The Whisper (Spoilers)

On 6/27/2016 at 1:57 AM, Nami said:

As I posted on the other thread,

Using my lip reading skills I noticed,

She whispered "he saved me" before saying "if Robert finds out he'll kill him"

I'm 99% sure Lyanna does indeed whisper "He saved me" before "if Robert finds out he'll kill him".  I tend to watch the show with headphones on and distinctly remember her saying this. When I asked friends who watch the show about it, no one else caught this--they said they didn't hear it. I'm assuming Lyanna was referring to Rhaegar "saving" her from a marriage to Robert, whom she disliked (or perhaps something else happened, that we aren't privy to). Wondering if we're going to see more of them next season in a flashback/vision--it would be interesting to see Rhaegar.

17 minutes ago, Queen of Winter said:

I'm 99% sure Lyanna does indeed whisper "He saved me" before "if Robert finds out he'll kill him".  I tend to watch the show with headphones on and distinctly remember her saying this. When I asked friends who watch the show about it, no one else caught this--they said they didn't hear it. I'm assuming Lyanna was referring to Rhaegar "saving" her from a marriage to Robert, whom she disliked (or perhaps something else happened, that we aren't privy to). Wondering if we're going to see more of them next season in a flashback/vision--it would be interesting to see Rhaegar.

I had this theory that Aerys sent people to capture Lyanna in the Riverlands because he found out she was TKoTLT or maybe Rhaegar's interest in her. Rhaegar found out his father's plans, went after her and intervened (hence the "he took her at sword point"), probably some confrontation went down and he had to hide her in the ToJ and himself too since what he did was treason.
So she saying "he saved me" fits into that, I guess. But it could be that he saved her from Robert.

2 minutes ago, Nami said:

I had this theory that Aerys sent people to capture Lyanna in the Riverlands because he found out she was TKoTLT or maybe Rhaegar's interest in her. Rhaegar found out his father's plans, went after her and intervened (hence the "he took her at sword point"), probably some confrontation went down and he had to hide her in the ToJ and himself too since what he did was treason.
So she saying "he saved me" fits into that, I guess. But it could be that he saved her from Robert.

Yes, I think it's said Aerys told Rhaegar to find out who the Mystery Knight (TKOTLT) was. Apparently he told Aerys all that he found was the shield in a tree (or something like that). So, it could be that too.

On 6/27/2016 at 1:57 AM, Nami said:

As I posted on the other thread,

Using my lip reading skills I noticed,

She whispered "he saved me" before saying "if Robert finds out he'll kill him"

Nothing to do with names

I think the "he saved me" sounded like "his name is...." 
If you are right, that is a juicy and important detail! 

On June 26, 2016 at 11:40 PM, gotviewer said:

Didn't Ned say he would tell Jon about his mother at the Wall?  Could Benjen know and they were going to tell Jon together after Jon took the oath.  This way when WW's come Benjen can cross wall and tell Jon the truth to help him beat the WW.  I did not think Bran heard the whisper's words. 

maybe, I'm not sure.  I think Howland Reed would have to know because 1. He was there, kind of hard to explain a baby away, 2. Howland would keep that secret because it was Lyanna that came to his defense at the Harrenhall Tourney.  Howland was probably in love with her as well or at least loved her like a sister.  Benjen would have taken that secret to the grave as well, being Lyanna was his sister.  

Its interesting to me that Ned never trusted Cat enough to confide in her this information.  

I feel like Cat's death really robbed us of a huge emotianal scene.  Her finding out the truth about Jon would have made so many mixed emotions in her, it would be great to see or read.  

1.  Ned never cheated on her and never did honored her.

2.  She realizes that this boy she has been treating like shit for years, even worse than Theon Greyjoy, wasn't who she thought he was and knowing that her jealousy was unwarranted would have lead to some interesting emotions. 

3.  Realizing Ned didn't trust her enough to share this secret.  

Would she have seen Ned the same?  Would she have hated him?  

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/06/2016 at 5:40 AM, gotviewer said:

Didn't Ned say he would tell Jon about his mother at the Wall?  Could Benjen know and they were going to tell Jon together after Jon took the oath.  This way when WW's come Benjen can cross wall and tell Jon the truth to help him beat the WW.  I did not think Bran heard the whisper's words. 

He never said that he was going to tell him the truth at the wall... He said

"The next time we will see each other, We will talk about your mother... You might not have my name but you have my blood"

On 27/06/2016 at 5:51 AM, Into the Weirwood said:

What I don't get is why would she give him a Valyrian name if she didn't want Robert to know he's a Targaryen? Did she know Ned would have to change it anyway but told him the name just for the emotional value of it?

A man must know his real name... Don't forget that names have backgroungs... Maybe the name had a meaning... And maybe she knew Ned would have changed his name; otherwise, that would be hilarious, wouldn't it? What the name of your bastard? "Rhaegar Junior" but you can call him Jon... 'Jon Snow'... 

Perhaps he will know his name before knowing his true lineage... don't know... then he will start questionning...

On 6/26/2016 at 9:51 PM, Into the Weirwood said:

What I don't get is why would she give him a Valyrian name if she didn't want Robert to know he's a Targaryen? Did she know Ned would have to change it anyway but told him the name just for the emotional value of it?

To keep his heritage. Maybe it was rhaegars wish? 

On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 10:11 AM, SerJeremiahLouistark said:

Its interesting to me that Ned never trusted Cat enough to confide in her this information.  

I feel like Cat's death really robbed us of a huge emotianal scene.  Her finding out the truth about Jon would have made so many mixed emotions in her, it would be great to see or read.  

2.  She realizes that this boy she has been treating like shit for years, even worse than Theon Greyjoy, wasn't who she thought he was and knowing that her jealousy was unwarranted would have lead to some interesting emotions. 

I wonder if part of what's intended in the books for Lady Stoneheart is to somehow find out as we approach the "end game". It would rock her world.

• 1 month later...
On 6/28/2016 at 0:11 PM, SerJeremiahLouistark said:

maybe, I'm not sure.  I think Howland Reed would have to know because 1. He was there, kind of hard to explain a baby away, 2. Howland would keep that secret because it was Lyanna that came to his defense at the Harrenhall Tourney.  Howland was probably in love with her as well or at least loved her like a sister.  Benjen would have taken that secret to the grave as well, being Lyanna was his sister.  

I do believe that Howland Reed knows the truth.

As for why he would not tell Cat? Well let us assume R+L=J and they did have a marriage and Jon is actually Rhaegar's legitimate son. Considering that Robert Baratheon was not even surprised when they brought the bodies of Rhaegar's children to him and laid them at his feet, what do you think he would have done to Ned if he found out he had been harboring Rhaegar's last "dragonspawn"? A secret of that magnitude must not be shared.

That if it came down to it Cat would have sacrificed Jon without a second thought to keep her family safe.

On 6/28/2016 at 1:19 PM, Ser Goosey said:

I wonder what happened to Lyanna's attendant(s) in the TOJ.  There was at least one woman in the TV TOJ attending Lyanna.  

I think that might be the "Wylia" that Ned always gave as Jon's mother. She would be the wet nurse who took Jon until Ned was ready to ride home to Winter.

I've read lips, listened intently, and read voraciously. Lyanna says, "His name is (either Aemon or Jaehaerys). If Robert finds out, he'll kill him. You know he will. Promise me you'll take care of him. Promise me Ned, promise me."

Jon was obviously a cover name given to Jon by Ned, Ned having a bastard with a Targaryen name would raise many red flags and cause a lot of questions. Ned also obviously gave him the name Jon after his mentor Jon Arryn.

I honestly doubt Jon's real name will come out at all, just something left to the audiences' imagination. Even if his real name is revealed I'm pretty certain he'll just keep the name Jon Stark as he has always considered Ned his father, and even after he learns Ned isn't actually his father it won't matter to him. Ned raised him. Let's just say if Jon survives the series and gets married to somebody he ain't naming his first son Rhaegar, we all know what his first son's name will be.....Eddard.

In this series and in real life, people sometimes give their children names that are meaningful in some way to that person. Just look at Eddard's children's names and you can easily guess who his 3 sons are named after (Robb - Robert Baratheon, Bran - Brandon Stark, Rickon - Rickard Stark). Even Dany named her 3 dragons after 2 late family members (one of which was a lunatic who treated her horribly and the other died before she was even born) and her late husband.

Archived