Oldtown and that library

3 minutes ago, Fez said:

I took it to mean that they are overly bureaucratic, not ignorant. They likely did hear that the Old Bear was dead, but because word did not come from the official maester of Castle Black they ignored it.

Exactly! It would be highly irregular. B)

1 hour ago, DreadedNorwegian said:

Also i reminds me of the university from the kingkiller chronicles. Anyone else feel the same?

A bit but I had it more Way of Kings library. BTW, any idea with PR will finish the next book??  He and GMM are not exactly churning out the books.  

1 hour ago, Prince Jon said:

A bit but I had it more Way of Kings library. BTW, any idea with PR will finish the next book??  He and GMM are not exactly churning out the books.  

Not familiar with Way of kings, but might give it a look of it`s any good. The status rapoprt on the last Kingkiller books is sometime in 2016.

I'm sorry if I ruin a good thread with my pessimistic view, but this is ASOIAF. I also found the Oldtown library breathtaking, but because of the experience we have with ASOIAF, I immediately thought of the bad things that could happen to this beautiful library.

Spoiler

Especially after the Damphair's TWOW chapter. Euron will most likely go to Oldtown... If he does, I bet this f***er will set it on fire, just like Alexandria... :(

On 6/26/2016 at 8:49 PM, Shireen Purratheon said:

Like the Library of Congress meets the Library at Alexandria in the biggest university in the world. With as fast as word gets around, how did nobody at the Citadel know the Old Bear was dead?

I also loved seeing the white ravens in the air as they're looking out across the city. That was a fun touch. 

Old Town Citadel was very awesome..... it reminds of the library of Alexandria in Egypt.  That was one of the first times I didn't find myself almost breaking the remote that time was being spent on Sam, Sam and Gilly.  In the book, ALL that happens so far is little Sam is wretch-crying so badly without end and people on the ship want to strangle him or throw him overboard.... and all Gilly does is wail and sob the entire time.  Win one for the show version.  It's SO bad in the book, she has to be with young Sam at all times because the crew are descending upon the child from every angle to harm it.

On 6/27/2016 at 9:19 AM, Shireen Purratheon said:

Like the Library of Congress meets the Library at Alexandria in the biggest university in the world. With as fast as word gets around, how did nobody at the Citadel know the Old Bear was dead?

I also loved seeing the white ravens in the air as they're looking out across the city. That was a fun touch. 

Its a world filled with rumours..

As he pointed out, he got no "official" report from the Maester of castle black

One thing I was unsure of though, was it implying in those scenes that the Citadel is inside the Hightower. That would be the massive lighthouse/Pharos type building we see in the wide shot. I thought the Citadel was the domed building in the background but the height of that library was immense. 

Also the white Ravens came from the lighthouse, so that would seem to indicate that's the Citadel, unless they just store them there. 

Aside from that it was a truly epic view and u can't wait to see what hidden knowledge is in that library.  I wonder, does the material get older the deeper you go? So would the knowledge of the WW be at the very bottom in some sort of crypt, maybe in ancient passages of the black stone maze at the base of the tower. 

On 6/27/2016 at 1:34 AM, amyzing1 said:

I haven't read the books, so I I was hoping one of the readers would have more insight. But I had to rewind and take a closer look. Nice that it is all coming together and Sam will be he one to put it all together for us all. The Citadel - where all information and history *should* be stored. However, the gatekeeper didn't know about LC Mormont or Maester Aemon and just crossed their names out rather than giving them an end date and entering new LC names and Maester names. Pretty odd if it intended to be the sacred place to learn the history of everything in GoT world. No one will ever know that anyone took over those two positions, so are we expected to believe the "watch ended" when those two names were crossed out? And the Crows were disbanded at that time, White Walkers are entering south, no reports to the Citadel about them (hello Sam and Gilley, wanna mention that first thing?). 

It could mean that Oldtown being so far south doesnt really think the wall or the position of LC is that important. We already know that maesters tend to disregard all magic and myths that are now becoming true, so maybe they see the wall as unnecessary and just full of criminals.

The orb being shown there and in the credits reminded me of the conspiracy involving the maesters and how it is really them that are creating all of the conflict in Westeros and pulling the strings through the lords they counsel. The orb is shedding light on all of the library and all of Westeros in the credits representing the fact they have a presence everywhere. Either way, I dont trust the maesters and think Sam will discover something is wrong in Oldtown and get out of there fast with Heartsbane.

On 6/26/2016 at 11:49 PM, Shireen Purratheon said:

Yeah, it does seem likely that the death of the Lord Commander of the Night's Watch (Jeor Mormont) would have spread across Westeros pretty quickly, and certainly long before Sam arrived.

Maester Aemon...probably not so much.

On 6/28/2016 at 4:41 AM, Iron Mother said:

Old Town Citadel was very awesome..... it reminds of the library of Alexandria in Egypt.  That was one of the first times I didn't find myself almost breaking the remote that time was being spent on Sam, Sam and Gilly.  In the book, ALL that happens so far is little Sam is wretch-crying so badly without end and people on the ship want to strangle him or throw him overboard.... and all Gilly does is wail and sob the entire time.  Win one for the show version.  It's SO bad in the book, she has to be with young Sam at all times because the crew are descending upon the child from every angle to harm it.

You're forgetting one very important detail from these passages: The "fat pink mast."

On Sunday, June 26, 2016 at 10:49 PM, Shireen Purratheon said:

I think it is supposed to show us how they ignore the NW again.  It is hilarious because Jon is no longer LC.  

Archived