Tyrion + Sansa potentially Reunite

If I was writing a character driven story most definitely Sansa would have a great appreciation for Tyrion's abilities.  Mature Sansa would not be susceptible to the Hound and be much more likely to agree to a dynastic marriage to someone whose charater she could admire. 

Arya and the Hound could work. I hope she doesn't get married off to SweetRobin.

7 hours ago, sweetsunray said:

That is absolutely not the case with Sansa's line to Tyrion. It very much fits the whole context of the scene and is said as a conclusion.

GRRM also revisits that...

Spoiler

He wants me to kneel... It was not supposed to be this way... She had dreamed of her wedding a thousand times, and always she had pictured how her betrothed would stand behind her tall and strong...

"I am malformed, scarred, and small, but when the candles are blown out, I am made no worse than other men."...

When he hopped up on the bed and put his hand on her breast, Sansa could not help but shudder...

She stared at the stunted legs, the swollen brutish brow, the green eye and the black one, the raw stump of his nose... Even his manhood was ugly, thick and veined, with a bulbous purple head...

It took all the courage that was in her to look in those mismatched eyes and say, "And if I never want you to, my lord?"

His mouth jerked as if she had slapped him. "Never?"

Her neck was so tight she could scarcely nod.

The dyer had done a poor job with the leather, though; the thing was a mottled pink and white, with a bulbous head the color of a plum...

"We were meant to be together."... "Only when I'm on my knees"...

"But I am formed of darker stuff, of bones and blood and clay, twisted into this rude shape you see before you."

With that, he grabbed at her chest, fumbling for a nipple. "You have no titties. How can I rape a girl with no titties?"

She caught his nose between her thumb and forefinger and twisted. "You'll have no nose until you get your hands off me."

"Owwwww," the dwarf squealed, releasing her.

"I'll grow titties in a year or two." Mercy rose, to tower over the little man. "But you'll never grow another nose. You think of that, before you touch me there."

4 hours ago, Woman of War said:

Actually the biggest foreshadowing is "and what if I never want?" From Sansa to Tyrion in their wedding night.

That cries out aloud that some day she will want. This rhetorical question has been kept by the series, I am quite sure that we are supposed to remember that. Dislike can be expressed in many ways in a movie but this is an iconic phrase imo.

But more important to me are the historical references Elisabetta Duo has so well explained in this thread: The marriage of Elizabeth of York - her little brothers were those poor princes in the Tower, who disappeared - and Henry VII, the last survivor of House Lancaster. This marriage ended the War of the Roses. It's earlier in this thread.

These two were  willing to marry since they were very much aware that this act could end the war. They had no doubt serious emotional obstacles to overcome before their marriage turned out relatively successful.

This might be the case with Tyrion and Sansa as well. A painful past, emotional ties that cannot be forgotten and yet the willingness to look forward and to see each other as option. Basically the same situation like Cat and Ned: we do not know what Ned's dreams had been but  Cat had wanted Brandon while Ned did not really impress her in the beginning.

I am of course speculating, like the SanSan fan do as well. We all may end as fools in the end or we cheer as  "I Told You So"s. But I believe that I have very good reasons for my prediction.

To me, when Sansa said 'What if I never want to' it was not foreshadowing but a realisation on her part that she could have desires of her own (or lack of them, in this case). It was Sansa realising that what she wanted might not be accordance with what she was expected to want as a dutiful wife with no choice of husband (even in the best of circumstances). I see it as a rejection of Septa Mordane's teachings that she should look for the beauty in whatever man was chosen for her. Sansa is starting to want her own choice and she never really sees Tyrion as anything but the least worst Lannister.

I'm not convinced by the Elizabeth of York/Henry V11 parallels as their betrothal was first mooted by Elizabeth Woodville as a way to oppose the man she saw as her real enemy, Richard 111. It was only the delay in action by Henry that led Elizabeth Woodville to make an uneasy peace with Richard.

I agree, though, that romantically happy ending cannot be guaranteed.

3 minutes ago, brightflame princess said:

You.didn't see his little nod? It's so obvious what he is thinking when.Sophie says that! 

I would vehemently disagree with that. Your purely speculating what he is thinking and projecting your own wishes. Not that it was even a significant enough motion to warrant any meaning out of it at all, but GRRM could very well have been thinking Ha, It'll be a hot summers day in the Land of Always Winter before that ever happens. If this is evidence supporting Tyrion/Sansa, your carrying a wooden broom handle into a fight with three fire breathing Dragons. 

... DRACARYS!!

3 minutes ago, Darkstream said:

I would vehemently disagree with that. Your purely speculating what he is thinking and projecting your own wishes. Not that it was even a significant enough motion to warrant any meaning out of it at all, but GRRM could very well have been thinking Ha, It'll be a hot summers day in the Land of Always Winter before that ever happens. If this is evidence supporting Tyrion/Sansa, your carrying a wooden broom handle into a fight with three fire breathing Dragons. 

... DRACARYS!!

Yeah, he was chuckling. What she's saying is nothing like the books at all. That's not even like the show. She said on the inside the episode, "Marrying Tyrion was the worst day of Sansa's life." Why would an acclaimed author be nodding to something that's so different from his books, said by an actress who often says very different things?

8 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

Yeah, he was chuckling. What she's saying is nothing like the books at all. That's not even like the show. She said on the inside the episode, "Marrying Tyrion was the worst day of Sansa's life." Why would an acclaimed author be nodding to something that's so different from his books, said by an actress who often says very different things?

I know so many of the actors are discouraged from reading the books, and a small few have read them (RIP). I can't remember, did Sophie read any books to help her be able to predict any Sansa-Tyrion meetup? 

7 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

I know so many of the actors are discouraged from reading the books, and a small few have read them (RIP). I can't remember, did Sophie read any books to help her be able to predict any Sansa-Tyrion meetup? 

She said she used to read her chapters, but then stopped. She said the books were hard to read...

I see no reason to bash Sophie Turner (apart from seeing no reason to bash anyone)

Her Sansa has made the character far more grownup, far more conflicted and ambiguous, in short far more interesting to me than she has been in the books so far. And the actress has learned so much!

I guess book Sansa will get where show Sansa already is and I finally will be hugely interested in her book character as well. The showmakers for sure know more than we do.

9 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

:huh: hmmm. Thank you. 

Just to confirm, indeed, that was what Turner has said (here's one example, and after this, she stopped reading at all: "The books are really complicated, I can only just about manage the TV series... only my chapters, so it's not too many pages.")

But if one does consider Turner's remarks (and someone else brought it up as "confirmation"), it's only fair to also note that she has indeed been inconsistent with these remarks, and interestingly, she has been consistent that Sansa and Tyrion is platonic.

For example, she said in an HBO video "Marrying Tyrion was the worst day of Sansa's life." She also said "Sansa's not in love with Tyrion." And she always qualifies remarks with "Not in that way" as in, platonic. As she did in the video referenced in the post above.

What really matters about a story is the story. The text, the scenes. That's the story.

Also, while book Sansa is a much more fully developed character, I think the show will provide a similar ending to her story. In reference to the OP, there are two big developments: The Tyrion marriage was tossed out. And Sandor is back, and headed north.

13 hours ago, Woman of War said:

I see no reason to bash Sophie Turner (apart from seeing no reason to bash anyone)

Her Sansa has made the character far more grownup, far more conflicted and ambiguous, in short far more interesting to me than she has been in the books so far. And the actress has learned so much!

I guess book Sansa will get where show Sansa already is and I finally will be hugely interested in her book character as well. The showmakers for sure know more than we do.

Yes, yes, I’m okay. You’re okay. Everyone is Okay. Nobody’s opinions or actions should ever be criticized, or subjected to scrutiny, because golly that’s “bashing” or somebody’s feelings might get hurt or something.

Saying that a public figure’s statements, like Ms. Turner, are off limits is like saying it’s inappropriate to criticize some well known politician's public statements or pronouncements because you might “bash” them. Of course, that is just preposterous.

I have nothing against Ms. Turner and I really know little about her. I’m sure she is a fine young woman. That said, some of her comments about GOT, ASOIAF, or the character of Sansa Stark does at times cause me to raise my eyebrow. I am just not quite confident that she really knows what she is talking about or is any kind of persuasive authority on the character of Sansa Stark.

If Ms. Turner’s statements are going to be used as “evidence” regarding Sansa Stark, then surely it is appropriate to delve into her prior statements or actions to assess her general level credibility on that matter. And surely it’s appropriate to look at the surrounding context of which those statements were made. And surely it’s appropriate to inquire whether particular statements she has made have been consistent over time.

It’s like you want to submit a piece of evidence to make your case and then when somebody seeks to question it, the response is “you can’t do that! That’s bashing! You can’t touch my evidence here!”. What a bunch of horseshit.

10 hours ago, Darkstream said:

... DRACARYS!!

And you are allowed to disagree, just as I'm allowed to form an opinion. I never said it was evidence, just that it convinced me that they will eventually meet up. If you are trying to sway me to agree with your opinion, you could try being a little nicer. People listen more when you are kind.

To me the nod doesn't prove anything, but it seems to me that he is discreetly agreeing that they could be a power couple in the future. 

10 hours ago, Le Cygne said:

There is still plenty of unpublished material left. Yeah it's different from the books that are out now.. but we have no idea how those last books will turn out. Speculation is part of the fun.  

And it doesn't matter that she is inconsistent. In this particular video, she said something and GEORGE had a reaction. 

Let's not forget that kit harrington told us he wouldn't even be in season 6. Obviously these actors are often told what to say, to keep us in the dark.

So yeah, sansa doesn't love tyrion, but there's plenty of time for that to change. Even if they aren't in love, they may still be married and they could reunite and be a powerful couple with a lot of influence. 

I'm not acting like I know, I just have my own opinion about that nod. That's ok right? Isn't that the point of this site? To speculate? You are acting like I'm crazy, but there isn't any direct evidence against my opinion. 

Also.. He was chuckling? There's no proof for that. You don't know any more than I do.

12 minutes ago, brightflame princess said:

And you are allowed to disagree, just as I'm allowed to form an opinion. I never said it was evidence, just that it convinced me that they will eventually meet up. If you are trying to sway me to agree with your opinion, you could try being a little nicer. People listen more when you are kind.

To me the nod doesn't prove anything, but it seems to me that he is discreetly agreeing that they could be a power couple in the future. 

I'm not trying to sway you of anything, and I respect your right to inform your own opinion. And I don't see how you think I was being mean? I was simply pointing out that what you claimed was obvious, certainly was not. 

2 minutes ago, Darkstream said:

I'm not trying to sway you of anything, and I respect your right to inform your own opinion. And I don't see how you think I was being mean? I was simply pointing out that what you claimed was obvious, certainly was not. 

I didn't say you were mean, just that you could be nicer.

It's funny because you think I'm forcing my own opinion to fit with the video, but that wasn't my opinion to start with. I don't care if sansa and tyrion meet up again. Tyrion can do much better. So no, I formed that opinion when I read the post and watched the video.

Some of you need to accept that there won't be any Tyrion-Sansa or even Sandor-Sansa relationship in the future.

I must admit I like LF as a complex character and I don't like Sansa. Because of that I don't like LF around Sansa but everything points to their marriage or partnership. Sansa will be together with LF and when the time comes she will choose him over her family in the end and they will both die eventually.

George RR Martin's letter about the original ending reveals one person from each family (the Starks and the Lannisters) is destined to betray his/her family. They are Tyrion and Sansa. Tyrion already did that. As for Sansa, in the original ending she was supposed to marry Joffrey and give birth to his child and eventually choose Joffrey over her family. It's obvious that LF replaced Joffrey in that betrayal plot.

I have a feeling Arya may kill Sansa, after killing LF and putting his face on :)

Archived