Lyanna Mormont

17 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

How did Sansa get the Northern lords to fall in line and get Lyanna to speak up???  Sansa didn't say a word. Where did you come up with this conclusion?  Or are you just assuming that Sansa plotted the whole thing?  Judging from her look and reaction to Littlefinger, I'm not so sure. Plus she was the only one to not join in with The King in the North chant. Maybe Tormund didn't either. 

I'm judging this on the looks between her and little finger....I mean all the northern houses swear fealty after LF commits the Vale to the Starks cause and expects Sansas hand in marriage in return ....she basically checked his move by having Lyanna shame the Lords into accepting Jon...not everything has to happen on screen

17 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

How did Sansa get the Northern lords to fall in line and get Lyanna to speak up???  Sansa didn't say a word. Where did you come up with this conclusion?  Or are you just assuming that Sansa plotted the whole thing?  Judging from her look and reaction to Littlefinger, I'm not so sure. Plus she was the only one to not join in with The King in the North chant. Maybe Tormund didn't either. 

Perhaps it's a stretch and I'm just grasping ....but maybe another event happend off... camera and that was Robb making out his will that Jon was to succeed him if he died childless.....maybe she got that message from her aunt ....I just find it a little hard believe that a 10 year old would support the claim of a bastard on her own like that ...then again it's TV  and strange things happen....but the looks between Sansa and LF sealed it for me....she had a role in it for sure

7 hours ago, Ravness said:

Haven't people been complaining about the North not remembering since last season? It's possible they knew she'd become a fan favorite. I mean it certainly worked for me. The moment she got up I was just waiting for her to lay the smackdown.

Ok, that makes more sense, fair enough. It just sometimes seems like fans think that a week-old complaint can be fixed by the show in the following episode, which is both amusing and irritating at the same time. Apologies for the snark. :)

On 27.6.2016 at 7:39 AM, Ser Yorick Ampersand said:

She's the only person with female genitalia that I can tolerate on the show right now. Probably only because the actress is good.

..and Meera.. she's cool.

Lol. I agree, love these girls. The rest are D&D feministic zombies.

3 minutes ago, Count Winter said:

Agree, hope we are going to see more of her!

Hopefully Tourney of Harrenhal and the Knight of the Laughing Tree bit. 

Also what happened during her disappearance, hopefully we'll see Rhaegar.

13 hours ago, Raksha 2014 said:

I'm wondering if Lyanna and her advisors cooked up this scheme before she left Bear Island - if Jon & co. defeat the Bolton forces, rally the Northern Lords to name Jon the King with an eye towards a future marriage with Lyanna herself.  

Even if none of the Northerners have yet thought about Lyanna's future consort, I'm all for her marrying Jon.  Though she might be too much for him.  And I'm not sure how well she'd get along with Arya (they'll either become BFFs or want to kill each other), let alone Sansa (who I think might like and respect Lyanna unless Sansa gives into petty resentment of Jon being head Cheese in Winterfell now)...

Highly unlikely. He was a bastard. Highborn ladies don't get married off to bastards if they can help it.

19 hours ago, Charles Stuart said:

The best meeting would have been between Lyanna and Stannis but alas :P

I think there would have been a spanking. Stannis was big on justice and respect, and a stickler for the rules as he saw them, no way he would let that pass. Remember, he cut off some of Davos's fingers during the war, even though Davos was the only one who broke the siege and brought his soldiers much need food (onions - hence he is referred to as the "onion knight"). He knighted Davos, then chopped off some of his fingers, because Davos still had to be punished for his crimes as a smuggler even though he was the hero who saved the day.

17 hours ago, CrypticWeirwood said:

Do you think that the North still would have elected FJon king had they known that Rhaegar was playing the rôle of Bael the Bard by stealing the Lord of Winterfell’s daughter?

My guess is that yes, they would, especially the Mormonts.  That Lady Mormont is herself the namesake of that daughter is no accident, nor is an accident that House’s historical support for inheritance through the female line (as has historically been observed in Scotland, England, Spain, and Portugal, but not in the Germanic nations where Salic Law applied).

It is clear that the Mormonts at least hold in high regard the guaranteed certainty of lineal descent through the female line.  Lyanna Mormont doesn’t care whether FJon is a bastard or true born; it makes no difference to her either way.

There is an historical accuracy here, too, when it comes to depicting the ancient traditions of the North.  The son of one’s sister, one’s sister-son, was always special to the Northern peoples.  Tolkien called the sister-son “a relationship keenly felt”, something seen again and again in his writings.  

Martin clearly picked up on this cultural value when he made Ned’s relationship with his sister-son FJon such a special one. The North remembers.

Maege only got the title after all of the males of the house were eliminated. Jeor gave up the title and joined the nights watch so that Jorah could be Lord. Jorah lost the title after he was condemned for sell poachers into slavery.

Incidentally, Tormund may actually be Lyanna's father, since Maege had 5 daughters with a mystery man. She was called the "She-Bear", while Tormund was called (among other things) "husband to bears".

5 hours ago, Raksha 2014 said:

That conversation shows why there is an apparent disconnect between the Northern Lords/former and current Stark bannermen and Sansa.  It's not just because she's female and the widow of Ramsay Bolton.  Sansa doesn't really know how to talk to the rough, tough, Northern aristocracy in terms they can understand.  The Northern lords respect personal strength and integrity, and the ability to fight and protect their own people as well as honor their commitments to their liege-lords.  Sansa was raised with dreams of Southern courtly love and tournaments and glamor.  In praising little Lyanna's beauty, Sansa spoke to Lyanna as she might have spoken to a younger sister of Margaery Tyrell.  But this kid is not a softly raised Southern flower (even one with steel under the petals like Margaery); she's a Northern child who is only the ruler of Bear Island because her mother died fighting for Sansa's brother - which Sansa doesn't see fit to mention, for some reason; evidently thinking Lady L. would be more impressed by flattery and a comparison to the late and possibly unlamented (outside of House Stark) Lyanna Stark.  

Sansa should have greeted Lyanna Mormont by speaking of the connection between the child's mother and Sansa's brother, and how Sansa wants to honor it by defeating the Boltons and taking Winterfell and assuring that none of the Houses loyal to the Starks will ever suffer again for that allegiance.  Or something other than 'You're going to be as pretty as my late aunt Lyanna'.  

Sansa seems to be at least trying to rediscover her Northern roots.  It's interesting that Littlefinger found her sitting under the heart tree (wasn't it the same one where Ned sat to polish Ice in the first season).  But she has a ways to go.  I'm not even sure that Sansa will ultimately find her destiny in the North, or make a better life for herself in the South; that is, if she survives.  I would like to see another scene where Sansa addresses Lyanna Mormont, this time with a language of mutual respect from one daughter of the North to another.  Not sure we'll get it, though...

Most of the other female characters for the northern houses that we meet are similar to Sansa. The Mormonts are tough because they are in a distant outpost that is poor and constantly raided by Ironborn and wildlings. The rest of the northern houses are not like that.

On 6/27/2016 at 4:54 AM, Mourneblade said:

Lady Mormont (Bella Ramsey) Absolutely stole the show in every scene she was in this season. I thought she was believable, and truly inspiring.

Well done!

100% agree. For such a young character with on the outset such a minor role she has been amazing. I hope that she's in the new season just as much. Great bit of casting. 

16 hours ago, Ser Reptitious said:

Ok, that makes more sense, fair enough. It just sometimes seems like fans think that a week-old complaint can be fixed by the show in the following episode, which is both amusing and irritating at the same time. Apologies for the snark. :)

No worries :]

14 hours ago, Drz said:

Since she's become a fan favorite, I can see the writers trying their hardest to give her even more badass scenes next season.

I would like this a lot. Though it might sound a bit unrealistic to have a 10 year old fighting some battles (coupled with the controversial idea of child soldiers), at least some scenes of her displaying some combat ability she's learned - assuming she's already being taught how to defend herself? Maybe by way of simple sparring scenes or such.

She was amazing, she nailed it. GRRM created Lyanna Mormont, Bella Ramsey immortalised her. Of course now in the books Lyanna Mormont will die of a tragic accident involving a Voodoo Faceless Man Doll, because this is George's world and only he pulls the strings, and (emphasis given) because George+his reasons. I believe that he will delay the Winds of Winter further and on purpose, because reasons again. 

The little gloved "hush" hand that was raised to indicate silence….uh, immediately. I died laughing. Just the best. I didn't expect it.  Every nuance, gesture, movement, expression, her eyes, and her poise, along with the matter of fact, scathing verbal deliveries….just perfect and balanced. 

I look forward to any scenes she's in next season. Totally get a kick out of her character. 

Archived