Biggest shock of Ep. 610? I say it was Margaery. (spoilers)

I'm surprised I'm such a minority opinion, but I do not like Show!Margaery and it is further fueled by the fact Natalie Dormer took on the role.  Dormer plays smugness and that's what Margaery became in the show.  She is just as ambitious as Cersei, she'll do anything to be THE queen, she even said it herself that she fakes being nice to the commonfolk cause it helps her popularity.  Personally, the commonfolk disgust her.

The Tyrells are NOT good.  They are the Reynes of Castamere, they are the second-rate wannabe Lannisters.  They aren't satisfied being #2, they want to be on top, and that's ultimately the downfall to their House.

My only disappointment is that Margaery didn't outplay herself, but Cersei finally beat her.  That was the only part I didn't like.  But yeah, I always wanted/expected Margaery to die swiftly and brutally.  (EDIT:  HBO's Uprooting the Rose video gives a meekly explanation that Marg still has her agency and only dies because of the idiocy of the High Sparrow.  I can partly buy that.)

And in the book, I expect the same, but because she is actually an innocent young girl and with the way of things in the ASOIAF world, bad things often happen swiftly and brutally to innocent young girls.  (like Jeyne Poole)

I knew Cersei was obsessed with wildfire but I didn't guess what she was going to do with it until I noticed the green glowing walls.  I dunno about you guys, I clapped with glee.  She was such a good villain to begin with, then fell apart, this put her back in the big leagues and more like her dad. I could absolutely see Tywin doing something like this.

Tommen jumping came out of nowhere for me.

So those two tie for me, while Arya and the pie was a close runner up.

Morgain - good catch on the parallel re Bran's fall from the tower.  I didn't realize it till you said it.

One thing I found a bit shocking but in a good way - everyone seems to be getting around Westeros and from Essos to Westeros a lot quicker.  I'm glad of it but don't know if the time frames would bear close examination - so I'm just going to suspend my disbelief and revel in the quick action.  

Kick ass finale!

1 minute ago, HellasLEAF said:

For me the biggest shock was Cersei. 

She's gone to a depth comparable to the Mad King.  

The Mad King just wanted to burn everything.  Cersei actually had a purpose and a plan.  She reminded me much more of her father Tywin and the "Rains of Castamere" incident.

1 minute ago, Lady Barbrey said:

The Mad King just wanted to burn everything.  Cersei actually had a purpose and a plan.  She reminded me much more of her father Tywin and the "Rains of Castamere" incident.

They both felt nothing to burn thousands I meant.  

1 minute ago, HellasLEAF said:

They both felt nothing to burn thousands I meant.  

True.  In the books I was expecting her to do the Aerys thing - she seemed to be leading up to it - so I was actually pleasantly (!) surprised she didn't burn the entire city down.  But yeah, just as psychopathic as Aerys in the long run.  

It was another shock - more a surprise - that she didn't grieve over her son more.  So much has been made of her motherly instincts.

Just now, Lady Barbrey said:

True.  In the books I was expecting her to do the Aerys thing - she seemed to be leading up to it - so I was actually pleasantly (!) surprised she didn't burn the entire city down.  But yeah, just as psychopathic as Aerys in the long run.  

It was another shock - more a surprise - that she didn't grieve over her son more.  So much has been made of her motherly instincts.

Ya.  It was almost like it was her one underlying trait that made her human.  How faithful in her devotion to him.  The order to burn him.  There is cold and there is Cersei 

30 minutes ago, Maester Totoro said:

Margaery dying definitely, but also Daario being left behind. The logic behind seems thin at best for me.

I agree completely about the Daario thing.

I was quite surprised Dany would leave Daario and all the Second Sons in Mereen.

No way would I have done that if I was her.  As you say, the logic seemed thin.

11 minutes ago, Lyin' Ned said:

I had read all the spoilers so naturally nothing surprised me, except for Jon kicking Mel outta there. I thought he was either gonna kill her or spare her, didn't think he was gonna Jorah'd her. 

I too was surprised by Jon banishing Melisandre.

I've got a feeling she's gonna boomerang back at him.

1 hour ago, lancerman said:

I knew Cersie was going to use the Wildfire. I just thought it would be in a sort of she lost her trial and had a meltdown and went Mad King to take everyone with her.

Instead we got a calculated massive assassination. Ruthless. Someone around here said she went full Michael Corleone and that's exactly it. Once I realized that Cersie wasn't showing up and they were all stuck in there... damn. One scene took out Pycelle, Lancel, High Sparrow, Margeary, Mace Loras, Kevan. Then Tommen by suicide.

lol, it was great. Cersei is amazing.

1 hour ago, HeroesAndVillains said:

I think Margery's definitely dead as the queen of thorns was informed. :(

Biggest shock was Tommen in the sense that I was expecting him to die but not by suicide.

Another shock was maybe that whole zombie thing... my friend thinks Sir Gregor raped the Septa. I disagree though I think it was non-sexual torture.

she's his plaything, it was rape. at least they didn't show it this time.

15 minutes ago, shawnpmcd said:

Biggest shock to me was that Sansa's speech re: "when I think of everything that was taken from me" in the preview for the entire season wasn't included in a single episode!

That's a quote from S7, she's referring to the fact being Queen in the North was taken from her by Jon :^)

(Kidding, she knows Bran is alive, and we know Bran will make it back to WF in early s7.)  Maybe she will pack it up and rule the Vale instead.

Archived