise as a servant, killed the guys, quartered them without no one noticing it, cooked them disguised again and then returned to kill Walder. That's an example of something that was not necessary.

Instead, they could have shown us how she arrived there (of course, then we wouldn't have had the shocking moment of seeing Arya as another girl) or just the scene killing Walder. Frey Pie thing was just the icing of the cake. And I love Arya and wanted him to die. But this way, just like s5's finae with MT (making her kill him because apart from Syrio's death he was a pedohpile, and with all the blood involved, etc). that's too out of character. But I'd say the Frey Pie is just too much. And you know when you see this that it's just for shocking value. Except for the fact that it doesn't even makes sense on its own. So what's the point of the shocking value then?

Sadly, it's what it is now. I can still enjoy the arcs of certain characters, but it's not the same as it used to be.

Arya's S1-S4 arcs I really loved..and her S5 arc was a little dull but ok too up until the point they had to make Meryn Trant a pedophile. That was a stupid decision. I hate how D&D seem to want to turn this into clear good guys and bad guys, when ASOIAF is about real human characters, who are grey and capable of horrific atrocities but also heroic actions.

I love Maisie Williams portrayal of Arya, yet I hate some of the writing for the character's arc. Most of her season 6 plot was nonsensical and made a mockery of both Arya and the Faceless Men. 

2 hours ago, Gaz0680 said:

Arya's S1-S4 arcs I really loved..and her S5 arc was a little dull but ok too up until the point they had to make Meryn Trant a pedophile. That was a stupid decision. I hate how D&D seem to want to turn this into clear good guys and bad guys, when ASOIAF is about real human characters, who are grey and capable of horrific atrocities but also heroic actions.

I love Maisie Williams portrayal of Arya, yet I hate some of the writing for the character's arc. Most of her season 6 plot was nonsensical and made a mockery of both Arya and the Faceless Men. 

Yes, exactly. The same happened with Stannis' arc and Brienne. Stannis burned her daughter after telling us he is indeed a good father with the hug scene, and, after that, Brienne executes him. So we have the hug scene that only serves to shock the viewers more when the burning happens and Brienne's scene that is to punish the now-turned-bad guy. It's the same thing that happened with Meryn Trant, the good and the bad guys disappear, no greys (like Tyrion also, who is grey in the books and in the show is extremely white).

I love Arya, but I didn't like how they handled the FM arc. I can understand some choices, but not the general view on that. I tried to enjoy the most about that, but it's not the same as it is in the books. Maybe the things I enjoyed the more are the parts when she is being "Lanna" of the Canals (like in the books) and I loved the mummer's arc, but then, it had to end with nonsensical stuff with the stabbings. Then, we have an interesting scene with Lady Crane but the Waif has to appear again. This character couldn't have been more cliche since the start only with the stick stuff. I missed the other ways that are described in the books that are part of Arya's training, such as learning how to be a good spy, learning languages, etc.

• 3 weeks later...
On Invalid Date at 1:56 AM, Meera of Tarth said:

Thanks for your insight. I've been commenting on how ridiculous was Arya's ending arc of s6 for months, in the general Rant Thread and other ones, especially when she was perfectly jumping and running after being stabbed (although there could be a "magical" explanation to that), but the Frey Pie thing has caused a lot of controversy. I find it ridiculous that we only get the Walder Frey scene as much shocking as it can be fed to the audience, just because it feels it is needed in that moment, but they don't pay attention to the how she made it, how she went there, how did she disguise as a servant, killed the guys, quartered them without no one noticing it, cooked them disguised again and then returned to kill Walder. That's an example of something that was not necessary.

Instead, they could have shown us how she arrived there (of course, then we wouldn't have had the shocking moment of seeing Arya as another girl) or just the scene killing Walder. Frey Pie thing was just the icing of the cake. And I love Arya and wanted him to die. But this way, just like s5's finae with MT (making her kill him because apart from Syrio's death he was a pedohpile, and with all the blood involved, etc). that's too out of character. But I'd say the Frey Pie is just too much. And you know when you see this that it's just for shocking value. Except for the fact that it doesn't even makes sense on its own. So what's the point of the shocking value then?

Sadly, it's what it is now. I can still enjoy the arcs of certain characters, but it's not the same as it used to be.

Thanks for your response Meera and apologies for the delay in coming back to you. It's reassuring that at least someone read and digested my rambles, particularly when I've come to the party so late!

I have to agree that it doesn't feel the same. You probably felt the rot sooner but I felt that it really lost something in Series 6. I just seem to become aware of this 'agenda' coming through in what was happening on screen. I'm intrigued for the final two series but they need to offer more character fleshing (and in the case of Jon Snow, not so much diminishing him) and less Sansa. Granted she might be integral to the books but her sullen Resting Bitch Face is just too much.

I didn't like Sansa's arc at all this season and was astounded to discover that she was second in terms of screen time this season, as she didn't seem to do anything much - I would have thought she was between 5th and 7th, which is where she was in season 2-5.

I was right about who got the most screen time: Jon, with ten minutes more than his half-sister.

Archived