Aejon Targaryen???

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 9:15 AM, Flavia Gemina said:

"This is my bastard son Jon Snow, named after my foster father, nothing to see here, move along"

no Aejon shortening needed. 

even good queen Cersei didn't notice it was odd that Jon (Doe) lived with his father in a castle instead of a hovel with some random small woman.

That is because in Westerosi Society it is considered very rude to speak of a noble's bastards. Why do you think in Season 1 Robert Baratheon shut up quick when Ned made it clear he was not going to discuss his bastard's mother.

On 8/14/2016 at 3:26 PM, Cron said:

Very interesting, I had forgotten that detail about Roose and Ramsay.

Perhaps I'm giving the other Houses too much credit for how they treated "non-trueborn" offspring.  I had had a general sense that there were other good examples, but I'm drawing something of a blank right now, I admit.

Everyone's favorite Sand Snakes might be the best example of bastards being treated well and having a place in a Noble House.  Of course that was due to Oberyn who was somewhat stubborn in his own right and didn't play by the normal rules of Westerosi society.  Guessing the Martell House is regretting that choice now though...

In the Dunk & Egg tales, many Targaryen bastards are high up in the food chain, most notably the Three Eyed Raven, Brynden Rivers who's Hand of the King for may Kings prior to taking the Black and being Lord Commander of the Night's Watch.

7 minutes ago, DaMavs said:

Everyone's favorite Sand Snakes might be the best example of bastards being treated well and having a place in a Noble House.  Of course that was due to Oberyn who was somewhat stubborn in his own right and didn't play by the normal rules of Westerosi society.  Guessing the Martell House is regretting that choice now though...

In the Dunk & Egg tales, many Targaryen bastards are high up in the food chain, most notably the Three Eyed Raven, Brynden Rivers who's Hand of the King for may Kings prior to taking the Black and being Lord Commander of the Night's Watch.

Thanks.

I haven't read the Dunk & Egg stuff yet, but I expect to do so soon.  In fact, I've already bought the compilation.

(For anyone who doesn't know, the Dunk & Egg novellas were consolidated into one book In October of 2015, I believe, and that book is now generally available in book stores.  I believe it's called Knight of the Seven Kingdoms,) 

I'd like to think that Lyanna named Jon as "Jonaerys" too. It's a good compromise of traditional royal Stark (JON = King Jon Stark) and Targaryen (AERYS = King Jaeherys/Aerys) names. I don't think Lyanna is someone that would allow Targaryens to be the sole influence in her son's name. She'll definitely want Jon's name to be Stark-ish too. Also with "Jonaerys", his nickname will conveniently be "Jon" which is a perfect cover name. It's like "Egg" for "Aegon" in Dunk & Egg series.

Jonhaerys......Thus easier for Ned to lie about his name being Jon after Jon Arryn being that Jon is in the name.

Kinda like Jaehaerys only with Jon instead of Jae.

I'm guess Lyanna told Ned: "his name is Jonhaerys. Just call him Jon. But you must not tell Robert the truth. You know he'll kill him. You know he will."

On 8/17/2016 at 3:07 PM, ser naes yennet said:

everyone seems to agree that it appeared Lyanna mouthed something starting with the "A" sound, so how about "Arthur", for all those who think he's a Dayne?

I guess anything's possible, but I find it really hard to believe he's a Dayne.

GRRM has gone to GREAT lengths to lay the foundation of a relationship between Rhaegar and Lyanna. so I'm going to be utterly shocked if Rhaegar is not Jon's father.

On 8/19/2016 at 1:36 AM, Cron said:

I guess anything's possible, but I find it really hard to believe he's a Dayne.

GRRM has gone to GREAT lengths to lay the foundation of a relationship between Rhaegar and Lyanna. so I'm going to be utterly shocked if Rhaegar is not Jon's father.

i agree with you completely, iabout the books. who knows what can or will happen in the show, with the complete divergence from the source material.

On 8/20/2016 at 2:35 AM, ser naes yennet said:

i agree with you completely, iabout the books. who knows what can or will happen in the show, with the complete divergence from the source material.

Good point.

Wouldn't that be wild if the show changed such a major thing????

Maybe we're going to find out someone completely unexpected is Jon's father.

Howland Reed????

HARRRR

On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 1:38 AM, GeorgeIAF said:

There is no reason to name him Aejon, what the hell is this crap. Aegon is his name, as it is the Targaryen custom, also Aegon was the first conqueror of Westeros, so he is known by almost anyone who read some history. He is Aegon VII Targaryen.

Rhaegar already had one kid named Aegon. Do you really think he'd name his second son Aegon, too? He's not George Foreman.

His name is Aemon Targaryen.

On 8/27/2016 at 9:33 AM, Thor Odinson said:

Rhaegar already had one kid named Aegon. Do you really think he'd name his second son Aegon, too? He's not George Foreman.

His name is Aemon Targaryen.

Loved your first paragraph.  For anyone reading this who doesn't know, George Foreman is a professional boxer who, as I recall, had five sons and named all five of them George.  HARRR

As for the rest...

Aejon Targaryen.

It is known.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/18/2016 at 11:18 PM, The Bastard of Summer said:

Jonhaerys......Thus easier for Ned to lie about his name being Jon after Jon Arryn being that Jon is in the name.

Kinda like Jaehaerys only with Jon instead of Jae.

I'm guess Lyanna told Ned: "his name is Jonhaerys. Just call him Jon. But you must not tell Robert the truth. You know he'll kill him. You know he will."

Personally, I like the idea of "Jon" being in the true name somehow, one way or the other.

That way, we and everyone who knows him in Westeros have basically been calling him the correct name (or at least a derivation of it) this whole time.  It would also mean that Lyanna gave Jon the name that he carried and stuck with him in life (at least so far).

It's part of why I like "Aejon," too.

Archived