What will Arya do now

Marada78

@DutchArya

I know that Robert's Small Council discusses the prospect of hiring a Faceless Man. But how do you know that the people had a deep insight into the workings of the House of Black and White?

AFfC/ADwD present the workings of the Faceless Men as a quasi-religious act. I doubt that they just kill for coin. But I could be wrong. Again, if that was the case people would call upon their help much more often.

For instance, when the war broke out Tywin would have given some guy a list with people he wanted dead and a lot of gold, and that guy would then have gone to Braavos to win the war for him there.

Jaqen has some sort of mission of his own. He is presently at Oldtown, pretending to be Pate. Most likely he is after that book Tyrion remembered in ADwD, 'Blood and Fire or The Death of the Dragons'. No idea what for but the obvious idea is to find out how to best kill dragons (and Daenerys in the process, too).

Either just because the Braavosi loath dragons or because the Iron Bank and the House of Black and White are two sides of the same coin, so to speak, and now Stannis has struck a deal with the Iron Bank making it inconvenient for the Iron Bank that Dany interfere with Stannis' ascension.

And thus Arya could enter the main plot again. As an assassin sent to kill Daenerys Targaryen and/or her dragons.

I honestly hated what the last episode did to her character.  The rest of the session was pointless and did absolutely nothing for her, but it didn't so actively destroy who she was as that last episode.  Having her grinning like a sociopath as she slits a man's throat and bakes his sons into pies?  Yeah I have a problem with that.  I don't care that Lord Manderly does it in the book.  I don't care that Catelyn kills a bunch of (innocent) Freys in the books.  That's to be expected of them and you aren't supposed to sympathize with them.  They're out for revenge and more than a little fucked up.

Arya too is out for revenge, but hers is a story where you're supposed to feel disturbed by how comfortable she's become with violence.  And she actually has a (Stark) conscience that exerts itself and shows that she's not some freak that enjoys death.  It shows that there's a part of her identity and her humanity that aspires to MORE than just revenge and seeks love, acceptance, and family.  The one time she kills a person on her list emotionally, she practically has a breakdown, because that's how a child realistically reacts to killing people.  Having her premeditate a way to hunt down each Frey son and then cook them into pies just so she can gloat over Walder before killing him is... well it's monstrous.  Take all your feelings of just retribution for the Red Wedding out of the picture, this is some Hannibal Lecter, Saw III, Jeffrey Dahmer shit-- and the girl carrying it out is the same one who used to chase cats and have sweet talks with Jon and her father.  While she was always a fighter and could realistically become a very good killer, this crosses the line into straight-up serial killer territory.  

So what's to become of show Arya?  Hopefully prison.  Or the White Walkers will come and kill everyone. I don't feel any commonality with her.  I don't relate or understand her.  I don't like who this girl has become.  She's a totally unrecognizable monster.  If there's any good that could come of her story in the show, it'll be of her getting thrown into a black cell.  I honestly could no longer care if she meets her brother and sister because she'd probably skin their faces with needle and eat their remains.  

But who knows, her and Sansa both sold their humanity and every grain of Stark decency their father tried to teach, so  now have that in common.  Maybe they'll team up with the likes of Ellaria Sand, Olenna Tyrell, Daenerys Targayan, and all the other 'boss ass individuals' to subjugate the entirety of Westeros through terror and mass murder, all the while sporting blank faces or glib smirks as men scream and die in the background... and the cast and audience will be like "yeah feminism." while the rest of us find the nearest bag to void our stomachs into.  

3 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

@DutchArya

I know that Robert's Small Council discusses the prospect of hiring a Faceless Man. But how do you know that the people had a deep insight into the workings of the House of Black and White?

AFfC/ADwD present the workings of the Faceless Men as a quasi-religious act. I doubt that they just kill for coin. But I could be wrong. Again, if that was the case people would call upon their help much more often.

For instance, when the war broke out Tywin would have given some guy a list with people he wanted dead and a lot of gold, and that guy would then have gone to Braavos to win the war for him there.

Jaqen has some sort of mission of his own. He is presently at Oldtown, pretending to be Pate. Most likely he is after that book Tyrion remembered in ADwD, 'Blood and Fire or The Death of the Dragons'. No idea what for but the obvious idea is to find out how to best kill dragons (and Daenerys in the process, too).

Either just because the Braavosi loath dragons or because the Iron Bank and the House of Black and White are two sides of the same coin, so to speak, and now Stannis has struck a deal with the Iron Bank making it inconvenient for the Iron Bank that Dany interfere with Stannis' ascension.

And thus Arya could enter the main plot again. As an assassin sent to kill Daenerys Targaryen and/or her dragons.

The price is relative to the person petitioning the FM. And they might not accept just coin and ask for something else. Littlefinger could have used FM and would make his meddling a lot of easier. Why hasn't he? He specially said FM were far too expensive. 

Yes, I agree with your train of thought regard Jaqen's mission with the Book on dragons. d&d included the story of the First Faceless Men of Old Valyria and The Doom that befell them. What side would the FM be on with the WW? Their religion or belief system would find the NK's action complete abhorrent. Perhaps once Dany uses the Dragons in the War for Dawn she will need to be eliminated? And her Dragons. 

The actor that plays Jaqen specifically mentioned matters concerning the IT. 

d&d have simplified Arya's storyline for TV viewing. 

I'm hoping a reunion with her siblings would help to return some humanity in her. I do agree that the look she gave after killing Walder Frey made it seem like her character was continuing down a darker path. But moments like the ones with Lady Crane showed how she wasn't completely gone. There's still hope for her.

2 hours ago, Apathetic Onlooker said:

I honestly hated what the last episode did to her character.  The rest of the session was pointless and did absolutely nothing for her, but it didn't so actively destroy who she was as that last episode.  Having her grinning like a sociopath as she slits a man's throat and bakes his sons into pies?  Yeah I have a problem with that.  I don't care that Lord Manderly does it in the book.  I don't care that Catelyn kills a bunch of (innocent) Freys in the books.  That's to be expected of them and you aren't supposed to sympathize with them.  They're out for revenge and more than a little fucked up.

Arya too is out for revenge, but hers is a story where you're supposed to feel disturbed by how comfortable she's become with violence.  And she actually has a (Stark) conscience that exerts itself and shows that she's not some freak that enjoys death.  It shows that there's a part of her identity and her humanity that aspires to MORE than just revenge and seeks love, acceptance, and family.  The one time she kills a person on her list emotionally, she practically has a breakdown, because that's how a child realistically reacts to killing people.  Having her premeditate a way to hunt down each Frey son and then cook them into pies just so she can gloat over Walder before killing him is... well it's monstrous.  Take all your feelings of just retribution for the Red Wedding out of the picture, this is some Hannibal Lecter, Saw III, Jeffrey Dahmer shit-- and the girl carrying it out is the same one who used to chase cats and have sweet talks with Jon and her father.  While she was always a fighter and could realistically become a very good killer, this crosses the line into straight-up serial killer territory.  

So what's to become of show Arya?  Hopefully prison.  Or the White Walkers will come and kill everyone. I don't feel any commonality with her.  I don't relate or understand her.  I don't like who this girl has become.  She's a totally unrecognizable monster.  If there's any good that could come of her story in the show, it'll be of her getting thrown into a black cell.  I honestly could no longer care if she meets her brother and sister because she'd probably skin their faces with needle and eat their remains.  

But who knows, her and Sansa both sold their humanity and every grain of Stark decency their father tried to teach, so  now have that in common.  Maybe they'll team up with the likes of Ellaria Sand, Olenna Tyrell, Daenerys Targayan, and all the other 'boss ass individuals' to subjugate the entirety of Westeros through terror and mass murder, all the while sporting blank faces or glib smirks as men scream and die in the background... and the cast and audience will be like "yeah feminism." while the rest of us find the nearest bag to void our stomachs into.  

Maybe Sansa is portrayed more damaged than she is in the books, but frankly speaking, when I was reading Arya exploits in Braavos I was extremely disturbed by her. And I felt her behavior this episode where she was headed in the books too. Frey pie might have been too much, but D&D felt they had to give this shout-out to book fans out there. But her comfort level with violence and murder, well, its pretty much the same in the books. In fact, in books its a bit more distributing to me, the way she matter-of-factly she goes about it. At least here she shows some feelings, in the books, she goes - another day another body

Archived