Aejon Targaryen???

I'm seeing a lot of comments about what Lyanna whispered.

Among other things she said, consensus seems to be that she said Jon's real full name, and the first syllable is "A."

Some people are speculating it's Aegon or Aemon, but I say "Aejon."

Aejon Targaryen.

Your thoughts?

4 minutes ago, Cron said:

I just listened to it again, several times, with the volume cranked.

Simply cannot make out the name she whispers for sure.

The showrunners know their craft too well to actually let even the faintest of sounds escape, because they know we’ll use digital decoding techniques on it if they do.

They’re obviously saving FJon’s real name for later so that we have something to talk about for the next year.

3 minutes ago, CrypticWeirwood said:

The showrunners know their craft too well to actually let even the faintest of sounds escape, because they know we’ll use digital decoding techniques on it if they do.

They’re obviously saving FJon’s real name for later so that we have something to talk about for the next year.

I think you're right that we're not going to be able to confirm for sure.

But again, many people seem to believe the first syllable is a long "A" sound, and building off of that I believe it's GOT to be "Aejon."

Also, even though I'm no lip reader, I just watched it again several times, and it does appear her jaw goes down as it would for a long "A" at that moment.

1 minute ago, Cron said:

I think you're right that we're not going to be able to confirm for sure.

But again, many people seem to believe the first syllable is a long "A" sound, and building off of that I believe it's GOT to be "Aejon."

But FJon himself said that he was no Aemon Targaryen. 

Therefore, that’s exactly who he is, thanks to the dramatic irony in that foreshadowing.

There is no reason to name him Aejon, what the hell is this crap. Aegon is his name, as it is the Targaryen custom, also Aegon was the first conqueror of Westeros, so he is known by almost anyone who read some history. He is Aegon VII Targaryen.

4 minutes ago, CrypticWeirwood said:

But FJon himself said that he was no Aemon Targaryen. 

Therefore, that’s exactly who he is, thanks to the dramatic irony in that foreshadowing.

Maybe.  Maybe.  But I think Sam is more similar to Aemon than Jon is.

And personally, I'd prefer "Aejon," something new, to yet another Aegon or Aemon, and the "on" at the end of all three names seems pretty coincidental otherwise.

12 minutes ago, Cron said:

I just listened to it again, several times, with the volume cranked.

Simply cannot make out the name she whispers for sure.

Trick is to turn on Closed Caption. it didnt say  the name though but she did say "if robert finds out

5 minutes ago, GeorgeIAF said:

There is no reason to name him Aejon, what the hell is this crap. Aegon is his name, as it is the Targaryen custom, also Aegon was the first conqueror of Westeros, so he is known by almost anyone who read some history. He is Aegon VII Targaryen.

You never give siblings the same name: FJon has his own name.

5 minutes ago, GeorgeIAF said:

So the mistress gave the bastard the same name as his recently deceased trueborn brother had.

3 minutes ago, Nami said:

Using my lip reading skills I noticed,

She whispered "he saved me" before saying "if Robert finds out he'll kill him"

Nothing to do with names

I've now watched the scene, with volume CRANKED, about six or seven times.

She clearly says "his name is..." and then whispers something I can't make out.

1 minute ago, DarkerStar said:

So the mistress gave the bastard the same name as his recently deceased trueborn brother had.

How do you know she is his mistress, how do you know they didn't married ? Lyanna loved Rhager and he loved her, maybe she learned of what happened with Rhaegar's children.

10 minutes ago, GeorgeIAF said:

Well, we can't be positive, but frankly I think Lyanna would not be so basic as to name yet another Targaryen "Aegon," I think she would be more creative.

Also, as has been pointed out, not only have there been 6 Aegons already, but one of them is Rhaegar's son, who is still alive at this time (or just recently was alive).  Would Rhaegar have two sons named Aegon?

Archived