Biggest shock of Ep. 610? I say it was Margaery. (spoilers)

On 6/26/2016 at 11:22 PM, Rory Snow said:

Not a chance, she was inside the sept when Sparrow Boy got vaporized.. she's long gone

Biggest shock was that I actually found myself cheering on Lancel, he was so close to getting that candle

I agree.  I surprised myself feeling kinda sorry for Lancel, thinking he just might make it, but deep down knowing he wouldn't.

On 6/27/2016 at 2:02 AM, tugela said:

In the book Loras is sent to take Dragonstone from Stannis's forces, and in the ensuing siege he has boiling oil poured on him (IIRC). So he is badly injured and burned. Cersei arranged for him to take the castle because she knew he would lead the attack and probably get killed in the process.

Book Loras is nothing like TV Loras. He is a gallant knight in the mold of Rhaegar. He is not gay, and he is not the heir to Highgarden.

Everything else you say is true, but I would say he's not explicitly homosexual like he is in the show, but one could reasonably infer it.

On 6/27/2016 at 7:55 AM, Charles Stuart said:

Death of Margaery was a shock, Tommen too but both me and my GF kinda just burst out laughing at how sudden he just decided to leap out the window without any warning. Sounds terrible I know but I think I am not alone in that reaction.

Also, obligatory lolmeme about Tommen's death

https://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/69093827.jpg

Yeah, it was so abrupt, and I think the fact that there was no music made it kind of off.  As soon as I saw the big open window I knew something was going out of it.  At first I thought it would be his crown, but then no turns out it was him.  The death itself didn't surprise me, but the manner did.  And I agree it came off at first as humorous rather than tragic.

On 27/06/2016 at 5:22 AM, The Bear said:

I agree. I was expecting Lancel and the High Sparrow and Loras, but not Margaery.

I wonder if it's confirmation that she's not the younger and more beautiful queen.

Margaery had to die so the prophecy from season 5 episode 1 (not sure) about Cercei will come to his accomplishment. Cercei had to become the queen so that Daenerys would be the 'queen' "much younger and more beautiful" that would take Cercei's place. Margaery had to die. Cercei becomes queen. Daenerys is also a queen with her hand whom is Tyrion... So the queen in the prophecy wasn't Margaery but Daenerys... Cercei believed it was Margaery and managed to make her disappear... But she ended up doing exactly what she was supposed to do... Just like Bran... Bran didn't change anything... He just did exactly what was meant to be done when he shouted 'Father' and when 'he turned Wyllis to Hodor'...

Margaery for me, too. Never saw her going down that way and I was very disappointed that D&D would end her storyline that way. She was such an interesting character, she deserved better. All that teasing about how she's brewing something for seasons and then in one moment she just ceases to exist. NOT a satisfactory ending. (Yes, I know, this is GoT we're talking about...)

Tommen was a shocker too, but unlike Marge, I really liked the way he left the show. We don't get many suicides in GoT. What also made it extra special was the fact that it was most likely the first time he actually made an independent decision, so for a fleeting moment he actually achieved something as a character. That makes it all so, so sad. Now that I think of it, it may well be one of the saddest deaths in the whole series so far.

//edit. I take it all back. Varys' teleporting trick was the biggest shock for me.

On 27/06/2016 at 0:28 PM, Future Null Infinity said:

for me it was the inverse, I was thinking all the time "Please, Please, Please, don't let Lancel reach the candle and extinguish it, let them burn, let them burn", ok maybe I hate too much the faith militants :D

I felt sorry for Lancel... seeing him struggling to reach the candles... I was like, surely you can at least get on your feet... I know he was hurt but come on... Arya got stabbed how many times?2? 3? but she was able to swim?? come on! and even run straight after her healing of I don't know how many days... But her wounds didn't fully recover because when she was running, she was bleeding... But then she able to fight...(in the dark... in her great advantage because she has been blind...)

Maybe just to show us that she's strong and she will her best to achieve her goals...

On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 0:26 AM, Cron said:

Don't get me wrong, I WAS somewhat surprised to see Cersei crowned, and so quickly, no less (Miminally, even if the next in line were Jaime and Cersei, I would think Jaime would have the better claim, especially since I think he's not a member of the Kingsguard at the moment)

Why would Jaime have any claim at all? It was a Baratheon who was King, he is a Lannister. Cersei was at least Baratheon by marriage. Though she appears to have just taken the crown by force.

On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 0:28 AM, VladimirDulud said:

Agree. And I'm GUTTED. 

It reads so completely rushed.

I get it. 

The series is almost over - fine.

But still - this was such an excellent characterization and it would have been 

fantastic to see the Tyrell support Dany in the end. I really believed the Tyrells

would be there, pledging allegiance to Dany and basically coming full circle,

back to the days when they swore their oath and earned the Reach.

It also didn't read correctly that Olenna wasn't more distraught. But oh well.

Memories.

The Tyrells are supporting Dany though. Olenna is siding with her and her fleet was in with Dany's.

On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 8:21 AM, Dragonslack said:

The surprise was the never fail prophecy, so all the kids died, and jamie can still kill her but what of the younger and more beautiful woman that steals everything away from her!? It had to be Margery. That and the whole tyrells with the sparrows was for nothing. And the faith militant are not dead, they are armed worldwide.

Dany would be the younger and more beautiful Queen. Also, the show has never shown or mentioned anything about the faith militant being anywhere except in KL. You are mixing book and show facts.

I guess I should actually add my shock!

I would say more of KL not exploding was a shock for me. I expected some accidental chain reaction.

On 7/6/2016 at 9:04 AM, dbunting said:

Why would Jaime have any claim at all? It was a Baratheon who was King, he is a Lannister. Cersei was at least Baratheon by marriage. Though she appears to have just taken the crown by force.

Why would Jaime have any claim, you ask?  Well, I can't quote or swear to the exact details, but my memory is that a pretty thorough examination of the lineage of the houses was done, and the conclusion was, bizarrely enough, that of known ASOIAF characters, Jaime and Cersei actually have the best claim b/c of, I believe, a Baratheon in their ancestry that married a Lannister.

Bear in mind that known Baratheons are basically wiped out.

(If someone has better information on any of this, I would be interested to hear it, of course)

5 hours ago, Cron said:

Why would Jaime have any claim, you ask?  Well, I can't quote or swear to the exact details, but my memory is that a pretty thorough examination of the lineage of the houses was done, and the conclusion was, bizarrely enough, that of known ASOIAF characters, Jaime and Cersei actually have the best claim b/c of, I believe, a Baratheon in their ancestry that married a Lannister.

Bear in mind that known Baratheons are basically wiped out.

(If someone has better information on any of this, I would be interested to hear it, of course)

You would think there would be some Baratheon somewhere in Storms End. That would be a kick in the ass to Cersei. She takes the crown for herself only to find out Jaime should be King.

Margaery dying definitely, I thought her character had so much more to come, yes Tommen jumping out the window was unexpected but I never expected anything exciting from his character anyway so it was always only a matter of time before he met his end

5 hours ago, dbunting said:

You would think there would be some Baratheon somewhere in Storms End. That would be a kick in the ass to Cersei. She takes the crown for herself only to find out Jaime should be King.

Well, I hear you, and that makes sense, which is why I said "known" Baratheons.

I agree with you that I would think there would be some Baratheons somewhere.  It seems unlikely to me that an entire great house could be wiped out just by the deaths of about 8 people (Robert, Joffrey, Myrcella, Tommen, Renly, Stannis, Shireen, Selyse).

But then, maybe Cersei's claim is based on her marriage to Robert??? I dunno.

Archived