Oldtown and that library

On 27/06/2016 at 4:29 PM, Lyin' Ned said:

Was I the only one expecting to see Jaqen there, walking past Sam carrying a bunch of books like, sup?

On 28/06/2016 at 0:51 AM, Cragen said:

I expected Sarella. Giva as least one cool Sand Snake.

On 28/06/2016 at 8:25 AM, Madgie Stark said:

I'm sorry if I ruin a good thread with my pessimistic view, but this is ASOIAF. I also found the Oldtown library breathtaking, but because of the experience we have with ASOIAF, I immediately thought of the bad things that could happen to this beautiful library.

Hide contents

Especially after the Damphair's TWOW chapter. Euron will most likely go to Oldtown... If he does, I bet this f***er will set it on fire, just like Alexandria... :(

4 hours ago, JMJ said:

Questions for next season: will they use the stories of Pate, Sarella Sand, Marwyn, dragonglass candles? 

4 hours ago, GilletteMace said:

i expected sam to meet jorah there, in the waiting area.

Yes all of this! !

The funny maester is played by Frank Hvam , he is a hilarious danish comedian . If you want to see more of him check out the danish sitcom Klovn or it's spin off movies Klovn the movie and Klovn forever . 

On 6/28/2016 at 9:53 AM, Lordsteve666 said:

Aside from that it was a truly epic view and u can't wait to see what hidden knowledge is in that library.  I wonder, does the material get older the deeper you go? So would the knowledge of the WW be at the very bottom in some sort of crypt, maybe in ancient passages of the black stone maze at the base of the tower. 

Wonder if we will get a flashback episode with Sam reading these ancient passages. Perhaps the magic of the wall will be revealed to Sam and he will learn of the horn. A lot of the plot could potentially come from Sam in the next season.

On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 1:34 AM, amyzing1 said:

I haven't read the books, so I I was hoping one of the readers would have more insight. But I had to rewind and take a closer look. Nice that it is all coming together and Sam will be he one to put it all together for us all. The Citadel - where all information and history *should* be stored. However, the gatekeeper didn't know about LC Mormont or Maester Aemon and just crossed their names out rather than giving them an end date and entering new LC names and Maester names. Pretty odd if it intended to be the sacred place to learn the history of everything in GoT world. No one will ever know that anyone took over those two positions, so are we expected to believe the "watch ended" when those two names were crossed out? And the Crows were disbanded at that time, White Walkers are entering south, no reports to the Citadel about them (hello Sam and Gilley, wanna mention that first thing?). 

I've read all the books and other source material and I can tell you there is no parallel in the books.  I can only assume that as the Maesters have all the maps and keep all the records that it is a potential parallel to the fact that George said the Song of Ice and Fire is what the smallfolk refer to the events of the books as in the future, so perhaps in the show instead of the smallfolk naming the events it will be the maesters recording them in Oldtown.

14 minutes ago, BazdorClegane said:

Wonder if we will get a flashback episode with Sam reading these ancient passages. Perhaps the magic of the wall will be revealed to Sam and he will learn of the horn. A lot of the plot could potentially come from Sam in the next season.

What interests me is the fact that Sam already learned how to Kill the WW's when in Castle Blacks library, so what could he really learn that is more important than how to kill the WW's?  Maybe how to make VS steal, which can kill them? 

Sam learning anything in Hogwartis is library is questionable, to its is satire,  but he hadn't even sent a raven to tell them that we knew he was coming is, and so it would be absolutely remarkable if he remarkably learned absolutely anything is. Least of all telling the realm that winter was winter yet. Although tell why he thought babeis and femaleis are allowed into a library that he shouldn't have even been allowed entry inside of its is until he had been granted an audience affirming his status is.

As you can tell there is always is a stutter when describing samwell the forgetful of slayer is.

Isn't the citadel library at Oldtown in the series a bit too large?

By my feel of this world and how large the number of books ever written in Planetos should be, i have the clear feeling that he library is a tad bit too big.

Anyone else has the same feeling?

15 minutes ago, grufolo said:

Isn't the citadel library at Oldtown in the series a bit too large?

By my feel of this world and how large the number of books ever written in Planetos should be, i have the clear feeling that he library is a tad bit too big.

Anyone else has the same feeling?

Don't Shireen and Davos read from picture books as well as histories while she's teaching him how to read? We know of quite a few books in the world, and there's more than histories and geographies. There'd have to be smithing instructions, war strategy, midwifery, everything. And presumably there's multiple copies of many important texts. And maybe the Citadel also has copies of tax records and picture books. It could easily be justified. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/06/2016 at 3:57 AM, direwoofwoof said:

Can we take a moment to appreciate the beauty of that library? Samwell looked like he was going to faint. Loved the snarkiness if the receptionist guy too. :)  

What caught my attention was the globe in the cielings... Like the one we see at the beginning (opening song)... I thought it meant 'This is where the power comes from...' "Knowledge" ... The more you know about the world the stronger you can be..." And the parallel between the guy at the reception who didn't even know that the lord commander died and that the maester died way before the LC... Actually it's my parallel with my own thoughts or understanding of the scenes... 

• 2 months later...

I remind you all of what Sam said in Season One "I always wanted to be a wizard". I suspect Sam is going to learn magic. I believe this because Maester Lewen at Winterfell showed Bran a Valyrian Steel link that symbolized his study of the "higher mysteries", or magic. Sam is going to be Jon's Merlin.

Archived