Daenerys power

blckp

16 hours ago, Fez said:

She has the most powerful army because almost half of Westeros has already declared for her. If all Westeros was united under one ruler, they'd easily throw back the Dothraki and Unsullied. Its the dragons that are the wildcard; but dragons can be killed and they aren't as large yet as Aegon's were. Since half of Westeros is already for her though, and the other half is divided and weakened, yes, she should roll through the seven kingdoms easily.

I doubt she has the largest army ever though. A fully united Westeros on its own would be stronger than what she has now, but Westeros never started trying to conquer Essos, and with good reason. It won't come up in the show, but the Free Cities can support massive armies themselves, and if they united they'd be unstoppable. And Yi Ti and the far east likely are huge as well.

she can easily crush combined westeros even if westeros wasn't destroyed by war of 5 king, as Robert Baratheon or Jorah said Drogo's khalsaar alone could defeat combined army of westeros, she has all khalsaar + also has all old chisgari legions  + 3 dragons and some mercenary soldiers

Aegon had 1600 soldier and he was unstoppable just with 3 dragons, kings of westeros got destroyed or kneeled before him

she would have crushed westeros, the only reason she uniting westeros without fight is plot demands it, to fight with WW

11 minutes ago, blckp said:

she can easily crush combined westeros even if westeros wasn't destroyed by war of 5 king, as Robert Baratheon or Jorah said Drogo's khalsaar alone could defeat combined army of westeros, she has all khalsaar + also has all old chisgari legions  + 3 dragons and some mercenary soldiers

Aegon had 1600 soldier and he was unstoppable just with 3 dragons, kings of westeros got destroyed or kneeled before him

she would have crushed westeros, the only reason she uniting westeros without fight is plot demands it, to fight with WW

Drogo's khalsaar was 40,000 strong and was considered unusually large. The Tyrell army alone is 100,000 and they have castles. The combined might of Westeros pre-Robert's death was probably around 450,000.

And Aegon's dragons were larger than Dany's are now. If Dany didn't have half of Westeros on her side already she would've either been crushed or had to wait several more years until her dragons were much larger.

7 hours ago, Lyin' Ned said:

She's got way more people backing her up than Aerys/Rhaegar ever did:

- Dorne

- Reach

- 1/2 of Iron Islands

- Potentially the Westerlands if she can get people to rally around Tyrion

- Unsullied

- Dothraki

- 3 dragons

And she's free to marry someone to make even more alliances, say, Petyr Baelish, ruler of the Vale in all but name. 

Barring any deus ex machina, girl is set for life. 

she IS the deus ex machina

16 hours ago, Fez said:

Drogo's khalsaar was 40,000 strong and was considered unusually large. The Tyrell army alone is 100,000 and they have castles. The combined might of Westeros pre-Robert's death was probably around 450,000.

And Aegon's dragons were larger than Dany's are now. If Dany didn't have half of Westeros on her side already she would've either been crushed or had to wait several more years until her dragons were much larger.

if you talking about book numbers then drogo's khalsaar is 100k and her army would be around half million, in TV show army sizes reduced, and tyrell army is around 80k in book

pretty sure robert didnt lied -1minute 15 second mark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CY5As-RP1MM#t=1m15s

While her army is insanely large, that can also be a hindrance to a degree.  The bigger the army the longer it takes to move (granted the Dothraki are used to moving around and the Unsullied I believe are trained to make and break camp), and she has to be able to feed that many men and horses (however many they were able to bring at least).  Trying to feed that large of a force, with winter setting in, could be a major issue for her if the war is too prolonged.    

So having the Tyrells and The Reach is probably more important for food than manpower in my mind.

16 hours ago, jrod said:

While her army is insanely large, that can also be a hindrance to a degree.  The bigger the army the longer it takes to move (granted the Dothraki are used to moving around and the Unsullied I believe are trained to make and break camp), and she has to be able to feed that many men and horses (however many they were able to bring at least).  Trying to feed that large of a force, with winter setting in, could be a major issue for her if the war is too prolonged.    

So having the Tyrells and The Reach is probably more important for food than manpower in my mind.

yeah she had 2 problem

1 find ships to transport her army - she resolved it with  astopor,yunkai,volantis,dorne,tyrell,iron islands ships

2 food -Varys resolved it with - the reach and dorne otherwise she would need to transport food from essos

Maybe we'll need to think of food provisions for the army. A big army and dragons need a large supply of land, food, water etc. I'm sure these supplies can be easy to find but it'll be an issue and maybe kill some of the army off to even up the numbers. 

6 minutes ago, blckp said:

if you talking about book numbers then drogo's khalsaar is 100k and her army would be around half million, in TV show army sizes reduced, and tyrell army is around 80k in book

pretty sure robert didnt lied

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CY5As-RP1MM#t=1m15s

Well, not deliberately lied, but those numbers might be exaggerated.  Its a medieval world, there is no NSA around. Sure, there are Varys little birds, but they hardly  counted each guy in drogons khalasar. And even if, and its 100k, the dothraki travel with their families and slaves, so u cant count them all as warriors.

And even if tehry were 100k warriors...they are crap. 80000 tyrells could easily roflstomp them.

16 hours ago, zeus said:

Maybe we'll need to think of food provisions for the army. A big army and dragons need a large supply of land, food, water etc. I'm sure these supplies can be easy to find but it'll be an issue and maybe kill some of the army off to even up the numbers. 

2 minutes ago, blckp said:

That is true. But I was referring to the books where she struggles to keep her entire army intact because of provisions. 

I dont know just trying to think of something that may level the playing field. 

Let's see...

The Dothraki- Best horse archers in the world

Unsullied- Most disciplined infantry in the world

Iron Fleet- The best sailors in the world

The Reach- Best heavy cavalry in the world 

Dorne- Masters of asymmetrical warfare

+Most likely the Stormlands next season as they won't be thrilled being ruled over by the person who screwed over their rightful rulers 

And finally the three dragons. Dany is living life on easy mode right now.

The book Dothraki are known as some of the best archers in the world, as well as almost all being very fierce fighter known for terrifying war cries. 

The show Dothraki are much weaker than the book Dothraki. 

Also, infantry forces in books are much weaker than in show. In the books, only the North is known for having good infantry troops capable of sustaining calvary charges. In show, everyone has good infantry.

The North is, in fact, known more for infantry than calvary.

8 hours ago, Lord of Nutella said:

- iron fleet has been beaten before, they are no half-gods.

- Unsullied are good, but the best in the world , really? They are one of the best, im sure, but Westeros fields comparable infantry. 

- ill never get tired to say it: dothraki are overrated as fuck.  Maybe they are the most feared for their plundering, but thats hardly worth much in battle.  They are light cavalry. We never see Dothraki use any armour. Theyll  have their use,but they hardly can stand up to a professional Westerosi army.  The good thing is, there is a damn lot of them.

-dragons can be killed.

Its obvious she will roflstomp her opposition, but even tho she definetly is very strong, the weakness of her opponents plays a big part. Who is there to oppose her, really?  The Lannisters. Euron. Maybe Vale. 

I dont think the North will even care.

Westerosi armies aren't thousands of well-trained knights. They're a bunch of blokes with day-jobs with little training in a bunch of armour and whose only experience in battle is the war they're fighting in now. They'll shit themselves when 100,000 horses stampede at them. Unsullied on the other hand, are professional infantry - they're trained for combat as it is their only purpose. No other army is as well trained. They are the best.

I agree with the dragons though, they can be killed. They're no longer a secret and the iron fleet would prepare for it just in case... big ass harpoons.

It doesn't matter how many people she has. In actuality, all does people she has will be a liability once the W.W turn them. The key will be what will the WW have to battle the dragons? Will they be able to reanimate the dragons if they manage to kill one?  If so, I see Dany could be defeated by them. 

24 minutes ago, Daniel Tarly said:

Also, infantry forces in books are much weaker than in show. In the books, only the North is known for having good infantry troops capable of sustaining calvary charges. In show, everyone has good infantry.

Not really. The Westerlands in the books are known for having the best pikemen in Westeros. There's an ssm stating that Tywin's pikemen were the best trained. Even during the Dance of Dragons, in a losing battle, the Lannister pikemen managed to give the Northern and Riverland cavalry catastrophic casualty rates despite being surrounded at all sides with their backs against a lake.

Im guessing the Dothraki will be a lot more capable in the show than they will be in the books 

I'm not sure how this is going to play out.  I've changed my mind a dozen times over the years with regards to the "conquest".  As of now, it looks like Dany could get to Westeros and not even have anyone to fight.  She'll march in to Westeros and only the Lannisters would oppose her.  I don't think the North would even have a huge issue bending to knee to a well liked and fair ruler.

I think the biggest issue comes when the battle is over.  What happens to a huge hoard of Dothraki stranded in Westeros?  They follow Dany now, but what happens when there is nobody left to fight or when Dany dies.  I don't see them being domesticated and they could easily become the next "big bad". 

As far as the books go, a good military commander from Westeros could put a hurt on her attack plans. Dothraki can't deal with castles, keeps, and strong holds.  They don't lay siege and are only an elite fighting force in the open fighting face to face.  There aren't a huge number of Unsullied to make up the difference.  The dragons would be the real wildcard, but even dragons can be killed by archers (examples in the World of Ice and Fire).

1 hour ago, U-238A said:

Westerosi armies aren't thousands of well-trained knights. They're a bunch of blokes with day-jobs with little training in a bunch of armour and whose only experience in battle is the war they're fighting in now. They'll shit themselves when 100,000 horses stampede at them. Unsullied on the other hand, are professional infantry - they're trained for combat as it is their only purpose. No other army is as well trained. They are the best.

I agree with the dragons though, they can be killed. They're no longer a secret and the iron fleet would prepare for it just in case... big ass harpoons.

Were not talking aboit knights.  We are talking about men at arms. Professional commoner soldiers.  Each house, at least in the show, seems to be able to field at least a few thousand of them, and they are vastly superior equipped compared to dothraki. Lannister show soldiers have partial plate armour. Thats pretty serious. 

Regarding cavalry charges- with such a light force as the dothraki are, that would be a suicidal idea. Polearms and its over. There is even a book precedent: it is told that at somepoint, 2000 or so unsillied or so defended against charge after charge from the dothraki. Sure, unsullied are elite soldiers, but standing in a line and holding a pike in the enemies general direction is not that hard.  Even drafted westerosi peasants could probably pull that off.

I cannot emphasize enough how crippling the dothrakis utter lack of armour is.  

Archived