How did marrying Sansa to Ramsay help Littlefinger achieve his 'one true goal'?

He gained nothing from his brief "alliance" with the Boltons. Even though he managed to get Cersei's approval to attack the Bolton's and become Warden of the North (by marrying Sansa to Ramsay, then using it as proof of the Bolton's betraying the crown), that doesn't count for anything when he immediately declares for Sansa anyways. Was there any point to it at all, or was it just nonsense thrown together by the showrunners to try to hit a book plotline?

1 hour ago, Fox of House McCloud said:

He gained nothing from his brief "alliance" with the Boltons. Even though he managed to get Cersei's approval to attack the Bolton's and become Warden of the North (by marrying Sansa to Ramsay, then using it as proof of the Bolton's betraying the crown), that doesn't count for anything when he immediately declares for Sansa anyways. Was there any point to it at all, or was it just nonsense thrown together by the showrunners to try to hit a book plotline?

Littlefinger really didn't think Sansa would get abused by the Boltons and miscalculated. He was, however, counting on the Boltons committing an act of treason and the Knights of the Vale needing to "rescue" her.

Sigh....I really wish they had just killed LF.  I guess it will keep up "suspense" next season as we wait for LF to inevitably try and screw Jon over, but I don't like it one bit.  Hope the books are different, I don't want to see LF anywhere near Jon Snow.  

His plan was to have Sansa being Warden of the North after taking care of the Boltons. That way he would have the North and the Vale behind him. With the rest of the country pretty much killing each other, he'd have a strong army to take the Iron Throne.

One could argue that it isolated the Boltons and broke down their alliances with the Lannisters,  which left the Boltons more vulnerable to revolt than they otherwise might have been.  This would (and did) create a potential opening to seat Sansa as the Lady of Winterfell and the North if the Boltons fell,  which presumably would have effectively given LF control of both the Vale and the North.  

It didn't because Sansa choose to back Jon. It's pretty clear the one thing LF didn't anticipate was that Sansa would escape. Had she stayed there, he could have just recued her with the Vale army. Installed her in the North and married her as the guy who rescued her. Then he could feign everything and say he gathered his troops and went to rescue her as soon as he found out what Ramsay was doing. LF wasn't anticipating a Sansa and Jon team up.

Otherwise he would have been fine. Even if Sansa died he could take the Vale to Winterfell and Cersie would install him as Warden.

7 minutes ago, Donaldys I Trumpagar said:

For one, he didn't/couldn't foresee Jon bringing a wildling army down to defeat Ramsay.

Regardless, I never did get that plot line -- why give up Sansa at all, it helps cement his place in the Vale.

No it doesn't. He already had sweet Robin . That cemented his place in the Vale more than anything Sansa could do for him. Sansa was his key to the North.

There's no way this move makes sense. Don't try to rationalize it. Littlefinger didn't have enough information for any potential hypothetical plan to be anything close to a sure thing.

It was a boneheaded blunder, but not on Littlefinger's part--on the writers' part. It's really that simple.

8 minutes ago, bb1180 said:

One could argue that it isolated the Boltons and broke down their alliances with the Lannisters,  which left the Boltons more vulnerable to revolt than they otherwise might have been.  This would (and did) create a potential opening to seat Sansa as the Lady of Winterfell and the North if the Boltons fell,  which presumably would have effectively given LF control of both the Vale and the North.  

The other side of the handshake with Cercei is that after LF took out the Boltons with the Vale army, he was supposed to bring Sansa's head to Cercei - and then, and only then would he be named Warden of the North.  LF would be reneging on his deal with Cercei if he seated Sansa as Lady of Winterfell.  He would at that point be an enemy of the crown and would lose most of what he has gained.

If you aren't blinded by the notion that he "really cares for Sansa," then his moves have been fine (from his point of view).  You can't believe anything LF says, you can only look at what he does.  Jon showing up clearly wasn't in LF's plans, but that's ok.  LF thrives on chaos and I'm sure his minding is working on a solution as we speak.

6 minutes ago, Ross2013 said:

If you aren't blinded by the notion that he "really cares for Sansa," then his moves have been fine (from his point of view).  You can't believe anything LF says, you can only look at what he does.  Jon showing up clearly wasn't in LF's plans, but that's ok.  LF thrives on chaos and I'm sure his minding is working on a solution as we speak.

Yeah... I don't buy this "I love Sansa" thing. To me that's what interesting about LF: he wants power and at this point he won't allow his feelings (if they do exist) for anyone to be a weakness of his. If Sansa comes along with it then fine, if not so be it.

13 minutes ago, Stannistician said:

The other side of the handshake with Cercei is that after LF took out the Boltons with the Vale army, he was supposed to bring Sansa's head to Cercei - and then, and only then would he be named Warden of the North.  LF would be reneging on his deal with Cercei if he seated Sansa as Lady of Winterfell.  He would at that point be an enemy of the crown and would lose most of what he has gained.

I think Littlefinger had confidence he could explain away marrying Sansa to Cersei

19 minutes ago, Tonberry said:

There's no way this move makes sense. Don't try to rationalize it. Littlefinger didn't have enough information for any potential hypothetical plan to be anything close to a sure thing.

It was a boneheaded blunder, but not on Littlefinger's part--on the writers' part. It's really that simple.

Littlefinger was used to King's Landing. He wanted Sansa as his inside woman in Winterfell.

2 hours ago, Fox of House McCloud said:

Or maybe Littlefinger is a big fat liar and just made that up to get Sansa? 

He sent Sansa to the Bolton's cus he knew they'd do something shitty and he'd be able to rally the Vale to help take Winterfell to rescue her. There's no way he didn't know what Ramsay was capable of. He knew Sansa would have to forgive him cus he was the only power around the area capable of stopping Ramsay

Archived