Varys????

Ok I know this show plays with time travel but how in the world was Varys with the fleet in that final scene???? We literally saw him in Dorne IN THIS EP.

I am just so confused right now. Why was it even necessary for him to be there? Like why couldn't he have just waited to welcome them in Dorne? I am confused. Can anyone shed any light on this?

That is the only thing that bugged me about this episode.  I was having trouble swallowing him being in Dorne that quickly, it would take months and months for him to get there, but ok.  TV time.

But him being there in that last scene completely ruined the end of a very good episode. Insane.

8 minutes ago, Rumy Stark said:

Ok I know this show plays with time travel but how in the world was Varys with the fleet in that final scene???? We literally saw him in Dorne IN THIS EP.

I am just so confused right now. Why was it even necessary for him to be there? Like why couldn't he have just waited to welcome them in Dorne? I am confused. Can anyone shed any light on this?

I said that as soon as I saw him on the ship! Such BS.... its why I didn't think Arya would kill Walder in the episode until it was obvious when he was sitting there by himself

21 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

As I've said before, For the sake of narrative, I'm willing to assume that scenes are are sometimes shown out of sequence and that the 10 episodes don't take place over 10 consecutive days.

:agree:I really don't get why this is such a difficult thing to accept. 

I have some sympathy for the writers in regards to this episode because they were weaving in so much, but yeah, the whole "teleporting" thing was pretty jarring this time around. People drone on too much about it though, it's not funny as joke anymore. Obviously when we see things on screen in sequence it doesn't necessarily mean they are happening in sequence. The same goes for the passage of time. It may feel like not much time has passed but clearly that's not the case.

For instance, Sam & Gilly arriving in Oldtown, chronologically, probably happened way before the rest of this ep (since no one seems to be bothered about King's Landing). As for Varys at the end, we can infer that months have passed since he left and, in that time, Dany repaired and assembled a much larger fleet and decorated the ships with dragons etc. 

The only problem in regards to timeline I had in this episode was Olenna in Dorne knowing about events in King's Landing while Jaime seemingly knew nothing of it even though he was only in the Riverlands. Perhaps it happened while he was travelling back to KL and that's why? But really, it's a nickpicky point, as are all discussions of "teleporting". It's not much of a big deal in the end.

I have deliberately tried to be vague about such things, so I don’t have obsessive fans with rulers measuring distances on the map and telling me Ned couldn’t get from X to Y in the time I say he did. – GRRM

The timelines between the various storylines don’t necessarily line up within a given episode. For instance, the “Northern Tour” Jon and Sansa embark on would probably take a couple weeks, but Arya’s storyline over the past few episodes only spans a few days. We realized a while ago that if we tied ourselves in knots trying to make all the “story days” line up between all the characters the momentum would suffer. – Bryan Cogman

There are Martell ships in the fleet. It's clear some time has passed between Varys leaving Meereen (before the battle) and going back with Martell ships.

20 minutes ago, TexasDirewolf said:

There were Ships with the Martell flag on them. I'm pretty sure we saw the Sand Snakes on the ships too. It's pretty clear that time has passed between the Mereen scene and the ships ending.

This. The whole episode doesn't take place over a day. That last scene with Dany was clearly weeks later, at least. 

11 minutes ago, Darksky said:

I have deliberately tried to be vague about such things, so I don’t have obsessive fans with rulers measuring distances on the map and telling me Ned couldn’t get from X to Y in the time I say he did. – GRRM

The timelines between the various storylines don’t necessarily line up within a given episode. For instance, the “Northern Tour” Jon and Sansa embark on would probably take a couple weeks, but Arya’s storyline over the past few episodes only spans a few days. We realized a while ago that if we tied ourselves in knots trying to make all the “story days” line up between all the characters the momentum would suffer. – Bryan Cogman

There are Martell ships in the fleet. It's clear some time has passed between Varys leaving Meereen (before the battle) and going back with Martell ships.

Obviously, but it still looked bad the way it was shown. Couldn't they have shown Varys actually return, and inform Dany that he secured alliances with Dorne and Olenna?

This again? Not every scene happens in exact chronological order in relation to scenes in other storylines. The feast at the Twins would obviously have happened well after Riverrun, and who knows how long before Riverrun Arya's Braavos arc ended? It doesn't matter for storylines that are parallel.

If you want to gripe, try explaining how Jaime got back to KL while it was still burning and the fire still hadn't gone out or spread. Easy to explain: he was on his way there before the bomb went off, and they showed the first Twins scene out of chronological order for dramatic effect.

2 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Holy shit.  When you put it like that it actually sounds pretty impressive.  He should be ambassador to the UN or something.

The UN is a non-government organization. You dont seek alliances with the UN, you join it. It has an army, mainly for peace keeping. 

Archived