Arya and Edmure

I was hoping Edmure was going to be the one to send Arya to The Twins to kill Walder Frey. That would have been a little bit of redemption for him, but since Walder said he was their prisoner again, that's not how it went down. 

Tobias Menzies is such a fantastic actor. I loved the confrontation scene with him and Nicolaj. Seeing as how I think he and Arya might be teaming up for season 7, I'm looking forward to seeing him again. Love him on Outlander.

10 hours ago, Masha said:

Its not out of character, she is seen headed there both in the books, where she is killing people both for FM and for no big reasons (in the books she kills a NW deserter in Braavos, a jerk but otherwise normal guy.  The only reason is being NW deserter) and in the show (her last season finale kill wasn't exactly clean)

Jaime was never on her list, he wasn't there when her father was murdered as well as her mother, since she doesn't know about his role in Bran's "accident" she doesn't put him on her list.  She might have considered it, if he caught the snare that she gave him at the party, but he didn't and left soon after, while Freys were a priority on her list. She was thinking about it for sure, if you check out the scene again, when Jaime thought she was flirting, she was actually assessing him.

She might just hang around Riverlands - a la Lady Stoneheart style or perhaps join with BwB. 

She might have two goals - First she is taking care of her list, then it would mean her going to KL after Cersei, or she is going North and Frey's were just a nice pit stop on the way.

I'm not saying she's out of character for killing them - I'm saying the way she did it was out of character. Serving human pies, in my opinion, is too extreme for Arya at this point. I don't think she's that crazy yet. She's gone down a dark path, but she's not a psycho.

She killed the deserter because he was just that, a deserter. By killing him she was following the rules of the Starks. I think Martin had her kill him to show us that deep down, she's still a Stark.

And yeah, her killing Meryn Trant was a bit too brutal. Yeah, he killed Syrio, but honestly you would think she would have just slit his throat and moved on. She should have killed Walder like that, he was the one who killed her brother and mother.

On topic, though - The Hound and the BwB are all in the Riverlands, I think. I think it would be cool to see them team up and either take out the Freys and hold Riverrun with Edmure, or go to Winterfell.

11 hours ago, King Perkis said:

Talk about so underwhelming. That speech in the book, with the environment description and him dying, gave me goosebumps. I literally laughed during this scene when Pycelle punched that kid.

Pretty much, yeah. Really it made no sense for them to even kill Pycelle like that, not in the show. He was going to the Red Keep anyway, why not just let him die there?

The dialogue made no sense because as far as we know, there is no Aegon, and all of Cersei's enemies are gone, so she won't be paranoid about the murders like she will be in the books. Plus, it appears that Cersei ordered Pycelle's murder when she didn't in the books, so really, why not just blow him up with everyone else?

11 hours ago, Frimmel said:

She poisoned all of the Freys the night before at the feast or whenever (it might be days after the Lannisters left.) Slow acting poison so they all died in their sleep. She's the only one to be around to make Frey pies for Walder for breakfast. That's why the hall was empty. 

Was this shown in the show? Because if not, this is honeypotting. It's a cool explanation though.

If you're correct, then that would mean that Riverrun belongs to the Tullys once again. I kinda hope that she didn't do that, mainly because I want to see her fight them next season.

For those asking 'how did Arya learn to cook?'

1.  She spent months in Harrenhal as a serving girl. She was not assisting the kitchen maids, but she does visit Hot Pie often, and I'll bet anyone who spends 5 minutes with Hot Pie will know the basics of baking pies.
  2. In the books, she started out assisting the HoBaW cook, named Umma. She specifically thinks 'Hot Pie would have loved it here', meaning it was a cooking-friendly atmosphere. She assisted Umma when she was blind - meaning Arya may know how to bake a pie with her eyes closed.
  3. She wore a serving girl's face during her time at Twins. The show version of face-changing process might be different, but in the books, Arya gets some of the memories of the person whose face she is wearing. Since she took the face of a kitchen maid, she'd at least know some baking.

9 hours ago, Dracarys Stormborn said:

Was this shown in the show? Because if not, this is honeypotting. It's a cool explanation though.

If you're correct, then that would mean that Riverrun belongs to the Tullys once again. I kinda hope that she didn't do that, mainly because I want to see her fight them next season.

No it isn't in the show. Part of my complaint (despite rather enjoying the result) on Arya's trip to the The Twins is there is rather a lot left out. Before whenever we see Walder he is surrounded by people usually his children and grand-children. So many that he has to make sure that he's not hitting on his progeny when the pretty serving wench comes near. But there is no one around for what a forum poster must assume is a regularly-scheduled meal. It appeared to be dinner ("They were supposed to be here by midday.") 

Arya butchered two grown men and made pies of them. In a castle. Filled with servants and Walder's progeny. Lots of gaps in the narrative there. So I filled in the blanks in my own "head-canon." I see Arya having spent quite some time at The Twins being a fine servant of the many-faced god. 

9 minutes ago, Frimmel said:

No it isn't in the show. Part of my complaint (despite rather enjoying the result) on Arya's trip to the The Twins is there is rather a lot left out. Before whenever we see Walder he is surrounded by people usually his children and grand-children. So many that he has to make sure that he's not hitting on his progeny when the pretty serving wench comes near. But there is no one around for what a forum poster must assume is a regularly-scheduled meal. It appeared to be dinner ("They were supposed to be here by midday.") 

Arya butchered two grown men and made pies of them. In a castle. Filled with servants and Walder's progeny. Lots of gaps in the narrative there. So I filled in the blanks in my own "head-canon." I see Arya having spent quite some time at The Twins being a fine servant of the many-faced god. 

Not that much. Considering that they consider in-show time for 1 season = 1 year there, she spent at least good 6 months at HoBaW learning how to dismember human remains, she can probably do that with eyes closed and really quickly. Basically, all she has to do is kill both sons in some dark corridor, drag them to her hidey hole, quickly dismember them for the meat and dispose of remains. I figure it should probably take her no more than 3-4 hours tops, but if she is super-assassin - then 1 hour! Than she just piles meat on top (which without fingers, eyes and hands, looks like any other meat), goes to kitchen during the night and puts it there when everyone is just waking up and then claim that Walder wants his pies. She is probably also helping out a cook as assistant,  so cook might have made the crust and she "helped out" with the stuffing. I suspect there is more than one Frey pie there. 

11 minutes ago, dornishdragon said:

I think that Arya will not care about Edmure and will either go to Winterfell to join their brothers or in alternative to Kings Landing to kill Cersei. 

I'm personally waiting for the Arya and Hound reunion. Maybe also a link up with Pod and Brienne. So Brienne and The Hound get Arya to Winterfell. Maybe a stop to say "Hello" to Hot Pie.  

Maybe Arya will care about Edmure, a broken man, who does not know if his Frey wife was pregnant, and if he indeed has a son. They told him he has a son, and that he would be hurled/catapulted over the walls. Since he was forcibly estranged from his wife at the very first night of his wedding, why would he believe everything they told him?

Let's suppose that Arya would care for him, and releases him, what of it then? A broken man without any military experience and a lot of effing up (Robb was telling him off for his caricature strategies and thinning out of his forces). He is as good as a cupbearer and no one to be trusted again in the Riverlands. Who will back him up anyway, among the other Riverlords?

I'd like to see Arya camping for a while in the Frey household making sure she destroys all of them, if they are not already dead through poisoning or other methods.

On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 7:29 AM, Dracarys Stormborn said:

It's not really that she wouldn't know how to do it, it's the fact that she wouldn't really have time. Plus there was a whole kitchen staff she had to get around.

And I love Arya, but chopping two men up, baking them into a pie, and feeding them to their father is psychopathic behavior. There is no other way to describe it. A normal assassin would have just slit their throats and moved on. What she did was extreme. There is no excuse for this.

It's actually kind of funny because I was just arguing with a Sansa lover about Arya NOT being a psychopath before this episode came out, but unfortunately the show seems to be taking her down that route.

It's cool that they made a reference to the Rat Cook, but it's extremely out of character for Arya to do something like this.

I don't think its out of character at all. She has suffered intense tragedies. Witnessed immediate family die in horrific ways, seen torture up close and personal, killed people before she was a teenager, grew up on tales of the Rat Cook from old nan, trained as a super ninja assassin with the magic ability to change faces instantly, has the most "wolfs blood " of all the Stark children, and was raised in a culture on Vengeance and honor being intertwined. The punishment should fit the crime and the person that passes the sentence should swing the sword. I think this was better than the book version. I started a post very similar to this response, so I apologize if I'm being redundant. I love the Manderlys, but this was family bidness and the justice needed to be served by a Stark  of Winterfell. Not a Tully looking Stark of this Generation but the Starkest of the Starks. It needed to be the justice of Winter. It needed to be the Rat Cook 2.0 from a child of the North that understood the price for breaking guest right.

One of my favorite scenes from the entire 6 seasons of the show. In the context of the character, the times, the story, the world and the history of ASOIAF it was a the inevitable , complete conclusion that was needed. JMHO    

On 6/27/2016 at 6:39 AM, Dracarys Stormborn said:

In the time she baked the pies, no one found the bodies? No one was in the kitchen?

In my opinion, book references still need to make sense within the context of the show. They also gave Qyburn Varys's book dialogue from when he killed Kevan, though in the context of the show it really made no sense.

Having Arya do this was out of character. She's not this crazy.

But yeah, Arya probably shouldn't know how to cook lol. I suppose she picked up a few things when she was hanging out with Sandor. Still probably wouldn't know how to bake, though.

See I was one of those who was more like, "when did she learn to cook?"   I didn't have that much problem suspending my disbelief that she could have murdered the Frey guys somewhere brought back some mystery hunks and went from there.  It was a pretty small pie, I don't suppose the entirety of two bodies were in there.  She brings a couple pieces of special meat to the kitchens for his lordship's pie and no one is the wiser.  She slips a finger from her pocket under the crust at the last minute.  Could have dumped the rest of the bodies in the river, or hidden them in any number of places.

I saw the Frey pie as the show throwing book readers a bone.  It's a very satisfying scene in the books b/c you finally see unlikable characters getting a little bit of comeuppance.  And here's the thing, the person who organizes the pie in the books seems much more mentally balanced than Arya in general.  

On the topic of Edmure, I don't think that we're going to be seeing any more of him.  I don't even think we'll be in the Riverlands anymore after this.

Arya has never even met Edmure that we can see in the show, and I don't think that helping him set up a Tully Administration is really on her to-do list.

Beyond that, it's my understanding that the actor is a regular on another series, and I really don't see him coming back for more episodes.  With the show runners trimming so much fat, why would they suddenly have a plot line around Edmure?

On 6/27/2016 at 1:43 AM, Dracarys Stormborn said:

I'm assuming that Cersei will have to face rebels or something next season. It makes zero sense for her to pull a medieval 9/11, killing hundreds of civilians, as well as destroy their version of the Vatican, and just get away with it. Plus, the Tyrells, the Dornish, and Dany are coming for her. She may be too preoccupied to help the Freys.

The Brotherhood and the Hound, yeah. I forgot they were in the same area. They could also help bring Riverrun back into Tully hands.

An uprising in KL is highly possible. Olenna mentioned before that Highgarden provided a large share of the food to KL. Now she has thrown in with Team Dany. She took out a lot of immediate threats but she also declared war on a lot of people too. The Tyrell's and presumably all of their pledged houses are now against her. At best, Cersei has the Lannister army and possibly not even 100% of that to hold the seven kingdoms. She is literally surrounded by houses that want her ended. For all we know (and hopefully) her own brother will be against her. UnGregor is a badass, as the show has reminded us plenty of times, but I doubt he can single-handedly take on whole armies. I predict we're going to see KL starving and in riotous turmoil and when she realizes she can't play queen anymore she'll try to torch the rest of KL and that's when Jaime will step in...again. 

I think he is still in the show for reason. Maybe Arya release him, and then he will rules the frey and the tully, since his married with a frey. That should be a good thing to Jon, he will have a support another army to help if he needs, and he probable will. Arya should returns to winterfell, in her way maybe she finds Sandor cleagane and brotherwood.

The show is all about shock value over common sense, and the Frey Pie scene was a few things...It was a nod to book readers, and it was a way to get rid of the Freys in one swoop.

The show is all about "shock value" over common sense, and that simply is what this scene was all about.  It achieved it's two main points (see above), while providing that shock.  Logic and common sense does not exist in the show, and that's all I'm chalking the Frey Pie Incident up as.

As for Edmure, a part of me wants to think that somehow he'll be consolidated into The Blackfishes storyline, meaning Arya may rescue him and he'll join up with her (and maybe the BwB?) and head North.  But a part of me also thinks the show won't ever mention him again and will move on.  It can go either way.

Archived