Is Tyrion in love with Daenerys?

I don't see it as romantic love; as he said, she's the first person who's made him believe in anything. As dissolute as Tyrion's years have been with his family, I'm not surprised by his reaction to Daenerys - finally, someone needs and relies on him.Looking forward to how their partnership continues. And I do believe it will be a partnership.

I think he definitely admires her and cares about her. I don't know if it's necessarily romantic or will become it but I'm sure if she proposed a marriage alliance to him I doubt he'd say no. But I also got the vibe coming off Dany too and she does need to marry someone from an important house soo maybe.... Or she could be Jaimes rebound if we don't want the Jon/Dany incest thing.

No, I really don't think do.

Unless GRRM decided to recreate the old 1991 love triangle Jon-Tyrion-Arya triangle as Jon-Tyrion-Daenerys and D&D know that (I find it unlikely....some people assume it's gonna go that way, some others think it will be Sansa/Jon/Tyrion... I think - or at least I hope - the whole 'love triangle' thing was dropped).

At the most, that moment foreshadows her next marriage (if it ever happens...).

I think he admires her, respects her, he is sad for her because he's been where she is (lost love, regrets about your own behavior, relationships gone wrong, how politics rules in the matters of the heart etc), he is deeply moved by her gesture because after a whole life of 'you're not whorty', he finally 'belongs' somewhere and has found a reason to believe in himself. He has got validation, the only thing he ever wanted and his father always denied it.

Queen Daenerys (Targ) - Hand Tyrion (Lannister)

mirrors

King Aerys (Targ) - Hand Tywin (Lannister)

as the most symbolic manifestation of 'we'll be doing better than our fathers did'. They're not gonna ruin it with some cheesy SJorah stuff. That's frienship and bond there..just that.

Btw, the way Tyrion is clearly meant to follow his father's steps in politics makes me twice convinced, I've always been for many reasons, that he's not a Targ (a dragon rider, yes.. not a Targ).

Also, a marriage to him would be useless because house Lannister - better: the (surviving, after Cesei dies) Lannister leader, aka Tyrion hislef (and potentially Jamie: if he lives, he will be on Tyrion's side) - is already on her side: she needs to find allies within other houses.

I thought I was the only one who saw it. I thought I was just going mad. I actually thought for a second, there would actually be a kiss there.

On the other hand, it was subtle enough that everybody can interpret it for themselves. It wasn't like with Ser Jorah of the Friendzone who was practically drooling and wanking over a pair of her knickers. The subtlety was nice and everybody can now speculate if they are actually going there during season seven.

I wouldn't really mind if they (gradually) went the Tyrion/Dany romance tour because I'd like it far more than Dany/Jon or Tyrion/Sansa. I find the former creepy as fuck. I get it, they never knew each other and there is no real age difference but it's still creepy. They are related, let's not start another vicious circle. Dany already exhibits some Targaryen madness, let's not make it worse by starting another round of inbreeding and conceive another Aerys, or Viserys or even another Rhaegar, Prince of Melancholy.

I think both sides make sense. If it stays platonic, then this situation mirrors the Aerys/Tywin situation. However, if they do decide to "hook them up", then it'd be somewhat ironic. The child Tywin hates the most ends up with a Targaryen monarch, obviously assuming Dany wins in the end, while Cersei ends up a semi-mad dictator, crowning herself after all three of her children die. It'd be a last fuck you to Tywin from Tyrion (and Dany).

50 minutes ago, GeorgeIAF said:

I actually didn't catch it ... i thought he felt overwhelmed with emotion when Dany made him her Hand.

The look he gives her is before she names him hand. It's after she gets up and he almost sighs and snaps out of a certain stare.

On 28. 6. 2016 at 10:39 AM, watcher of the night said:

Well everyone is in love with Daenerys, that is a part of being Dany Sue.

It's kinda boring. Like some magical spell around her. If it every comes to Jon and Daeny...expect it to be the same but let's hope no love triangles or multiple marriages.

no, tyrion is not interested in dany. dany is boring and he considers her targaryen style crazy. tyrion gambles by putting his bet on her and doesnt have many alternatives anyway. if the lannisters were more powerful, he would be just as good off to be fighting her. tyrion is married to sansa and next time he sees her in her black dress with lotsa eyeshadow he will fall in love with his wife.

On June 27, 2016 at 1:45 PM, aceluby said:

Nope, nothing there outside of admiration and a sense of finally belonging.  It's all he's really wanted.

Exactly.  They don't need another advisor to the queen falling in love with her.  

Unless it's the platonic love of a loyal subject toward their benevolent ruler.  

On June 27, 2016 at 2:04 PM, Travis said:

I think I read somewhere on here where someone thinks Sansa and Tyrion are still married. Technically they never consummated their marriage, so neither one can hold the other to it. Plus Sansa married a Bolton and that marriage was consummated.

I think that will only be valid in the books since it never muddied the waters with that Bolton marriage.  

I very much believe that their marriage, in the books, will come into play somehow.  I want to see Tyrion as Lord of Casterly Rock, and Sansa as his lady.  Tywin wanted that marriage so he could have a Lannister in Winterfell, and somewhere to send Tyrion so he's out of the way.  

4 hours ago, Lurid Jester said:

I think that will only be valid in the books since it never muddied the waters with that Bolton marriage.  

I very much believe that their marriage, in the books, will come into play somehow.  I want to see Tyrion as Lord of Casterly Rock, and Sansa as his lady.  Tywin wanted that marriage so he could have a Lannister in Winterfell, and somewhere to send Tyrion so he's out of the way.  

That would be a nice story option, and if Sansa and Tyrion wish to be married they could simply marry again to quench all doubt. But in the end they might both be second choice to each other, Sansa's second choice to staying alone and Tyrion's second choice to Dany.  Though I'd boil my hopes down to : I want to see Tyrion as happy as these books allow any character to be in the end.

But in the show Tyrion is no longer heir to Casterly Rock. Jaime got the tin handshake, he was kicked out of the Kingsguard and again is the oldest son and heir of Tywin Lannister, at least so far.

2 hours ago, Woman of War said:

That would be a nice story option, and if Sansa and Tyrion wish to be married they could simply marry again to quench all doubt. But in the end they might both be second choice to each other, Sansa's second choice to staying alone and Tyrion's second choice to Dany.  Though I'd boil my hopes down to : I want to see Tyrion as happy as these books allow any character to be in the end.

But in the show Tyrion is no longer heir to Casterly Rock. Jaime got the tin handshake, he was kicked out of the Kingsguard and again is the oldest son and heir of Tywin Lannister, at least so far.

Okay, picking on this point is straying a bit from the main topic but yeah, interesting that in the show Jaime, at least in theory is now the heir to Casterly Rock, which to me kind of means we got confirmation Jaime is going to kick the bucket... (okay not exactly but really I cannot at all picture him as Lord or Casterly Rock and that has been too much of a bone of contention with Tyrion so I think he has to end up with it).  In any event, there have been too many allusions to Cersei and him coming into the world together and leaving the world together etc although I have to say I will be annoyed if this happens before Tyrion and him meet again and he is forgiven (the Tysha thing) and Brienne and his story has some sort of closure but I have to say it is not looking good and yeah, the mere fact that the show now has him eligible for Casterly Rock... oh dear...

As for the main topic, lol, yes for a minute I also thought they were going to kiss (Tyrion/Dany) as in passionately but I think that was just the show runners wanting to keep us on our toes.  I reckon as most people have said that this is just a working relationship which has developed into a solid friendship and they both need each other and complement each other in this regard but no, he is not her type and he knows it.  I'm sure if she threw herself at him he probably wouldn't say no but that would mess things about and is not going to happen I don't think.  I think the way that scene was played was almost a bit of banter.  However, George did say at some point (can't remember the exact time or place) that he was considering pairing her up again so they are obviously building up to something but definitely my wager is not on Tyrion.

On 27-6-2016 at 7:20 PM, TickTak7 said:

I don't think it was "love" that Tyrion was showing. 

More admiration. 

Tyrion killed his father, killed his beloved, and then fled from everything he had ever known, and became a depressed drunk. 

Until Dany gave him reason to believe and hope again. 

I think that's what we saw, rather than actual feelings towards her. 

I could be wrong though, but that's how I interpreted that scene. 

Same

He is not in love with her. In fact, upon my second watch, it looked more to me like Dany was giving Tyrion eyes. But it seems to me that Dany almost has to marry Jon, after she legitimizes him as a Targaryan. How else would she be able to pass on the family legacy and name, and produce Targaryan heirs instead of Stark or Lannister heirs, since the name is passed down by the father?

Archived