Lyanna casting appreciation

2 hours ago, Masha said:

Well considering we didn't see her at her best, she was basically weak and dying and could barely whisper. Its kind of hard to be wild and fiery when you are bleeding out and are desperate to protect your newborn child.

Same for the beauty

to be honest, if you are supposed to be like helen of westeros, even when you are weak, frail, bleeding out and desperate, you should still look very beautiful, or even more beautiful. 

that is how legendary beauty works. 

helen was still said as a goddess when she was very old. plus she is a mother when she left with Paris. 

about wildness, i am not saying she should be strong like a bull in her birth bed, but there should be a wildness in her facical features and eyes if they want to make this person as lyanna stark. 

I got the Lyanna vibe from kid!Lyanna, not the grown up version.
Maybe it had to do with her saying she didn't want to die. I always imagined she was clinging to life because she  was worried about her son's safety, hence why she died only when Ned gave her his word. Meaning she was a tough girl, not swallowed up by the fear of death.

3 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

Maybe then they should have shown a flashback not of the pointless tween Lyanna, but of this Lyanna acting beautiful and wild and fiery, prior to her the TOJ death scene, in which she did not appear beautiful at all even considering she was supposed to be dying.

Not a big fan of the show in the later seasons but I actually appreciate that they went for realism in Lyanna's death scene - a scared, desperate teenager, rather than a bullshit Hollywood death scene of pale, ethereal beauty. 

On 6/27/2016 at 4:21 PM, Ser Yorick Ampersand said:

She looked like Daenerys to me. I even thought for a second they would go with Daenerys was born at TOJ theory.

I was disappointed she didn't look beautifull. Not trying to be mean but her beauty is supposed to be legendary.  

- but I understand they went for the Maisie look-alike and Maisie doesn't look anything like book Arya or book type Stark.

The whole scene to me seemed lousy and underwhelming so... bummer.

Consider the circumstances.  Lyanna had just given birth, not exactly a high point in physical beauty for a woman.  She was swollen and exhausted.  I've attended the birth of all my children and I can attest to the differences, especially after birth.  The actress chosen for the role is very pretty and does look a lot like Arya.  I think she was good choice.  Although I agree she did look a lot like Daenerys as well.  However consider that people tend to be attracted to people who have similar faces to themselves.  So if Rhaegar at least looked some what like his yet unborn sister Daenerys, then it makes sense he would be attracted to Lyanna (or the actress who portrays her).  With her pale skin and dark hair I'd imagine she'd seem very striking and mysterious to him.  

8 hours ago, Nami said:

I got the Lyanna vibe from kid!Lyanna, not the grown up version.
Maybe it had to do with her saying she didn't want to die. I always imagined she was clinging to life because she  was worried about her son's safety, hence why she died only when Ned gave her his word.

come on, this is just show. it is never mentioned anywhere that lyanna looks like Dany according to the canon. it is definitely not because lyanna looks like himself or dany or his mom that rhaegar chose to run off with her. 

6 hours ago, Bazil said:

Consider the circumstances.  Lyanna had just given birth, not exactly a high point in physical beauty for a woman.  She was swollen and exhausted.  I've attended the birth of all my children and I can attest to the differences, especially after birth.  The actress chosen for the role is very pretty and does look a lot like Arya.  I think she was good choice.  Although I agree she did look a lot like Daenerys as well.  However consider that people tend to be attracted to people who have similar faces to themselves.  So if Rhaegar at least looked some what like his yet unborn sister Daenerys, then it makes sense he would be attracted to Lyanna (or the actress who portrays her).  With her pale skin and dark hair I'd imagine she'd seem very striking and mysterious to him.  

Lol I agree. I have never met any women who look pretty and ethereal after giving birth. I mean that include my friends, my aunts, my sisters... if they look pretty in that moment I'd think they're fake lol

Lyanna was described as wild beauty and charming, not more beautiful than Cersei so we should not expect the traditional kind of beauty. She looks like Jon and Arya in the show, so it matters. With make up and proper dress she will be lovely enough.

14 hours ago, Chib said:

Lol I agree. I have never met any women who look pretty and ethereal after giving birth. I mean that include my friends, my aunts, my sisters... if they look pretty in that moment I'd think they're fake lol

Lyanna was described as wild beauty and charming, not more beautiful than Cersei so we should not expect the traditional kind of beauty. She looks like Jon and Arya in the show, so it matters. With make up and proper dress she will be lovely enough.

the point is lyanna is helen of westeros whose beauty caused a national war and destroyed a 300-year dynasty. she is not the regular woman we met in daily life. 

briefly, she is goddess of that world and goddess should still look very beautiful before death. (and she is only 16 at death by the way). 

1 hour ago, purple-eyes said:

the point is lyanna is helen of westeros whose beauty caused a national war and destroyed a 300-year dynasty. she is not the regular woman we met in daily life. 

briefly, she is goddess of that world and goddess should still look very beautiful before death. (and she is only 16 at death by the way). 

Helen of Troy was the daughter of Zeus, the ultimate in good genetics. Lyanna Stark was the daughter of grim faced northerners. A more apt comparison would be Cleopatra or Anne Boleyn, neither of whom are believed to have been beautiful at all but who had no trouble attracting powerful men or shaking the world they lived in to its foundations.  

1 hour ago, Wall Flower said:

Helen of Troy was the daughter of Zeus, the ultimate in good genetics. Lyanna Stark was the daughter of grim faced northerners. A more apt comparison would be Cleopatra or Anne Boleyn, neither of whom are believed to have been beautiful at all but who had no trouble attracting powerful men or shaking the world they lived in to its foundations.  

lyanna is different from cleopatra or anne. actually people said, as you mentioned, they are not beautiful. but everybody said lyanna is a great beauty. nobody said she is not beautiful. 

1 hour ago, Wall Flower said:

lyanna is different from cleopatra or anne. actually people said, as you mentioned, they are not beautiful. but everybody said lyanna is a great beauty. nobody said she is not beautiful. 

On 6/27/2016 at 10:26 PM, Wall Flower said:

I rather like the fact that in the other show I've seen her in (the Fall) she played a teenage girl with a very wild streak and a dangerous attraction for a married man.

The guy who plays roose bolton has a small roll in the first season of the fall as well. I love that guys nose! Seriously, it's a great nose.

On 27/06/2016 at 10:21 PM, Ser Yorick Ampersand said:

I was disappointed she didn't look beautifull. Not trying to be mean but her beauty is supposed to be legendary.  

Uh isn't Daenerys supposed to be the most beautifu woman in the world in the books? Well I find Emilia Clarke really average and show Dany is far from being the most attractive woman in the show.

Things like that don't really matter much imo.

I thought she looked like Emilia Clarke too. At my eyes they're both really beautiful girls, so I appreciated the choice!

In one of A Game of Thrones chapter Ned says Lyanna was beautiful and that he sees her in Arya and in that moment Arya thinks no one has ever told her that she is beautiful. In other PoVs where Lyanna is mentioned maybe her beauty is underestimated, but it's pretty obvious since Cersei, at time of her marriage with Robert, was considered the most beautiful lady of the seven kingdoms. 

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, no matter how cheesy that sounds. Cersei is supposed to be one of the greatest beauties of Westeros but I think Lena Headey is below average. But I'm still happy they choose someone who can act the part rather than some wooden supermodel. I don't get why people have a problem specifically with Lyanna's features and eye color either, when 90% of the actor's features and eye colors don't match their book characters. None of the Stark children in the show have grey eyes. They have brown and blue.

3 hours ago, GhostNymeria said:

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, no matter how cheesy that sounds. Cersei is supposed to be one of the greatest beauties of Westeros but I think Lena Headey is below average. But I'm still happy they choose someone who can act the part rather than some wooden supermodel. I don't get why people have a problem specifically with Lyanna's features and eye color either, when 90% of the actor's features and eye colors don't match their book characters. None of the Stark children in the show have grey eyes. They have brown and blue.

Lena Headey is very beautiful when she was young.

I guess they chose her because Cersei was already a mid-aged mother of three children in the current time.

I do not have any problem with Lyanna's hair or eye color.

But this actress can not remind me of the wild beauty whom Rhaegar publicly shamed and abandoned his wife and later raised a bloody war and died for.

I thought she was beautiful in the scene and captured exactly the spirit of Lyanna from the books.  I don't know why people are complaining she wasn't a wild beauty - she was dying in the birthing bed, yet still managed to be forceful and strong with her brother.  That shows she had courage and determination.  And the actress looked lovely, despite being sweaty and bloody and fevered.

I just loved the whole scene and the segue into Jon's King in the North scene.  Very emotional.

On 6/29/2016 at 6:47 AM, Bazil said:

The problem is not that she must look beautiful in bed after just giving birth...

But that she has no facial features like good jaws (naturally look like a wild beauty) or expressive (dont know if thats the word for what I meant) eyes (to seem  wild. Thats how arya pulls it off)

This actress looked like a chubby kid whose cheeks you wanted to pinch. Lol.

She seemed soft in apperence itself solely based on looks. Sonja in Underworld (who is not at all attractivr) or KatieMc Grath have that wild appearences solely based on looks. I havent watched the perform much.

In the show they have never mentioned Arya resembling Lyanna. Do no need to cast based on that.

Also, plump children sometimes grow up to be beautiful women and thin down. So they need not make her chubby just to match the younger Lyanna.

Archived