Let's Discuss Arya's Pie Baking Logistics

Mista C

The Frey Pie thing was a nod to the Book Readers an "easy out" for Arya to kill off the Freys, and follows the same logic the TV Show always seems to follow....

....and that is having NO logic.

It made no sense what-so-ever.

5 minutes ago, Count Winter said:

While arriving in Westeros she would by now know that part of her family is still alive. Why not meet up with them first?

Huh?

How would she have any clue where her family were, who was alive, and who wasn't!?

More likely, she had no idea where anyone was, friend or foe, save for Walder Frey at the Twins - which is why she went there. 

This made perfect sense, and was one of the main reasons why everyone was predicting an Arya moment when we saw Freys in the ep 10 trailer. 

Kill the sons

Lop off a finger or two

Stick finger(s) into an already baked pie

Te'll Walder a bs story right before you slice his throat 

It's really not that difficult. I blame GRRM. If this series had been finished years ago the fandom wouldn't have been conditioned into over thinking everything. 

I think you need to realize that she was moving around with the level of stealth that equates to pretty much being invisible.  

Also keep in mind they were having a night of revels and she was a cute serving girl......all she would need is basically a six hour window to accomplish this.

Here's my thoughts on how it could happen: she was probably there for at least a week to figure things out. I don't see much of an issue with her finding a way to kill the two Freys without anyone seeing. 

She can put on anyone's face so why not a bakers son/daughter? Stash the bodies somewhere (sewers?) and take pie ingredients from kitchens. Cut meat and prepare the pie, bring pie to kitchens with someone from the kitchens face on. Bake the pie then serve it. 

3 minutes ago, Zoo_Dane said:

Here's my thoughts on how it could happen: she was probably there for at least a week to figure things out. I don't see much of an issue with her finding a way to kill the two Freys without anyone seeing. 

She can put on anyone's face so why not a bakers son/daughter? Stash the bodies somewhere (sewers?) and take pie ingredients from kitchens. Cut meat and prepare the pie, bring pie to kitchens with someone from the kitchens face on. Bake the pie then serve it. 

yeah exactly!!! I mean the girl can steal faces and use glamours now.....I don't think moving stealth is hard for her. 

13 minutes ago, Aryakills said:

Kill the sons

Lop off a finger or two

Stick finger(s) into an already baked pie

Te'll Walder a bs story right before you slice his throat 

It's really not that difficult. I blame GRRM. If this series had been finished years ago the fandom wouldn't have been conditioned into over thinking everything. 

Why? What is the point of telling such a bull shit story? Who does it help?

6 minutes ago, Zoo_Dane said:

But you don't answer what was the point of all this? Manderly did it because it was his only way of getting back at the Freys. He had no other recourse. The murders happened in his own house and he had plenty of time for the logistics. Arya had no reason to do something so convoluted. 

40 minutes ago, TickTak7 said:

Huh?

How would she have any clue where her family were, who was alive, and who wasn't!?

More likely, she had no idea where anyone was, friend or foe, save for Walder Frey at the Twins - which is why she went there. 

This made perfect sense, and was one of the main reasons why everyone was predicting an Arya moment when we saw Freys in the ep 10 trailer. 

Intelligence is one if the assets of a good assassin, isn't it. She sails to Westeros, talks to people etc. Couldn't be too hard to find out...

Just now, Banjo said:

But you don't answer what was the point of all this? Manderly did it because it was his only way of getting back at the Freys. He had no other recourse. The murders happened in his own house and he had plenty of time for the logistics. Arya had no reason to do something so convoluted. 

I was just commenting on the OP not seeing how Arya would be logistically capable of doing such a thing. 

Arya probably did it in part to fulfill the pie baking Manderly does in the books.

Walder killed her brother and mother and thousands loyal to her family. I don't think it's that crazy that she wants more retribution than a simple stabbing. She killed a couple Freys close to Walder so he could feel how she did losing her brother and mother. She told him in a very shocking way - the pies which again the idea likely came from the books - to put some fear and anger into him so he could fully understand the gravity of the situation, the fall of his house, and his impending doom. 

I find it hard to think of a reason she wouldn't want to kill Walder Frey or other Freys. Of course the pie could be considered over the top but I don't think Arya is anywhere close to an innocent little girl. 

1 minute ago, aryagonnakill#2 said:

My question is did she kill the entire castle?  Just because she killed 2 people wouldn't mean the entire dining hall would be empty, he's got 40 other family members.

More like 100 other family members, if count grandchildren and great-grandchildren and even they have some children.

4 hours ago, Mista C said:

1.  Infiltrates the Frey's castle.

2.  Kills two (at least) Frey's.

3.  Dismembers them for their meat.

4.  Brings meat to the kitchen.

5.  Assembles other pie ingredients.

6.  Prepares and bakes pie.

7.  Serves pie to Walder Frey, who is completely alone in his dining hall.

8.  Kills Walder Frey.

9. Escapes the Frey's castle.

So I'm having a very hard time with numbers 2-6.  She had to kill both Frey's without anyone seeing.  Then she had to bring both of their bodies somewhere secret where she could dismember the bodies and obtain their meat without anyone interrupting her.  Then she had to get their meat down to the kitchen somehow.  Then she had to assemble the ingredients, prepare the pie and bake the pie, all while in the company of the regular Frey kitchen staff, who were not at all concerned that there was a stranger using their kitchen to assemble and bake pies.  Cool scene, but logistically it just does not work.  Am I missing anything?

Also, it was a REALLY well made pie. If you bake (or watch any baking shows) meat pies are very tricky to make properly, and that was an A+ meatpie.

If I had to guess, the script called for a scene with Hotpie in the Frey kitchen, but they weren't able to book the actor, or the scene was cut for time/pacing. Arya having an ally already working in the kitchens solves many of the problems you list, plus Hotpie was already on his way to becoming a competent baker when we left his character behind years ago, explaining why the pie looked so professional.

Problems 3 and 4 are resolved simply with the understanding that she only had to bring enough of their meat to make the pie; she didn't have to quarter them and butcher them entirely, just carve a pound off of each of them.

My biggest problems with this whole setup: where did she get the face? Did she kill some random serving girl and harvest her skin? Did she steal a collection of the faces from the Facecave? If the face if from the Facecave, why would it help her sneak into the Twins? If a random, unknown person can wander into the kitchens at the Twins and fiddle around with their Lord's food, why did Arya even NEED a face? The Freys have no reason to know what she looks like.

And can she actually HARVEST the faces now? Is it really as simple as skinning a face? Isn't there some magic someplace? Was she ever taught to do this?

5 hours ago, Mista C said:

1.  Infiltrates the Frey's castle.

2.  Kills two (at least) Frey's.

3.  Dismembers them for their meat.

4.  Brings meat to the kitchen.

5.  Assembles other pie ingredients.

6.  Prepares and bakes pie.

7.  Serves pie to Walder Frey, who is completely alone in his dining hall.

8.  Kills Walder Frey.

9. Escapes the Frey's castle.

So I'm having a very hard time with numbers 2-6.  She had to kill both Frey's without anyone seeing.  Then she had to bring both of their bodies somewhere secret where she could dismember the bodies and obtain their meat without anyone interrupting her.  Then she had to get their meat down to the kitchen somehow.  Then she had to assemble the ingredients, prepare the pie and bake the pie, all while in the company of the regular Frey kitchen staff, who were not at all concerned that there was a stranger using their kitchen to assemble and bake pies.  Cool scene, but logistically it just does not work.  Am I missing anything?

Has anyone seen Hot Pie around lately?  Maybe she had an accomplice!

:leaving: 

3 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

It just sucks. I mean, she didn't even savor the moment. Walder didn't even eat his own sons. I mean, anyone doing a thing like that must have the mind and taste of Wyman Manderly. You have to enjoy the taste of the Frey meat yourself and you must enjoy watching others do it without realizing what they are eating (like Walda and Roose).

That is the fun of it. What the show did is just crap. Complete crap.

He had already eaten one piece of pie

Archived